Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Here is the 2012 wrap up. This post was delayed for a while due to Quindy and Dman's visit here, then further delayed by the amount of time it took to fetch and photograph every display case, every good find from the year. Inevitably something has to be missing from the photos below, but I don't have the energy anymore to figure out what. So, without further ado, here is a tour of the CaneField Bandits' Incredible Haul from 2012.

I want to start off the post (ladies first) with Diggergirl. She didn't have a chance to hunt much in 2012 with us, perhaps only 3 times or so, but she still acquired a very nice display case. Highlights were her first Confederate button (Pelican!), McClelland Saddle piece, silver thimble, half a daguerrotype frame, and a beautiful shield nickel:

HPIM3876-001.JPG

January 2012 found me traveling. I was actually in Kentucky hunting with Hill Billy for a lil' Iron Brigade reunion when Shanegalang found the first Spanish Silver of the year down here in Louisiana. Little did we know that we would dig EIGHTEEN MORE before 2013! Here are my finds from Kentucky. I dug my first Capped Bust dime ever, which will always be a highlight for me. Also found a solid silver engraved spoon with a Louisville KY hallmark and a pre-CW Eagle Button. This was a special trip to relive great memories, have excellent company, good food, and great digging. Thanks again HB, you will always be digging family to me.

HPIM3864-001.JPG

HPIM3865-001.JPG

Now on to the non-metal, eyeball finds. As you know, the soil down here is deep plowed every three years for the cane. This means that you hardly need a detector at times, since things wash out to the top of the ground. It was quite a year for pottery, china doll arms, trade beads, clay pipe stems, marbles, and more. Shanegalang's son even found an emerald setting from a Georgian era ring on top of the ground! Here are some photos. First off, some of my more appealing pottery shards:

HPIM3872-001.JPG

Clay pipestems, 1700s /early 1800s

pipestems.jpg

Assorted interesting CW era clay pipes.

HPIM3869-001.JPG

The China Doll Morgue, along with some chandelier crystals and beads. :D

HPIM3874-001.JPG

Like Buttons? Only my half of the porcelain buttons that were found:

HPIM3891.JPG

CW era pottery inkwell, missing the lip.

HPIM3868.JPG

This is a photo of only my half of the marbles from the year. I think we are pushing 150 marbles eyeballed so far in the Louisiana fields.

Marbles.jpg

An interesting early 1800s hatchet with hand-forged nails still in the top, and a sugar cane knife (rare to find one whole in a plowed field):

HPIM3866-001.JPG

Some finds were strange and interesting, like this bronze figurine I dug:

figurine.jpg

I also got a nice lid from a Georgian era ale jug:

HPIM3867.JPG

Shanegalang as I said earlier was digging the first Spanish silver in January. Wish I was there to see it, because it was his first silver coin EVER. We could go through the list of "firsts" for Shane this year, but it'd be way long. He had an amazing year. Here is a display case filled with coins back to the 1700s, military buttons, a name plate off an 1850s steam pump, marbles, doll pieces, you name it.

IMG_0127-002.JPG

I am going to update this post later in the day with a few more photos of Shane's awesome display cases here...

Here's some aluminum finds I dug. All Louisiana related. :) LA Tax Tokens from the Depression, Catholic Religious Medallions, and a Mardi Gras Doubloon:

HPIM3875-001.JPG

Some of my finds: spur pieces, powder flask, brass horse bit (all pre-CW or CW era), hexagonal lead lids to large black powder cans, silver fork and silver walking stick topper, etc.

HPIM3880-001.JPG

Some more of my finds: three Confederate Pelican CW buttons, Franklin half, a spanish silver half real, three seated coins, silver thimbles, cloak clasp, Georgian era drawer pull, brass spur rowels, eagle buttons, barrel tap keys, a kepi buckle, glass beads (the small dark blue one may be a trade bead), 1932 Louisiana Chauffeur's Badge, and an embarrassing amount of wheat cents.

HPIM3884-001.JPG

HPIM3886-001.JPG

HPIM3887-001.JPG

A display case of my finds from our tavern site. Flat buttons, pipe bowl pieces, two "Russian Blue" trade beads, pocket watch winders, two jews harps (1 brass 1 iron), shoe buckle pieces, newer farmer-dropped nickels, etc:

HPIM3888-001.JPG

HPIM3889-001.JPG

HPIM3890-001.JPG

My Civil War bullets, Enfields, and Colonial Era Musketballs:

HPIM3870-001.JPG

Shanegalang's military buttons: Revenue Marine (1850s), GS Eagle and Eagle "A" cuff, 1820s Navy, two c.1808 1st Regt Artillery buttons, and some Great Seals:

IMG_0128-001.JPG

EIGHT Spanish silver dug by me (1740-1809). (My ninth Spanish is in another display case.) All half reales except for a really worn one real. Three pewter "U.S." militia buttons, eagles, a one-piece eagle, early (likely British) Navy cuff, Three 1812-Era Artillery Buttons, three seated coins, and farmer-dropped silvers (walker half and barber dime), and of course the Spanish Shako Cap Badge:

HPIM3878-001.JPG

TEN Spanish Silvers dug by Shanegalang, including a killer 2 Reales and a BIG 8:

IMG_0140-002.JPG

IMG_0135-002.JPG

All the silvers Shane dug this year, in addition to the Spanish are FOUR Seated Silvers, a Capped Bust Dime, a Capped Bust Half Dime, and a Philippines Occupation coin:

IMG_0141-002.JPG

And now it's time to highlight the finds of the year for each of us. Diggergirl's favorite two finds are her first Confederate Button (she has now dug a CS button before she dug a Yankee button!). At any rate, her pelican was the nicest of the four we dug this year:

HPIM3877-001.JPG

And of course her other choice for favorite relic went to the black powder, CW-era shotgun she found in the same field we dug all the Pelicans in. This one got the "sacred mantle" placement, it was such a good find. :)

HPIM3883-001.JPG

Shane's favorite finds were his Revenue Marine button and Flawless 2 Reales:

IMG_0132-002.JPG

IMG_0133-002.JPG

And my single greatest find of the year has got to be this Spanish Colonial Shako Cap Badge. According to several experts, this is the only Spanish Cap Badge ever found in the U.S. I am in a dialogue right now via e-mail with an expert in Spain who believes that the coat of arms is from Potosi, and there is an active dialogue going on right now between several knowledgeable collectors and authors in the field of spanish colonial relics. This cap badge most likely from a Spanish regiment that was formed and stationed here in the US, and as such this is giving the experts fits because they know it is of Spanish origin, but have not seen it before, since this piece is so far the only surviving example. One expert has suggested that the badge was from one of the regiments that was sent to the area for the transfer of Louisiana to the United States in 1803. There will be more information to come on this find. And I am sure I'll recover the other pieces of this relic in future hunts.

HPIM3743-001.JPG

I'm not sure we could ever top 2012, but it's now onward and upward to 2013, and I think this will be a very good year.

Best Wishes to ALL for a FANTASTIC 2013!!

The CaneField Bandits

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is an incredible post and we had a very memorable adventure hunting with you, Molly, and Shane in the Pelican state. I now full appreciate how hard you guys worked in heat, cold, and muddy conditions and the time required to recover this quantity and quality of great recoveries. It was an honor and privilege to finally meet and hunt with you. Continued luck in 2013 and don't dig it all-LOL. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an incredible post and we had a very memorable adventure hunting with you, Molly, and Shane in the Pelican state. I now full appreciate how hard you guys worked in heat, cold, and muddy conditions and the time required to recover this quantity and quality of great recoveries. It was an honor and privilege to finally meet and hunt with you. Continued luck in 2013 and don't dig it all-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Quindy,

I'll leave a couple relics in the ground for ya. Hopefully when you two make a trip down here again we'll be in the upswing or middle of searching some new sites, rather than finishing out some old ones.

Keep at it,

BB

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN!,all I can say is WOW!,neat,just wondering does the MD find marbles,or do you find them when your digging something up?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN!,all I can say is WOW!,neat,just wondering does the MD find marbles,or do you find them when your digging something up?

The marbles wash out from the plowed fields. We find them laying right on top. :)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys certainly put the time in and were rewarded for your efforts with an lot of keepers and some real killer finds! Keep us posted on the Spanish shako hat badge.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations to the CaneField Bandits for all their finds this year. And thank all of you for sharing your finds with the rest of the us. This is what makes this site such a great joy. I wish all of you the best in 2013 and hope that you will continue to share your finds with us

Last edited by a moderator:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent forever just looking at each picture on its own and enlarging it. The photography is flawless and the relics are fantastic. I am so glad that you are recovering the bits and pieces from the fields as they also tell a lot of the history. Some people could just study the pottery and china. I liked the silver, buttons and badge. Of course that shotgun is where it deserves to be. I can imagine the hours cleaning all the porcelain buttons. Looking forward to hearing about what the experts say on the Shako badge. All of you had a great year and you are right it will be hard to beat it but am sure you will as you are just getting started.
Thanks for taking the time to share. Great post! :notworthy:
HH
TnMtns

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb!! Y'all sure had some remarkable finds for '12, best of luck for '13. Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to join y'all for a quick hunt. Happy Hunting!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent forever just looking at each picture on its own and enlarging it. The photography is flawless and the relics are fantastic. I am so glad that you are recovering the bits and pieces from the fields as they also tell a lot of the history. Some people could just study the pottery and china. I liked the silver, buttons and badge. Of course that shotgun is where it deserves to be. I can imagine the hours cleaning all the porcelain buttons. Looking forward to hearing about what the experts say on the Shako badge. All of you had a great year and you are right it will be hard to beat it but am sure you will as you are just getting started.
Thanks for taking the time to share. Great post! :notworthy:
HH
TnMtns

thank you for your reply my friend. I was very pleased with everything dug. All the finds tell a story, which is why I like to organize by site, not by type of relic like I used to do. Even the porcelain buttons tell a story. I always pick up all of them that I can see, if for nothing else than the fact that I can go into that field six months from now and tell whether or not the furrows between the rows have been recut by a plow blade just by virtue of the fact that there will or won't be new porcelain buttons to eyeball on top. Besides, I think they're cool. :)

At any rate, hopes are running high for 2013, but 2012 is a personal triumph for me, and it will also be very tough to even come close.

Cheers,

Buck

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your fantastic year with us. Great finds and pictures...

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will,
I am drooling Dude!!!! Unflippingbelievable!!!!!!!! I remember when you and the Cane Crew first started hunting that spot and the great relics you started uncovering, and even the awesome eyeball finds sitting on top. You guys started scoring Spanish silver on a regular basis and never stopped. I had no clue how much the CC had recovered, but now we know! :-) I am totally amazed. That shard display is way cool. Would make a great photo.
Congrats to you and the Gumbo Gang. I hope 2013 brings you continued success.
-Doug-

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on all of your(s) hard earned success! Amazing mix. Really like the displays. Thanks for sharing and wish you all many more pleasant surprises.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will,
I am drooling Dude!!!! Unflippingbelievable!!!!!!!! I remember when you and the Cane Crew first started hunting that spot and the great relics you started uncovering, and even the awesome eyeball finds sitting on top. You guys started scoring Spanish silver on a regular basis and never stopped. I had no clue how much the CC had recovered, but now we know! :-) I am totally amazed. That shard display is way cool. Would make a great photo.
Congrats to you and the Gumbo Gang. I hope 2013 brings you continued success.
-Doug-

Thanks for your reply my friend. I am still floored by how much we dug. Never in my life have I dug so many spanish--or so few pre-wheat cents!

I had wished Shane sent me some more photos of his display cases, the photos above don't really do the quantity and quality of relics he found justice. There are more display cases that aren't pictured.

At any rate, I hope that 2013 is half as good and I'll be well pleased. We already have 3 Spanish on the year, which puts us ahead of 2012 at the same point in the year. Honestly though I don't see how we could top the quantity of 2012. I'm hoping for more CS relics, possibility of a belt plate, more of the Spanish cap badge, and a gold coin LOL. But we'll see. I love not knowing, and then recovering something I never could've imagined before.

Best Wishes,

Buck

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I must admit that I like how you put together all of the colored china shards into a mosaic. Great bunch of finds for the year!! I bet that you have Riker boxes piled high!

VPR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread