Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Because of the sheer volume of quality finds the past few years, I felt like I needed to make a year-end post to put 2011 firmly behind me.

Imagine for a moment that you left your area where you currently metal detect. You gave up all your contact numbers, all the familiar property owners, and all the research you had done. Also imagine saying goodbye to your best hunting buddies. That was what I experienced after moving away from Kentucky.

Now, after a year of research, meeting a great new hunting buddy, and getting motivated, the finds are flowing once again.

Although I will probably look back and think on 2011 as a lost year, spent in limbo and crunched between the hectic schedule and mountains of work, some decent relics were dug. It was important that I put this post together for me to see that fact, and feel a little better about the year.

While visiting Virginia, I dug into a campfire pit where close to a whole crate of ammunition was burned during the Civil War. The nails from the crate were still in the pit, some firmly imbedded in once-molten lead. Two of the lead pieces are as big as my palm.

1.jpg

Only one bullet escaped the fire, and is still recognizable:

2.jpg

Normally this photo would be considered GawGag, but since it represents my only silver coin for the year, I am posting it anyway whether you like it or not. :D

3.jpg

Flat buttons, a tombac dandy, and a heel plate:

4.jpg

An assortment of .54 cal CW round balls, a pair of minieballs, and the remains of a Bohrman timed fuse:

4a.jpg

And the best relics I actually dug in Kentucky during Hill Billy and my yearly reunion back in January: A nice, complete spur, 1700s shoe buckle, 1850s German-made pocket dirk with bone handle, and in the center a boot pistol with screw-on barrel marked "HERO mfg."

5.jpg

If you would like to see better relics than this, you are welcome to check out my team and my year-end posts from 2010:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,372787.0.html

From 2009:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,293877.0.html

Or from 2008:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,211202.0.html

Now it's Onward and Upward into a Spectacular 2012,

Buckles

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it may have been a gaw gag year for you Buck, but I sense some great finds ahead for you and Shane in the bayou. Your last photo of finds may have been the high light of your year but there's alway 2012. Those are some great finds, I really like the dirk and spur.
No coins last year?

HB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HILL BILLY said:
Well it may have been a gaw gag year for you Buck, but I sense some great finds ahead for you and Shane in the bayou. Your last photo of finds may have been the high light of your year but there's alway 2012. Those are some great finds, I really like the dirk and spur.
No coins last year?

HB

Thanks for your reply, HB. We would've had some coins if we'd taken a swing through the woods on that dirk/spur day. :-\ But no, only the nickel. That, believe it or not, was the only sorry coin I dug the whole year. But now it's time to move forward. One hunt here and two great hunts in KY with you and I am already doing better than 2011. :)

Best Wishes,

BB

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a good run to me!! nice relics!! think of it as the calm before the storm ;D best of hunts in 2012... MR TUFF

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still some great relics BB, hope your 2012 is awesome!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
Still some great relics BB, hope your 2012 is awesome!

Thanks a bunch for your reply G4E. I managed to make the Banner at the bottom of the forum. 8)

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most detectorists would be pleased with what was a disappointment to you in 2011 BB. Now that you have more free time and have learned the "lay of the land" and teamed up with Shane who knows the people and the area, I'm sure you 2012 post will be much larger. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Most detectorists would be pleased with what was a disappointment to you in 2011 BB. Now that you have more free time and have learned the "lay of the land" and teamed up with Shane who knows the people and the area, I'm sure you 2012 post will be much larger. HH, Quindy.

The display case from three weeks of January 2012 already looks better than this post. :)

Thank you for the reply, Quindy. I appreciate your optimism and good friendship.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it may have been a gaw gag year for you Buck, but I sense some great finds ahead for you and Shane
HB

Well HB, you certainly hit that nail on the head. Best spring in 20 years of this wonderful hobby. It will be quite a 2012 year-end-post. :)

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread