Anyone in Upstate NY....near schenectady.......

R

Rich

Hello everyone,my name is rich and im lookn to see if anyone has info on
"Luna Park,Rexford Park,Palisades Park" in or around Rexford NY.....there were lots of names to this amusment park and was shut down 60 or 70 yrs ago.....if anyone is from around schenectady and has found the old park or even hunted in it,please tell me.also does anyone else live around Schenectady?..for yous that dont know Schenectady NY is a metal detectorists dream, 400 yrs of history in this region makes it great for coin shootin and anykind of detectin......but any info would be appericated...thx

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all under houses now rich.....yes I live in Rotterdam a few minutes away from there...one section left is a very nice home and the fella there has so many pics of the park you would think he owned it. Well he wont allow anyone to step foot for detecting...he had many troubles in the past...and oh yes Sch'dy is fine with history for sure......you can try doing some lawns over there and may make out ok but it is all gone and built on now :>(.....good luck Brian(upstateNY)

OP
OP
R

Rich

Thx for the info..but i took a drive to where snyder lane ends and seen all the houses and fences,so i went over near lock 8 instead next to the old canal and found some old 22 cal casings,..ive been huntn around the old stone bridge"built 1822" near the Maybee farm,some good hits there but nothn great,collins park is good,found a cheap gold ring plus some wheats on a hour hunt there,....ever try Front Street park or central park? i wanted to try out vale but im gonna wait for my pistol permit for that "not to safe in those parts"....any suggestions on where to go?

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stone bridge near the boat launch you mean?....near a big brick house?????.... maybee farm is near another house(Indians own) no bridge there tho.I live up the road from the maybee farm about 5 minutes away.Collins park is off limits and they will kick you out of there so watch that...it's a protected area, Front street I hvae not been there in a long long time you can hunt there :)....central park.....is trash city but many areas there to hunt :).....dont hunt in front of the main building tho they will ask you to not dig holes but if your on the out skirts they wont bother you...best time there is the weekends so no one bothers you...as for Vale I have never gone there but was thinking about it too ;>).....but like you why ask for trouble that I dont want....steinmentz park is another thats fine to hunt..... also never had trouble at any schools either

OP
OP
R

Rich

yes,the stone bride next the boat launch,the maybee farm was the only big landmark i knew to explain where it was....but i hunt on the woody overgrown right side of it "looking at the bride from the road",i found a big silver cross there as well as some newer coins and im waiting for the creek bed to dry up a bit so i can dig without the water fillin my holes...
but i recently hunted in collins park and the maitnence men didnt even bother with me....plus i never new it was protected,so i guess i wont go back there,central is trashy and just to many people there,so ill wait till it rains out to hunt there,and front street i never did,but figured after all the flooding from the past 100 or so years it really wouldnt be worth the effort cause all the good old stuff would be to well coverd by years and years of dirt.......stiementz i never hunted before and maybe ill go outhere one day....i live near the old draper school "bank owns now" and they dont like anyone on thier property,
but vale park and the cem,man i would probly figure that that area would be a gold mine,but its to damn risky there thats why i would want my pistol permit plus id like a better detector than my trusty BH pioneer202 cause all the garbage,and the city should clean it up really good and fix all the graves and that and made safe for the public...
hey did you ever hear about the old baseball field on vanslycik island "i spelt it wrong",i want to hunt there but u need a boat and some good high boots.i have a few other places to ask ya about to but i have to go...but thx

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure did here of the island park(Glenotia park)....ya it was flooded 5 yrs in a row now so stuff(most is deep)...I went to a mill site today a bit......1905 V-nickel.1962 rosey dime and some crap but it was good enough for all the rain weve had here.I have a few units.ML XS-ML XSII-Whites MXT and Fisher C$....let me know when you want to hit stenmentz park.got lots of silvers out of there 2-3-4-5 yrs in a row now([email protected])...I go all over when it's not rainin but mostly cellar hole hunts for old coppers or Lg cents...I love the old stuff

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres a few from today rich.dint have much time tho......

had things to do but managed a few :lol: this is the mill I went to, I have gotten many nice finds from here too...HH Bri

Dave (Pa)

Mar 19, 2003
Dunmore, Pa.
The only Luna Park I know of was located in Scranton Pa. and closed durring the turn of the century. It now sports rt 81 through the middle of it and holds several high tention lines running across the gordge! Is this your Park?

OP
OP
R

Rich

nice pics brian.....whats the history with that sire with the mill?,im waitn for my gradfather to come back from a trip and hes gonna show me an old house site in the middle of the woods near berne"i think".ill get ahold of ya when i go up to stimentez "hopefully soon"...ive been doin some readin from an old history book about schenectady,ive been tryin to put toghter bits of infomation about a indian battle in rotterdam....i have to dig out the old postcard pic i found on ebay once and post it...plus i have some pics of old maps ill put up also.....celler huntn sounds fun...whats your best find from celler huntn? ill have pics of some of my best finds real soon.but gotta run

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my best finds well I love em all :).....NJ coppers...connecticut coppers.....1795 1/2 cent......1804 lg cent :) are but a few of them....just love old coppers the most I guess :). I m always posting pics of my digs and finds...best luck and HH

heres a link to some of last yrs stuff ;) http://community.webshots.com/user/valbrian

OP
OP
R

Rich

hey brian,have u ever hunted the 2 abondoned houses next to the road going to lock 8..thier about 1/2 mile from the parking lot down the road.....
plus have u ever found or hunted where the old cambell racetrack was? im tryin to find it and i only have some old maps and hearsay to pinpoint where it is....any info on that?...thx

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey heres some from today ;).........1903 V nickel and 1816 lg cent are the better finds :) went out for 21/2hrs this am

yes I have and the race track is a private business now just across from Mobile Gas on campbell rd(rice rd)..Have not asked in many yrs to hunt the race track area but they would not allow it and it is all chain link fenced in too. The two aboandoned houses were just a few silvers and wheats etc...there is a cellar hole just past them down the road on the left about 1/4 mile.....hey right across from the 2 brick buildings I got some nice silvers(seateds) when Union collage cleared out the old erie canal lock before they built the new gate keepers house....I was down in the canal diggin away it was all cleared out for me :)........HH Bri

OP
OP
R

Rich

wow...nice finds!! belive it or not i found more jewlery than old coins,...that 1 cent looks to be in really good shape and must have been in the ground for awhile...hey i have a airel view of the two old buildings next to lock 8,and ill try to post it with this message..where abouts is that celler near the 2 abondoned buildings,is it past the bridges?,..i might of found a site,but i still have to check it out,its on the bike path near lock 8 ,i havent checked it out though and will probly do so when i have a bit of extra time,but ill try to get a map of it and post it for ya.....as for the racetrack,id like to hunt but as you said its closed off...as for the canal though,i remember me and my father "20yrs ago" we use to climb into it near lock8 and when you said you hunted in the one near union,any good finds?....i have some info on barges sinking in the canal in the schenec/scotia area but pinpointing where would be a problem....one of the stories of 1 of the barges is that on the fourth of july in the 1800's a group of drunk men loaded on a barge with fireworks and it accendently blew up....lol...illl look for the info tonight and post what else it says,but ill try to post this map so u can so me where the celler is.....thx

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stay on the road from the intersection Rich and go towards the lock, before you reach the first house on the left side going towards the lock it will be on you left side before the posted signs and right off the road....but very hard to see but a huge cellar hole....there will be guardrails on the right side of the road across from it. The lock I hunted in the canal is directly across from this pic you posted, union collage remade the lock tenders shed and painted yellow

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
You guys are killing me!!!!!! Next time i am up in Nichols NY, I might have to drive up another hour and kidnap you! Good job, GREAT find!!!

HH
Chiz
8)

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx folks.....heres another cool one ;)

also found at a cellar hole on my property the gold pc and NJ copper along with the Nova constelatio, I do a lot of woods scanning to find some coppers tho ;).......enjoy all

OP
OP
R

Rich

wow.....crazy finds man!,i gotta start huntn for cellers....i might check out that celler near the lock this weekend,...and hop into the canalway to...well i know that one canal barge in the mid 1800's "blew up" right at the front of mohawk island "lookin from the island to the scotia bridge",but its probly totally coverd over by mud and years of debris,also there was a train derailment that went into the river somewhere..but the little info i have on it really dosesnt say where it plunged and it only says that "the engine and 9 cars full of goods fell to thier demise".....any other good spots that you know of? im postn another pic of the old canalway...its pretty cool lookin....thx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread