UPDATED: 77 Rings & the REST of my 2007 finds w/pics (check out 2 sets of teeth)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: UPDATED: 12/30: 77 Rings: Gold & Silver (found a gold ring today)

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!!! ;)

The rings are really pretty too.......

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe

Does the signal show up in the Nichol and pulltab range? Thanks!!!!!

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

I've updated this post with the rest of my finds for 2007.

Ray S~Answer to strategies I have learned from my dad and from the vetern hunters on TNET:

1. I choose a place to hunt that I know for a fact LOTS of people go for recreation. My personal favorites are lake parks (lots of jewelry lost). I am beginning to really like the woodchips where kiddos play thanks to BDOOs posts and inspirational finds!

2. Check the hole after finding a coin or jewelry. Yep, nothing will put your underwear in a bunch more than having your metal detecting buddy find a quarter(s) in a hole you dug with your blood, sweat, and tears, because you were in a hurry to detect the rest of the area. Not that has ever happened to me personally….ehem…..

3. Trash doesn't have to be a bad thing (when you have a small coil). Yes, you read correctly, trash can be good! Trash tells me that people have been in the area I am hunting. The amount tells me HOW many people go there. The KIND of trash has helped me date the area I am hunting (old pull tabs vs. new, old popbottles, etc). I especially like to see beer, or wine trash! Those folks don’t know how NOT to lose their money and jewelry at the beach. Twisted, I know, but it works for me!

4. I used to find more at the beginning of a hunt than at the end. I think I have an idea of why that is true for me. At the beginning of a hunt I swing slow and low. At the end of the hunt I am kind of making a happy face with my coil, know what I mean? At the beginning of the hunt I dig EVERYTHING. At the end, just the “good sounds.” I usually grid the area out in the beginning. At the end of the hunt, I just kind of willy-nilly it.

5. Speakinig of Gridding the area! I have proven it to myself time and again that I will find more coins and jewelry when I take the time to grid out the area I am going to hunt. When I grid, I miss less treasure. As an example: I was hunting an area a treasure club hunts a lot and one of the detectorist told me to not waste my time (he wasn't being snarky...he really was trying to be nice), because they have hunted it out! I smiled and said thank you, but continued to hunt in a grid. I found a gold ring by a bunch of poptops......Notice I didn’t say I would get ALL treasure! Which brings me to number 6....

6. No place is ever hunted out. I tried to hunt out an area, and what I found was that nature can cover, and uncover treasure. An area that has 2 or 3 inches of sand or soil removed WILL equal more coins and treasure. People will also continue to lose things in a hunted out area.

7. There is treasure by trees, bushes, and big rocks. I have found many a coin and ring by, and under this stuff. If I am in a good area (one that is producing coins) I will move these things if I can. If not, I swing all around them and listen for tone or whisper.

8. Finding lots of quarters or keys means I have found an area that is not hunted much by other detectorists! They will miss dimes, and nickels; but, they don't consistently miss quarters or keys. Has anyone else surmised this as well? I have also found that when I find a lot of quarters in a hunting area that I find jewelry too.

9. Treasure is in the eye of the beholder! I never, and I mean NEVER have a bad hunt. I have hunts where I find more, or better treasure than others; however, just being outdoors in the fresh air is wonderful. I like the physical activity, and the joy of the hunt. The anticipation of the dig. That's what keeps me interested in the MDing.

10. Turn down the discrimination. I remember how excited I was to have a machine that would cancel out/discriminate trash. Woo-hoo! I would only find coins and treasure. Not true....I have an older whites classic. When I use high discrimination, I lose depth. Plus, trash will mask the good stuff. PERIOD! The only time I use discrimination is when I have less than an hour to hunt, or I am feeling discouraged from digging to much trash. I flip over to discriminate, find a few coins or whatever, and back to no discrimination I go! I will also put the detector on discriminate to case out a new hunting area. If I find clad and/or silver, I turn down the discrimination and start digging trash.

11. Gold sounds and looks like foil or a nickel! Did I mention to turn down the discrimination and dig everything? Enough said!

12. Depth. I think how much depth you need is based on what you're hunting, where you are hunting!For me, because of my dad's machine (Explorer: which by the way can hear sounds at the center of the earth's core), I know I may be missing some deeper targets (8 inches or more)... However, most of my good finds have been no more than 5 to six inches deep......I hunt at a fresh water lake that has sand and rocks.

13. Hunting alone. Being females we have to be very careful when hunting. I walk tall (I am about 5' 10") and carry a wicked looking knife for digging, or if need be, carving me up a little "would be" threat to my metal detecting day. Seriously.....I never go out without letting my husband know where I am. I carry my cell phone at all times. I have a detecting buddy. When she can't go out with me, I only hunt when I know some people will be where I am hunting. Safety in numbers......I do get a few more questions from folks, but I have also found some new places to hunt by talking to them.

Hope this helps! Happy New Year!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 2,362
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,342
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,325
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,300
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2,285
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2,261
  • pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 2,251
  • pic8.jpg
    pic8.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,211

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: UPDATED: 12/31: 77 Rings & the REST of my 2007 finds w/pics

Awesome finds and nice post! You going to tumble those pennies? HH, Mike

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

WOW!!....(and I DO mean WOW!!).

What a great bunch of finds. I also cut and pasted your 13 ideas. Yeah, I know most of them BUT I need constant reminding.

You have inspired me to post my 2007 ring finds here too...it sure is fun seeing what everyone finds.

HH Joe

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Great first photo...your pic did outshine all the jewelry...kind of distracting..... but the jewelry is nice too... great year...........

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your 13 is what I have lived by for the last 10 yrs! Great post and inspiration for all! Congrats!

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Finds Iskuli!

I always love your post, cause I love rings! You always got something nice to see! Congrats on all the finds this year and sorry you couldnt make the goal! I know you will tear it up next year! Good luck and have a great new year!

CRACKBADGER

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iskuli,
All around.. beautiful rings and blings!!!

Looks like the Mary Kay products are doing wonders for your hands and nails.
From the looks of it, some of these guys could benefit from you products.

Very nice post always look forward to seeing your rings.

You are the Queen of the Rings and Crackbadger is King of the Rings.
LOL!!!

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

Mike~Where could I get a good tumbler? I had one a few years ago and it leaked and broke shortly thereafter! Does everyone else tumble there clad also?

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: UPDATED: 77 Rings & the REST of my 2007 finds w/pics (check out 2 sets of te

Iskuli, Kellyco has the same tumbler I bought two years ago for the same price of $60.00, it works great but I only tumble a few times a year as I do not coin shoot much, it has more than paid for itself. Check it out at http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/coinitems.htm . HH, Mike

Loosemoose

Jun 13, 2007
Sydney Australia
Detector(s) used
Excal
Re: UPDATED: 77 Rings & the REST of my 2007 finds w/pics (check out 2 sets of te

Wow, that''s one inspirational photo, thanks for sharing your hunting tips Iskuli, keep swingin.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iskuli,
Thank you *SO* much for your pointers that you've given on this thread. I just started really fooling around with the settings on my White IDX Pro, and I realized that when I turned up the discrimination, I found LOTS of coins. It was a good feeling, but I had a feeling that I may have been missing stuff. You definitely confirmed my feelings... and I'm going to go back to the place I detected on Sunday, down the road from my church. The place I detected is where the Spanish explorer, Panfilo de Narvaez landed in 1528! So the place definitely has history behind it, both modern and ancient. I used to do some archaeological digs with my group back in high school at this area, and found some good Native American artifacts from the site (i.e. Pottery shards, Pinellas Points, etc.). I'm really excited to go back now. I'll dig up as much trash signals as I have to in order to find some significant finds. You may not know, but should I switch out my big Pro coil for the smaller sniper-type coil that's made for trashy areas? Or would it do any good? I already get a ton of signals as it is.
Thanks again!!

Bran <><

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident

congrats on the awesome year & hope 2008 is as kind,nice job :) :) :) :)

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Re: UPDATED: 77 Rings & the REST of my 2007 finds w/pics (check out 2 sets of teeth)

Bran, I would definately recommend the sniper coil for trashy areas! The problem with trashy areas is that good sounds will mingle, or bounce off the trash. I have proven to myself, time and again, that if I am in an area that people swim, or do sports, they ARE going to lose jewelry. Unfortunately, to find it, you've got to be willing to pull up the junk. I like a larger coil for fields; such as, a soccer fields. It takes forever to grid out a soccer field with a smaller coil. Take it slow and overlap your swings. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: UPDATED: 77 Rings & the REST of my 2007 finds w/pics (check out 2 sets of teeth)

THE FIRST THINK I DO WHEN I SEE A HOT CHICK IS LOOK FOR A RING

SHOOT.....LOL

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iskuli said:
Mike~Where could I get a good tumbler? I had one a few years ago and it leaked and broke shortly thereafter! Does everyone else tumble there clad also?

Iskuli,
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they have a great single barrel rock tumbler for about $30. I think it is a Chicago brand?
I use one of them on my clad coins, and other hard to clean small relics. It works great.
Good luck,
MM

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a fantastic haul........I think I just might have to check out some of those old park sites I have been putting off for the past few years. Relic hunting has taken up plenty of my time over the years. But looking at those great ring finds. I might have to make a few changes this detecting season and check out those old school sites and parks! Great job! WTG Good luck in 2008 ........Hit that goal! :) :) :)

The Seeker

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iskuli said:
Bran, I would definately recommend the sniper coil for trashy areas! The problem with trashy areas is that good sounds will mingle, or bounce off the trash. I have proven to myself, time and again, that if I am in an area that people swim, or do sports, they ARE going to lose jewelry. Unfortunately, to find it, you've got to be willing to pull up the junk. I like a larger coil for fields; such as, a soccer fields. It takes forever to grid out a soccer field with a smaller coil. Take it slow and overlap your swings. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna switch out coils and hit up that place again... :)
I don't mind digging up the trash. Kinda makes me feel good that I'm finding something period, plus I'm cleaning up the area or beach.

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread