A day at the beach

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I was fortunate enough to stumble onto this excellent hobby this summer. I was racking my brain for ideas for a hobby that would bring in more than I would have to spend. I bought my first detector in late June, and used it almost every day for 3 weeks in the dry sand. It was then I decided to give this hobby a real go, and bought an Excal 2. I have spent many countless hours scouring the beach, and I have been rewarded many times over.

While I have a lot of photos, 4 finds stand out that I have no pictures of. These were items that I found and returned to people that had lost them. The first was a gold toe ring in the dry sand. Not only was she estatic, but her friend bought my wife and I dinner to thank us for it. Prime rib and shrimp - it was great! The second return I made was another ring lost in the dry sand. I found it in 2 seconds, and she was in tears. She had spent hours digging in the sand looking for it. I was rewarded with $24 for this find. The third was a purse I found on a lifeguard chair at 6 am. It was returned by 8 am the same day, and she gave me a great big hug as thanks. The fourth item I was able to return was a cell phone buried in the dry sand after a concert. I gave the phone to my wife, and soon after, the owner called it. We did not recieve a reward, but thats not always what counts. She did write us a nice letter saying thank you.

As for the rest, I kept it all! Well, some things I gave to kids on the beach. Some I gave to friends and family, but overall, I have a large horde of saved items.

pirate1.JPG
A picture showing some miscellanious things I found over the year.
watch.JPG
Sunglasses and eye glasses. I found many more than this, but the rest were given away, or thrown out because they wern't in good shape.
silver flower.JPG
Toy cars. Some went to kids on the beach, or friends. Most of them are here tho.
misc stuff.JPG
No gold or silver here. This is my junk jewelry collection.
shades.JPG
Again, junk earrings. I give them their own category because of the numbers I find.
vroom vroom.JPG
Junk rings - no precious metals here. I had quite a few more, some were given away, and others I am not sure where they are.
junk jewelry.JPG
My favorite ring of the year that is not gold or silver. Nearly 20 grams and size 13!
junk earrings.JPG
One of the watches I found this year. Gave this to another surf pirate who needed a watch.
junk rings.JPG
pirate1.JPG
These two pictures show most of the silver rings I have found this year. A few short fo the actual, but pretty close. One was sold, some given away.
watch.JPG
Sold this ring to someone locally, one of the prettiest silver rings I found.
silver rings.JPG
One of my favorite silver finds. It reads, "With God's help I served in harms way" and "US Marines."

Attachments

• marine medallion.JPG
    marine medallion.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,367
  • silver flower.JPG
    silver flower.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,383
  • ladies silver.JPG
    ladies silver.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,374
OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
8-23-08.JPG
The nicest necklace I found this year. 52 grams of silver. Found the watch the same day. Made by the swiss army company. Still tickin after being 3 feet underwater :).
morgan cleaned.JPG
An amazing find for the surf. This is an 1884s Morgan Dollar. It is so worn I believe it spent a good 100 years in the ocean.

And now for the stuff you really want to see. GOLD!!
18k band.JPG
a nice 18k wedding band, 6.4 grams. The heaviest gold band I found this year.
classy.JPG
10k class ring wieghing 12.5 grams. Was unable to contact the owner, as no school was engraved.
8-23-08.JPG
Black onyx in what tested as 14k gold. Weighed 6.7 grams.
morgan cleaned.JPG
One of the nicer rings I found. 22k gold with a beautiful yellow sapphire. The stone is .90 carats approxamitly. By the markings inside, this appears to have been made in India. Weighs 3.7 grams.
18k band.JPG
An 18k gold pendant depicting Nefertiti. Appears to have been made in India.
classy.JPG
My last gold find of the year. A day or two before the new year I pulled this pendant out of the sea.
#16.JPG
A beautiful 10k Crucifix Pendant with 68 CZ on it. Weighs 7 grams.
22k saph.JPG
Several rings I found all in one. The top 3 rings are 10k gold. Not sure what stone is in the center of the top ring, but it has 2 diamond accents that tested good. The other 2 white gold 10k rings were found together in the dry sand. The 4th ring is 14k gold with 12 diamonds. Bottom ring is 14k gold with a nice sapphire and 2 diamonds.
Picture.jpg
A collection of gold that I sent off to be refined a couple weeks ago. Had to snap a photo of it since I would never see it again.

Attachments

• 12-30-08.JPG
    12-30-08.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,256
  • cross.JPG
    cross.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 1,350
  • gold with stones.JPG
    gold with stones.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,349
  • refined gold.JPG
    refined gold.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 1,351
OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
And last but not least, this is the nicest find I have made by far this year. This ring is 18k gold with 25 diamonds. Center stone is approxamitly 2/3 of a carat and is of good quality. All 25 diamonds are beautifully matched to have an extreme amount of fire and sparkle. I had this ring appraised and the value of it was $7,450. Don't think I will be able to top this ring for a long long time, if ever.

whopper1.JPG
whopper2.JPG
whopper3.JPG
whopper4.JPG
whopper5.JPG
whopper6.JPG

I hope next year to find even more, as I will have twice as much time to enjoy the hunt. I hope you enjoyed the post. May you find more treasure in the coming year than you can dream of!

Thank you for reading and Happy Hunting!
Anthony

Attachments

• whopper3.JPG
    whopper3.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,346
  • whopper1.JPG
    whopper1.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,343
  • whopper4.JPG
    whopper4.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,336
  • whopper5.JPG
    whopper5.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,335
  • whopper2.JPG
    whopper2.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,344
  • whopper6.JPG
    whopper6.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 1,343
S

seger98

So when are ya gonna open your own jewlery store ??? ???

Nice finds!

Chris

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds

HH
-GC

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And then some :o What a Year!!!!! :thumbsup: Beautiful jewelry.......The last one would have done me in for the year :thumbsup: Great Job!!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Anthony, does anybody beach detect in your area besides you?

That's quite a haul of jewelry and other beach items there!!

Congrats on a fabulous '08!

Good luck in '09 with your E-Trac!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:o MG!! Are ya married?? ::)

Beach hunting is the way to go, if you want to profit from detecting. Congrats on the great year! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Mona Lisa said:
:o MG!! Are ya married?? ::)

Beach hunting is the way to go, if you want to profit from detecting. Congrats on the great year! :thumbsup:

Is that a proposal? If so, I'm flattered :). Have you wanting to marry without the wining and dining and romancing. Shame I'm already hitched. But then again, I do have a great gal to be married to.
Anthony

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent finds, Anthony :thumbsup: Love the beautiful diamond ring W :o W. Wishing you all the best in finds for '09.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting!

:wink: RR

P

Pentico

Excellent post!

Pictures are fantastic!
Congrats on a great year!

Continued success in 09

DN

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man thats a lot of scoop time. Bet your all shriveled up like a prune from bein in the surf so much. :tongue3: Can't wait to see what ya get in 09. WTG
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Wow, Anthony!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What a fantastic year you've had!!! And this is your first year? And not even a full season??!!! :o

Congrats on all the great finds and having fun finding them! :wink:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on a Awesome Year. Hope you have a even greater 09. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread