Re: Definition of Nautical Abreviations

July 01, 2002 at 18:26:03
In Reply to: Definition of Nautical Abreviations
posted by Robert Gecy on June 30, 2002 at 21:54:40

If your US charts follow the British Admiralty (BA) code, as I suspect they do. A wreck is marked by an oval with an antenna type mark inside it, Sometimes they put a note next to it, such a PA (position approximate) or A (Actual). They also use Wk for wreck. I have found that a lot of the A's arent that actual.

The people that sell charts should have a booklet that explains what everything is on a chart.

The hydrographic division of a navy make charts and release what information they want for common use. If in the course of doing a survey, they run across something proud of the seabed, they may simply put it down as Obstr (Obstruction).


post reply