My 2011 Detecting Highlights - "Thanks" for the banner!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2011 Detecting Highlights - "Thanks" for the banner!

Well Folks, I didn't get out to detect this year as much as I normally do, but I was able to recover some nice relics and enjoyed one special event in the spring.
I was able to recover one banner find this year, and I want to thank all of you that voted it up there. :thumbsup:
That piece was my Anson Mill’s belt plate from the American Indian War era (Circa 1881-1894). I had just started detecting this new spot when I dug it. I have not seen another one posted yet, so I'm pretty happy to have dug it.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,389652.html

I later made a display for it which I think turned out pretty nice. ;D

Also this year I dug my second and third Walker Half dollars. :hello2: One was a 1918, and the other a 1944. It's a great feeling to see large silver staring back at you. :o

Another recent recovery I just made in Nov. in which I was happy to dig was an "Electrician" badge from the Wake Forest Fire Dept. (WFFD). This badge will soon find a new home in the local museum with some other displays I have donated in previous years.

By far the biggest highlight of my year though was hosting the "The Relic Buddies 1st Annual Relic Roundup and Funfest" here in NC. :occasion14: :occasion18: A lot of my Buds on Tnet have always stayed in touch by e-mail, but we had never actually met. All that changed in March when we got together to detect for a few days, and enjoyed some great food (and adult beverages), joking, and getting to know each other. Those that attended (pictured) were:Rob, Dickie, Floyd, Nana, Charlie, Ty, Mike, Bubba, and Andy. Also invited, but unable to attend the event were the world famous Tenn duo, Quindy and Dman (Doug). We had a great time and are like family now. :love8:

In closing, I have up to this point always detected with my Mighty Tesoro Silver uMax, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It has been an outstanding machine. :hello2:
I just recently purchased a new Tesoro Vaquero after my Buds busted on me to "step into the 21st century, and retire the Silver uMax to the Smithsonian". :laughing9:
I'm sure once I learn to use the new Vaquero, it will be a stellar year in 2012. :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking & thanks for all of your support over the years,
MM

Attachments

• DSCN4205.JPG
    DSCN4205.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • DSCN4221.JPG
    DSCN4221.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • DSCN4143.JPG
    DSCN4143.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,064
  • MVC-164S.JPG
    MVC-164S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,057
  • MVC-080S.JPG
    MVC-080S.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • TRB1ARRUAFF.jpg
    TRB1ARRUAFF.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,080
  • TRB1ARRUAFF.jpg
    TRB1ARRUAFF.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • MVC-080S.JPG
    MVC-080S.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,062
  • MVC-164S.JPG
    MVC-164S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,063
  • DSCN4143.JPG
    DSCN4143.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,059
  • DSCN4221.JPG
    DSCN4221.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • DSCN4205.JPG
    DSCN4205.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 1,031

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: My 2011 Detecting Highlights - "Thanks" for the banner!

Fantastic Doug! :headbang: I must say that is one gnarly lookin group of people in that last photo :laughing9: Just kidding buddy, we sure had a time at the Relic Buddies event. The displays you have made and "given" away are nothing short of amazing. If there were a vote for a spokesperson of the detecting hobby you would have my vote.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Now, what's not to like there? You had another great year. You were whining about not finding much just before you dug that buckle. That's an impressive historical recovery. Maybe you should whine more often. You are absolutely the best at creating innovative displays. Hey, I bet 2012 is the year Dman and I get to hunt with you, Q.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Now, that is one sweet belt plate! Congrats on all of your 'Dug Digs.' :thumbsup: Hopefully this year I'll be able to come to the Roundup and Funfest; I'll see if I can rent a back-hoe! :laughing7: Breezie

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodland Detectors said:
Fantastic Doug! :headbang: I must say that is one gnarly lookin group of people in that last photo :laughing9: Just kidding buddy, we sure had a time at the Relic Buddies event. The displays you have made and "given" away are nothing short of amazing. If there were a vote for a spokesperson of the detecting hobby you would have my vote.

Thanks Mike. Very much appreciated. :thumbsup:
Too bad Quindy and Dman weren't in the photos to make us all look a h-ll of a lot better. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Dug-

VOL1266-X said:
Now, what's not to like there? You had another great year. You were whining about not finding much just before you dug that buckle. That's an impressive historical recovery. Maybe you should whine more often. You are absolutely the best at creating innovative displays. Hey, I bet 2012 is the year Dman and I get to hunt with you, Q.

Thanks Q. Maybe whining is the key? :icon_scratch: :tongue3:
Thanks for all of you help over the years on the CW relics and help with articles.
Hoping to detect with the Tenn Trio in 2012. :icon_thumleft: I'll carry Dman in a backpack if I have too. ;D
-Dug-
(The guy NOT behind the flour tortilla mask)

Breezie said:
Now, that is one sweet belt plate! Congrats on all of your 'Dug Digs.' :thumbsup: Hopefully this year I'll be able to come to the Roundup and Funfest; I'll see if I can rent a back-hoe! :laughing7: Breezie

Thanks Breezie. You are certainly welcome, just don't say "hoe" around Bubba, he may get excited. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Dug-

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

You had a great 2011 and I am looking forward to seeing what you dig up in 2012.
Dman

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow

Doug you did real well this year. You should be proud of those finds. I'm sure you will do just as good with your new detector next year.
I enjoyed hunting with you down there and here this year. Come back any time you like. I might even let you sit in my Nova again. haha. I hope you have a nice Christmas and New Years!

Floyd

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awww...every time I see that pic, makes me miss you all even more. That was a fun time, wasn't it! Now that I have my handy dandy GPS you sent me, maybe I can find my way back some day. :laughing7:
100_3062.JPG
Excellent hunting for a 'Southern by the grace of Bubba' good 'ole boy. Why, if it t'werent for Bubba trainin' you, we'd be dealing with a full fledged wild Yankee. Thank ya Bubba. :notworthy:
100_3062.JPG
All kidding aside, you're an all around great friend. Thanks for putting up with me and photoshop. ;D
Doug flag.jpg
Excellent hunting this year! Look forward to seeing what you dig up in 2012. :icon_pirat:

Nana :hello:

Attachments

• Doug cake.jpg
    Doug cake.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,490

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great year you had, congrats on the banner find, love your display u made!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That belt plate is spectacular. I love what you did with it. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dman said:
You had a great 2011 and I am looking forward to seeing what you dig up in 2012.
Dman

Heck with ME Dman, I'm looking forward to seeing what YOU dig in 2012. I'm not going to jinx you either.
May your 2012 season be your best ever. No I'm not talking about golf either. :laughing9:
-Dug #2 -

mainer said:
That belt plate is spectacular. I love what you did with it. :icon_thumleft:

Goes4ever said:
Great year you had, congrats on the banner find, love your display u made!

Thanks Guys. That US buckle display came out pretty nice. Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me hang it on the wall. :violent1: ;D
Have a happy holiday & good luck in the new year. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Nana40 said:
Awww...every time I see that pic, makes me miss you all even more. That was a fun time, wasn't it! Now that I have my handy dandy GPS you sent me, maybe I can find my way back some day. :laughing7:
Excellent hunting for a 'Southern by the grace of Bubba' good 'ole boy. Why, if it t'werent for Bubba trainin' you, we'd be dealing with a full fledged wild Yankee. Thank ya Bubba. :notworthy:
All kidding aside, you're an all around great friend. Thanks for putting up with me and photoshop. ;D
Excellent hunting this year! Look forward to seeing what you dig up in 2012. :icon_pirat:

Nana :hello:

Thanks Nana. It was great hanging out with you and Charlie too. That crock gag with Floyd will go down in history. :laughing9:
I hope we can all get together again in 2012. Great time! :hello2:
-Dug the converted Yankee-

RTDE3 said:
Another fine year from you M.M.!
The things you found with the Mighty Silver Max is impressive!
You need to make one of your world famous displays out of that detector. Just so future generations will be able to see the machine that brought us all those historical finds. Including the lock that saved the south! ;D http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,414048.0.html
The "Relic Buddies Roundup and Funfest" was a blast with lots of good memories that will live forever!
I can't wait for the next one! :wink: Hey does me & Floyd's favorite cashier still work at the Harris Tweeter? ;D I'm glad you had the chance to come up and hang out with me, Floyd, Dickie & Ty for a few days. It was fun having you! :thumbsup:
Anyway, congrats on your banner belt plate & all your other great finds this year! And all the magazines you were in this year with your finds & articles! As a matter of fact I see your picture with one of your displays is still on the W&E banner at the bottom of this page. Good work once again with those displays buddy. You really do a good job with those & it shines a good light on our hobby when you give something back like that! :icon_thumleft:

Best Of Luck for 2012 & I look forward to hunting with you again sometime soon!

P.S. I hope santa brings you a rubber ducky swim ring with arm floatees for Christmas because your going water detecting with us next year like it or not!! :icon_pirat:

LMAO!!!
Thanks Rob. You've been a great friend. :thumbsup: I had almost forgot about "The lock that saved the South". Hilarious post. :laughing9:
As far as your friend at Harris Teeter, guess what? She is no longer there. Gee, with her great attitude I wonder why? :dontknow:

It was great to hang out with you guys this year. Thanks for the invite up to MD, the great food, and the ride in your beautiful Chevelle. Oh yeah, and for kicking my rump at pool, darts, and pinball. You Sir, are the arcade Master! :notworthy: :tongue3:

We'll get together again in 2012, whether it's in water or land. :fish:
-Dug-

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sweet finds for the year!!!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mr Tuff said:
sweet finds for the year!!!!! MR TUFF

Thanks MT. :thumbsup:
I've really enjoyed your post this year too.
Congrats,
MM

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes you had a stellar year ! Now that I live in NC ,I follow your post closly and they give me hope that there are plenty of good finds here in NC. Hope to meet ya in the future. :coffee2:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

birdman said:
Yes you had a stellar year ! Now that I live in NC ,I follow your post closly and they give me hope that there are plenty of good finds here in NC. Hope to meet ya in the future. :coffee2:

Thanks Birdman,
NC is full of great detecting spots. We are very lucky here. :thumbsup:
Welcome back,
Doug

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I just can't believe how lucky you were to dig that U.S. buckle. I had never even seen one before except in the buckle book. HH, Q.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Very nice!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This thread was a joy to read. The great finds, the good companionship from all the crew... this was a special year for you. Congrats on a successful 2011.

and tell me...did you use that toilet paper from Morgan's camp yet? ;D

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
I just can't believe how lucky you were to dig that U.S. buckle. I had never even seen one before except in the buckle book. HH, Q.

Thanks Q. It is one of my favorite all time finds now. Very unusual piece of history.
Going back over there today to detect as a matter of fact. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

history hunter said:
Very nice!!!

Thank HH. :thumbsup:

-MM-

BuckleBoy said:
This thread was a joy to read. The great finds, the good companionship from all the crew... this was a special year for you. Congrats on a successful 2011.

and tell me...did you use that toilet paper from Morgan's camp yet? ;D

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks Will. :thumbsup:
I had a great year and a real blast with the group get together I held last spring. :occasion14:
I did try that toilet paper from Morgan's camp and must say it was not as soft as the Yankee paper. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Have a great year Dude!
-Dug-

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

I still think that frame would look good on my wall MM. :laughing9:
Congrats to you on making the banner with that find.
One of these days you are going to have to stop in my neck of the woods as your headed north, maybe we could get a hunt in.
Good luck to you in 2012.

HB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread