2009 Buttons/Cufflinks

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe 2009 was my best year for finding cufflinks hands down, lucky to find a pair every couple years, so very happy with the buttons finds for 2009.

Early in the year found this animal decorated large button that is most likely late 1800s, but not sure, but it sure is different from the large ones I usually find. It is by far the largest one I ever found at 44mm(1.6 inches).​
36_5mmDesignButtonSite233.jpg

Not too long after that I found another very large design button, this one at 36.5mm in diameter.​
DesignTombacsNov.jpg

Here are 4 Large buttons with design, three of them are Tombacs and the rolled up one is brass, which appears someone rolled it up like that on purpose for some unknown reason.​
UnionGreensButtonSite235March13th09.jpg

This little cuff sized button came again from my oldest site I hunted this year and what a pleasant surprise for this tombac to have the attaching string/rope on the shank yet and in great shape to boot.​
Animalbutton41plusmm.jpg

Two floral design buttons, one early 1800s and one 1830s.​
36_5mmDesignButtonSite233.jpg

Two more design type Tombacs.​

Clipboard.jpg

The possible patriotic Eagle button with E PLURIBUS UNUM on it was a highlight find, and I put it next to a nice old flower design button.​
button2.jpg

Couple nice buttons found at site 245.​
button6.jpg

Mass group shot of most of the keepers.​
DesignTombacsNov.jpg

A nice example of a 1790s backmarked button, a quality mark in a cartouche.​
button4.jpg

Saved the best two photos for last. Here are the cufflinks, needless to say, starting off early in the year getting the TALLYO cufflinks was super and than getting my first pair of solid silver ones and another loner to boot just was icing on the cake, overall a great year for cufflinks.​
Site245Buttons.jpg

Finally my find of the year is this beautiful gold gilted UNION GREENS button. Nothing like finding a unique specimen and researching the history, which has proved difficult, but the Union Greens were a Irish Militia unit from 1808 era thru the War of 1812 from the city of Baltimore Maryland. Just a beautiful button regardless of the known lack of history behind it.​
2009OtherButtons.jpg

Thanks for looking

Don

Attachments

• PLATED.jpg
    PLATED.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 471
  • cufflinks2009.jpg
    cufflinks2009.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 510
  • UnionGreensButtonSite235March13th09.jpg
    UnionGreensButtonSite235March13th09.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 486

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it's always a enjoyment to see your post with such Excellent finds and than with them all together is like touring a small museum.

I hope 2010 is another Great Year of pinging for you and your Son,

Bill

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very interesting selection! The Union Greens I consider by far the best, and i guess most others would too, but the rest are pretty cool. My military count for the year sucked but I too did get some neat civilian types. For cufflinks the best were the two glass ship ones and the engraved silver B. I also found more of the very large Colonial buttons than ever before.

I am anxious to see what turns up under my coil in 2010 because 2009 was just so different for keepers compared to what usually makes my year. I did like the misc. relics, and the rare copper was great, but I want my old military back!

That sure is a lot of cufflinks! My better years I would dig 1,000 buttons and not half that many. The funny thing about detecting is you could go this entire year and only dig one, or two, or none!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow great collections of finds!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always have some nice finds Don, I love the patriotic eagle button. Best of luck in 2010.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Nice finds for 2009!! WTG!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread