Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don's 2007 Coins and some Relics

When I worked in the Military I had fun making MS Excel charts for morning meetings and sort of missed doing it and tried making one up for my 2007 coin keepers. Did not come too bad for a simple program, the hard part was finding the coins.

2007 ended up being a rather good year for me coin wise but not relics wise, however, it was still a great year. I believe all of my finds were found in wooded settings, no field finds this year at all, except that Standing Liberty Quarter which was on the edge of a field in a fire ditch.

May all have a great 2008 for hunting, how ever or whatever you look for

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• 2007coin graph.JPG
    2007coin graph.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,195
  • COINS 2007txtreduced.jpg
    COINS 2007txtreduced.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • additional two coins.jpg
    additional two coins.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • 18thCenturyItems.jpg
    18thCenturyItems.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,182
  • bellnavy.jpg
    bellnavy.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • BikeTrivit.jpg
    BikeTrivit.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,161

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Don's 2007 Coins and some Relics

ooooooh look at you & your fancy bar chart :D :D :D

Seriously good year, well done. Keep up the good work in 2008.

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Great post. Can't wait to see next years chart!

KG6YLL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

well seems most of your coins are after 1900 ---which is par for the course -- since modern money is the most comman type of coins found -- and clad even more common -- every try sorting your coin finds by % found in a spot?-- say -- zinc cents -- old cents --nickles new after 38 --pre 38 -- then clad dimes,quarters and halves vs silver ones to see what % of your find are new vs old to pin point older coin hot spots and high yeild clad areas -- sometimes reveiwing your records will surprize you --- Ivan

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Very nice work Don..Any info on the anchor piece? I love all the coins and relics goodluck in 2008..Relicdude

F

Felinepeachy

DANG!!! you had a great year!! :o ;D I want a chart like that for my pulltabs. LOL

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
well seems most of your coins are after 1900 ---which is par for the course -- since modern money is the most comman type of coins found -- and clad even more common -- every try sorting your coin finds by % found in a spot?-- say -- zinc cents -- old cents --nickles new after 38 --pre 38 -- then clad dimes,quarters and halves vs silver ones to see what % of your find are new vs old to pin point older coin hot spots and high yeild clad areas -- sometimes reveiwing your records will surprize you --- Ivan

Hehee, I already have done stat work on the finds, but what I want to keep account of. :)

One thing I agree with Kirk and the BDD gang is, I do not search for clad and if I find it, I find it, but where I hunt it is usually only found in relation with hunters/hikers/party goers losing it.

Don

Attachments

• stats.JPG
    stats.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,107

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II

Nicely done, Don--

Here's hoping you have an even better year in 2008, and your back too...

You kick butt Don! I always enjoy seeing your posts...

Joel

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds for the year! The chart is a great idea .I would do one but a chart of wheat pennies would not be the same.LOL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

seems your locked in on the local 1796 tp 1857 time frame half cent areas rather nicely --- good researching pays off --- Ivan

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Don,

You had a righteous year, my friend. :) Keep searching for the oldies!

I always enjoy your coppa threads. Dang it, now go get that Spanish wilver! :P :D

BDD...Kirk

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What an outstanding year Don,something I can only dream of.The amount of LC's is incredible....Good Luck in 08'!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

birdman said:
Very nice finds for the year! The chart is a great idea .I would do one but a chart of wheat pennies would not be the same.LOL

Hilarious Birdman. ;D

Don,
Your post and finds is fantastic. You have the job. I will set you up a nice cubicle so you can do charts all day long. ;D
That chart is great, but I really like the way you displayed you coins in that display box, and showing both sides of the coins. Very impressive.
I can't even imagine finding the old coins that you have, so I'll just drool over yours. ;)
Congrats Don. A fantastic 2007 for you.
-MM-
Doug

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RELICDUDE07 said:
Very nice work Don..Any info on the anchor piece? I love all the coins and relics goodluck in 2008..Relicdude

Never got a definitive answer on the anchor piece. Sent the photos to Mark Parker at Western and Eastern and he came up empty. There were two others, similar that were posted on this forum, with a guess attribution I think, but I don't remember what it was. Comfy in Vt found one of them and can't recall the other individual. So they were somewhat mass produced, since all three were found in different sections of the country. Wish I had more to say, but it is a nice display piece.

Don

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

It looks very old .. I hope you find out just what it is oneday..I love all the coins too.You sure know where to look ;) The large cents you have found, would give me a stroke :'(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're lucky Don, you can post the years totals and get right back to it for 2008. It's gonna be quite a while before some of us are digging anything other then snow. :-\

In some ways my hunting seems very opposite of yours, all my finds are from open fields and not woods, and 2007 was definitely a relics year. It was the first year where I hunted many new sites and didn't find a single Spanish silver, although I did take a visitor to an area and he dug a cob. Detecting sure is funny like that, 4 times I have dug two early silver (1700s) in a single hunt but 2007 only gave me one total.

Looking forward to your future digs!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Don,
Lot's of nice old coins. Very nice. The overall composite is nice but looses detail(I know - it would be too many pictures individually).

You were right about your prediction of old coins per site at 4-5. At least for the one site Dan found. Dan and I thought we were going to beat the odds. We found the 5 quickly but lot's of hours later -no more. Not to be. Maybe 2008.

Good luck in '08.

Bob

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Simply amazing.

Attachments

• 36.gif
    36.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 867

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread