2008- My First Year Detecting - Beat Expectations

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I had the idea to start metal around November '07, and quickly found this forum. After researching metal detector reviews and watching the finds forum, I decided to purchase a Minelab Explorer SE. I made this purchase despite the drawbacks I read about on the forums. Supposedly, the machine couldn't find nickels, couldn't pinpoint, was nearly impossible to learn, and was generally not worth the money. Let me tell you, that anyone who tells you these things, is dead wrong. I was able to get the basics within the first couple of hunts, and I was so green I didn't even know what "threshold" was. As the year progressed, I started to grow confident and began digging deep silver coins in hunted out areas. After digging a very legitimate 13" Silver Rosie, I knew I had arrived.
IF ANYONE SEES ANYTHING THEY WANT A BETTER PICTURE OF, PLEASE PM. I AM HAPPY TO SHARE IN THESE TREASURES.
I wanted to find 100 silver coins in my first year, and I became a bit obsessed with the quest. I was able to hit this number in July, and then I really slowed down. I won't be setting any goals this year, except I want to find a Seated Silver and a Barber Half Dollar. Beyond that, I would like to find more gold.
I want to thank everyone who helped me along the way. In particular, Captain SE and Silver Freak graciously helped me with the settings on my machine and were a constant inspiration with their finds.
Now for the fun stuff:
I found 148 Silver Coins for my first year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6 War Nickels
12 Barber Dimes
60 Mercury Dimes
36 Silver Rosies
3 Barber Quarters
4 Standing Liberty Quarters
23 Silver Washington Quarters
3 Silver Half Dollars(2 Walkers, 1 Franklin)
1 1802 Spanish 1 Reale
Here is the "Pile"
2008totalsa.jpg

This picture is of my favorite coins for the year. Top Row: 1898O and 1897O Barber Dimes. Second Row 1895S Barber Quarter and 1929 Standing Liberty Quarter. Third Row: 1881 Indian Head(Perfect Condition), 1802 1 Reale, 1889 Indian Head (Perfect Condition). Bottom Row 3 Halves
2008totalsb.jpg

This picture is all the Barber Coins I found (15):
2008totalsc.jpg

This picture is all my Indian Heads. Total was 29, with 13 different dates filled into the folder. Oldest was 1865.
2008totalse.jpg

This picture represents all the better jewelry and silver items. Gold was a 14K bug charm, 14K Nugget Ring, 14 White Gold Watch, and not pictured was a 10K 1970 class ring I returned to the owner. I was barely thanked for returning the ring.
My favorite silver ring is the big one with the turquiose and mother of pearl stones.
2008totalsd.jpg

This picture represents odds and ends. There are some nice tokens, better tags, military buttons, boyscout items, religous pendants, locks, keys..... You get the idea.
2008totalsf.jpg

In conclusion, I decided not to post the clad or wheats. I am really not sure on the counts, but I am certain I had more than 500 wheat pennies. I didn't count the clad, but it fills most of a square Priority Mail box, and weighs a bunch. I also found 12 Buffalo Nickels and 4 V Nickels that I didn't picture.

Hope everyone has a great 09.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome Jon! You found some great stuff, hope '09 is just as kind to you!

Nat

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Nice job Jon,you can't beat having Capt Se and Silverfreak on your side. Those guys KNOW their SE's. Good luck in the new year!!!
Jerry

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Jon,

That's an awesome set of finds and pics of your first year of detecting with your SE!! The more you use the SE, the more you will find, and the more you will want your silver fix! ;D

I'm glad I helped to get you on the right path in the beginning! I think we both wouldn't want each other to hunt in our respective locales....there would be nothing left to find by now. ;D ::)

Congrats!! Hoping you will find that seated you're looking for this year. They're really tough to find in my area too. I'm only averaging 1 seated a year the past two years.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a fantastic first year! It's a fantastic year even for a seasoned hunter.

Love the reale! :thumbsup:

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Pretty impressive Jon! It really looks amazing to see them all layed out like that. Congrats.
Chuck

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW . . . . . . that's some impressive finds for your first year of detecting! ! ! ! ! AWESOME!!!!

WOOHOO~~~ CONGRAT'S on a great year of detecting!

Neil

8^)

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs! I can't wait to see your posts for this year. HH :thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds, Jon :thumbsup: Wishing you all the best with finds in '09...Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

:wink: RR

P

Pentico

WOW! What a awesome first year!

Congratulations!

Continued success in 09! :thumbsup:

DN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions