REVISED 12-26-Best Find EVER, 5 Best CW in 2011 & Big Silver Coin This Year!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
REVISED 12-26-Best Find EVER, 5 Best CW in 2011 & Big Silver Coin This Year!!

This was another good year for the Tennessee Trio and me personally. Unfortunately two separate injuries prevented Dman from several months of hunting but he made some very good finds when he could hunt and Josh was a button digging machine in 2011.
I am not through digging in 2011 but here are my best finds to date:
1. I consider this note that I found while clipping pastures on my farm that was rolled up and tied to the remains of a helium balloon as my best find EVER. “Austin” apparently sent this letter to heaven to his recently deceased grandfather. Relationships between children and their grandparents are very special. No digging required!!!
2. Acorn carved from a .69 cal. 3 ring “Big Boy” bullet that I dug in a Gen. John Hunt Morgan Fall 1862 C.S.A. Cavalry camp in middle Tennessee in September. It was awarded "Banner" and thanks to all those who made it so.
3. CS Block “I” infantry button from Col. R.D. Allison’s C.S.A. Cavalry Squadron camp. Although Dman, Tenn. Josh, and I have dug several eagle and flat buttons there, this is the only CS button that we (or anyone we know who has also hunted that camp) knows of to have been recovered from that early 1863 camp.
4. Recovered from the same camp as the Bock “I” button, this Gomez and Mills patent “Baby Multi-Ring Sharps bullet in approximately .38 cal. was used in a Sharps Sporting rifle probably brought from home by a Confederate Cavalry Soldier. These are rare to find in Tennessee in that small caliber.
5. Heart Rosette -I was hunting with Dman the day before he broke his leg in late Oct. and found this rosette from a bridle in an area where I dug a CS Militia plate authenticated by Larry Hicklen about 12 years ago. The recovery site was the route used by Morgan's Raiders as they left the Battle of Hartsville, Tennessee on Dec. 7, 1862 with their 1,400+ Union prisoners and headed to cross the nearby Cumberland River. These rosettes were civilian made and are rarely dug in CS cavalry camps here in this area.
My Biggest Silver Coin Find
In the same area as #3 & #4, I dug this 1900 Barber half dollar which was my best coin recovery during 2011. This was a surprise as I was hunting for CW relics at the time.
REVISED and UPDATED with 5th BEST CW Artifact
6. Kentucky button-While hunting with Tenn. Josh on 12-23, I dug the top portion of a 3 pc. Kentucky Staff Officer's button in a Gen. John Hunt Morgan camp. We had 30 total CSA relics that day. The button looked like a folded up bottle cap when I dug it but had the reverse of the button face on the underside with bright gilding. I will send this one to have it professionally cleaned and restored as that one is the ONLY KY button known to have been recovered from that camp and only the second state button dug there. Gen. Morgan was from KY and had regiments of KY, TN, and Texas CSA Cavalry camped there.

Honorable Mention
I also dug the bottom portion of a 3" Hotchkiss base fired from a U.S. artillery position and a fairly rare .44 cal. Frank Wesson rimfire bullet from a CSA Cavalry camp.

I was honored to have one article published in American Digger Magazine, four articles published in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine, and two articles published in North South Trader’s Civil War Magazine in 2011. I assisted Bill Jones (Sekypaleo) with a W & E article and Rob Taylor (RTDE 3) with an article published in American Digger. I was also a guest on the American Digger-Our History Project “Relic Roundup” internet show in November. I was also honored to have my picture on the cover of the November issue of Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine for the second time in 13 months.
The A.V.C. button that I recovered in a Gen. John Hunt Morgan C.S.A. cavalry 1863 winter camp in Oct. 2010 was featured on the cover of American Digger Magazine, pictured in their “Just Dug” section, and also pictured in “Recent Field Recoveries” of North South Trader. A Confederate Block “I” button that I recovered in February from a CS cavalry camp was pictured in American Digger and a rare Gomez and Mills “Baby” Sharps multi-ring bullet that I dug in the same CS camp was pictured in North South Trader in 2011.
We are looking forward to getting Dman back in the saddle in 2012 and discovering new sites for the Trio and our friends to hunt. Thanks for taking your time to look and reply to our many posts in 2011 and may you have a Banner year in 2012. HH, Quindy.

Final CW Relic Count for 2011=371 + 13 Colonial Relics
(I do not count campfire lead pieces, horseshoes, pieces of nondescript iron that can't be asttributed directly to CW era use, on non CW period coins).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,322
  • 2 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,308
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,389
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Heart Rosette 10-25-11 with Doug (.jpg
    Heart Rosette 10-25-11 with Doug (.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,413
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,376
  • 2 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Quindy\'s Acorn Bullet.jpg
    Quindy\'s Acorn Bullet.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,366
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,321

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My 5 Best CW Relic Finds & Biggest Silver Coin Find in 2011 With Pics

Killer year you had! Best carved minnie that I have seen
. That letter to gramps is a tear jerker for sure.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Q, you had a fan-tab-u-lous year in the field as well on the keyboard. Congratulations are certainly in order. Now that you've raised the bar, 2012 had better watch out! :thumbsup: Way to go, Breezie

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quindy,
You found some great stuff this year you big dog. :hello2: I still can't get over that acorn bullet. BEAUTY!
You have also been a writing fool. We have really enjoyed your stories over the years. I may have to buy you a new quill pen for
Christmas, since you have worn your old one out. :tongue3: :laughing9:
I think you deserve banner this year for playing nurse Nancy and tending to Dman's injuries. ;D
May the Tenn Trio be full steam ahead in 2012. :thumbsup:
Congrats to you,
-Dug-

Attachments

• Qman.jpg
    Qman.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 857
  • Dmans big break.jpg
    Dmans big break.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 861

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

You had a great year and You are an inspiration to us all. Getting out there and hunting at your advanced age is truly a wonder. Thanks for taking care of me this year. I know the time is getting close for me to have to do the same for you. LOL
Dman

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

birdman said:
Killer year you had! Best carved minnie that I have seen
. That letter to gramps is a tear jerker for sure.
Thanks Birdman and hope 2012 is a great digging year for you. HH, Quindy.
Breezie said:
Q, you had a fan-tab-u-lous year in the field as well on the keyboard. Congratulations are certainly in order. Now that you've raised the bar, 2012 had better watch out! :thumbsup: Way to go, Breezie
Breezie, you really need to post the rare African Slave Trade bracelet that made Banner and the Sambo cap pistoil that should have made Banner plus your other rare finds this year on this forum. Thanks for helping everyone identify whatsits this year and HH, Quindy.
ModernMiner said:
Quindy,
You found some great stuff this year you big dog. :hello2: I still can't get over that acorn bullet. BEAUTY!
You have also been a writing fool. We have really enjoyed your stories over the years. I may have to buy you a new quill pen for
Christmas, since you have worn your old one out. :tongue3: :laughing9:
I think you deserve banner this year for playing nurse Nancy and tending to Dman's injuries. ;D
May the Tenn Trio be full steam ahead in 2012. :thumbsup:
Congrats to you,
-Dug-
Thanks MM and you need to post your finds along with the Indian Wars buckle that made Banner on this forum too. That's the first buckle of that type I have ever seen posted. I have a feeling another Banner is right around the bend in the creek for you in 2012 and another article in W & E. You caused Dman's LATEST injury by starting that betting pool on what would happen to him next-LOL. HH my friend, Q.
Dman said:
You had a great year and You are an inspiration to us all. Getting out there and hunting at your advanced age is truly a wonder. Thanks for taking care of me this year. I know the time is getting close for me to have to do the same for you. LOL
Dman
I doubt it since you are less than 4 years younger than me. You would have done the same for me and you found a lot of relics and coins plus that rare Dixie League baseball buckle during the time you were not injured in 2011. If we can keep you healthy in 2012, there may be another Banner or two that you will dig before you kick off-LOL. Q.
RTDE3 said:
Very Impressive Q! :notworthy:
This year is gonna be hard for you to beat, but real fun trying to!
Best of luck to you & the Trio in 2012! :thumbsup:
Thanks Rob and congrats on your beautiful CW period bottles picture on the cover of AD and your article published in that magaine. Good luck in 2012. HH Bud, Quindy.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dman said:
You had a great year and You are an inspiration to us all. Thanks for taking care of me this year.
Dman
Well ya do know what VOL stands for, huh? :wink: Hurry and get well Burt!
Quindy,
You've had a marvelous year of hunting, and I wish you the best relic finds any Tennessee Volunteer can make next year! :icon_pirat: Thanks for taking the time to write up all the valuable articles for others to learn from. AND a big thanks for all the help you offer others in getting published as well. Maybe one day I'll get to hunt with the famous trio. :icon_thumleft:
Just gotta love that letter to Grandfather.
Nanners :-*

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nana40 said:
Well ya do know what VOL stands for, huh? :wink: Nanners :-* [/font]

Nana,
I'm guessing "Very Old Legend". :laughing9:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Nana40 said:

Nana,
Wrong again Jack Wagon. It's "Victory Over Lunatics" like the dummy in this picture-LOL. Recognize the masked Amigo? Q.
Thanks Nanners and I'm expecting a post from you on this forum as you and Lisa have made some very good recoveries in Upper AND Lower Bama.

Attachments

• Doug%20burrito2.jpg
    Doug%20burrito2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,321

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

VOL1266-X said:
ModernMiner said:
Nana40 said:

Nana,
Wrong again Jack Wagon. It's "Victory Over Lunatics" like the dummy in this picture-LOL. Recognize the masked Amigo? Q.
Thanks Nanners and I'm expecting a post from you on this forum as you and Lisa have made some very good recoveries in Upper AND Lower Bama.
Who is that masked lunatic? LOL

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey buddy! YOU JUST TORE IT UP THIS YEAR WITH ALL THOSE FINE RELICS!!!! One of these days we will finally hunt together.

Mike , Maggie and Girls

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Woodland Detectors said:
Hey buddy! YOU JUST TORE IT UP THIS YEAR WITH ALL THOSE FINE RELICS!!!! One of these days we will finally hunt together.

Mike , Maggie and Girls
Thanks Mike and 2012 is the year to hunt together. After the Relic Rescue hunt this weekend, you will be able to fill up two pages with the great relics you will have found there and recovered during the year. MC & HNY to you and the gals my friend, Quindy.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RTDE3 said:
;D
Nana strikes again!
Dug she has gotten good with photo shop, if I was you I would stop sending us pictures of you at the bar! LOL! :laughing9:

In my defense, I do NOT remember that night. LOL.
You guys are crazy. You got me TWICE now in one week. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Hilarious!!!
-MM-
(Margarita Man)

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow

Quindy you had youself a good year. I always enjoy reading about your hunts. On here and in the magazines. I get western and eastern magazine here at the house and you were in a lot of them this year. I want to thank you again for making me part of your carved lead story in the north and south magazine. I dont get that one but Rob got me a copy with his. Your acorn bullet was quite a nice find. I hope I get to hunt with you and D man sometime. Maybe if Doug has another hunt I will see you down there. Dont let Doug get you with the old man jokes. Us old farts need to stick together. haha. Have a good Christmas and Happy new Years.

Floyd

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the acorn minnie is amazing, congrats on a great year

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a great year you had Quindy. Though it comes as no suprise to me. Still love that acorn button. Take care and best of luck in 2012. :icon_thumright:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good finds!!! hope 2012 is even better!!! MR TUFF

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds Quindy. Another good year for you. Those multi ring Sharps are hard to come by.

M

MiniMe

Re: REVISED 12-26-Best Find EVER, 5 Best CW in 2011 & Big Silver Coin This Year!!

Hey Quindy,
Awesome year and that carved is Beautiful but I have to agree....that letter to granddaddy tops it for me. Hears to another great year for the Trio :occasion14: and hope you have a great New Year! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread