2006 silver and best coin

Foiled Again

Oct 30, 2006
Thunder Bay Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Explorer SE Pro
Happy New Year:

Here is some pics of most of the silver coins I found last year. I think I have more somewhere but not a lot.

silverheadside.JPG

None of them have much value other than bullion so I shined them up. The 1968 dimes are only 50% silver but the older coins are 80% silver.

silverdateside.JPG

Not finding much silver coinage. The dfx is very positive when it sees silver so my best guess is that I am not looking in the right places. Have to start researching and expand into other areas. Maybe I spent too much time picking up clad coins. I found a total of $91.54 in new coins.

Here is the oldest coin I found in 2006 and also the oldest coin so far. Its been soaking in olive oil since June and I think it is as clean as I can get it without ruining it. Its a 1909 Canadian large cent, about the size of a half dollar coin.

lgcenthead.JPG

Here is the back side of it. I doubt if it is worth much but it was fun finding something that old. I could barely read the date when I pulled it out of the dirt.

lgcenttail.JPG

Any ideas on how to get the rest of the gunk off of this coin without destroying it?

Thanks for looking,

Foiled Again

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Nice finds. You might try soaking the cent in hot hydrogen peroxide, and then very gently scrub it. I use a toothbrush on the clad stuff and pennies I find, but that might be too harsh for a nice coin like that cent.

Mike

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet canadian silver!

HH
-GC