Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great year it was in many ways. It started with the first hunt of the year (Mar 14) with a banner find 1862 New Brunswick 10 cents with double punched 2. Good luck continued on, and broke some records, namely most coppers, and most silvers in a season by big margins. Recovered quite a few good old silver coins along the way including another banner on Oct. 25.

70 different days hunting, about 350+ hours total. About half of those spent with ZDD.

154 Colonial coppers, of those at least 23 were 1700โ€™s coins, and 11 were the very large 34mm coins. The total is more than the last two years combined, and included a few firsts. Previous best year was 69.

20 Canada LG cents

38 Silver coins, 8 are 1700โ€™s, 6 Spanish, 2 French.
7 are 1800โ€™s, British, USA, and Can., the rest 1901 to 1960โ€™s

189 old buttons, 11 tombac, 10 pewter, 1 drilled shank, 1 blow hole, 7 military.

From the top ten list, I got first French Silver, (1710, oldest dated silver so far) First Victorian quarter, and first artillery button (2 actually, different sizes).

Other firsts were a 1700โ€™s silver spoon (ship), and a small trade axe (tomahawk).

I donโ€™t expect to repeat these numbers next year or maybe never again, unless I get that cache, or hoard which is always number #1 on the wish list every year.

I am thankful to be able to hunt as much as I do, and thankful to have a good friend to do a lot of it with.

The pictures. (Were tken at larger size than I normally do so should open up for a decent look.)
The lot of it, grouped by site as found.
find13rev001.JPG

A pile of the coppers, canada lg cents on the right.

find13rev010.JPG

My few military buttons.

find13rev020.JPG

Best buckles...hope to find the other half.

find13rev025.JPG

Some of the "firsts" coppers, A 1814 RH 1P Scarce, 1815 Magdalen 1P scarce, first countermarked GEO 3, first decent GEO 1 hp.

find13rev030.JPG

Some Silver.

find13rev035.JPG

Spanish Silver, 1723, 25, 47, 55, 76 2 reales, 1783 half real.

find13rev040.JPG

Oldest Silver, 1710 french 30 deniers.

find13rev045.JPG

The "Ship" Spoon.

find13rev050.JPG

And the 2 Banners.

find13rev055.JPG

And one of Misc. One bent up, and one broken shoe buckle frame...a good one still on the list.

find13rev015.JPG

HAPPY NEW YEAR !
and Good Luck out there.
Rick

BTW the start new thread box is missing on the annual finds forum, or I would have put this in the right place.

Last edited:

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Rick! I just wish that we had the same kind of history out here on the West Coast (B.C.). Best of luck in 2014! Looking forward to seeing your finds.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Outstanding post Rick!

You had a really great year punctuated with great finds! I've had some years that just never seemed to stop producing and thought that they could never be topped, but then they were topped, no reason to believe you can't have another awesome season with the area you live in and the sites you're hitting you should have an equally great year with persistence and hard work.

You just got a bunch of the the easy ones this year, squeak out some of the hard ones and you'll do well lol

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick you had an incredible year! The sheer volume of great items is incredible. I really like a couple of the buckles you found. The amount of copper coinage is truly amazing as well. Congrats on an incredible year and I want to thank you for being a huge help to me as I was just getting started this year. Have a great New Year and I hope you you find that cache in 2014. All the best, Abe

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting for this post and its as awesome as I thought it would be. Even though I've seen you post most of this I'm still amazed. Some incredible finds and hopefully the luck will continue.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
A Most Excellent Year. sir!

bill-and-ted.jpg

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say Rick that this year was, to say the least amazing. You are a digging machine and this post has just proven that.
Great post Rick and I know you will have another smashing year again in 14. :thumbsup: I had a blast hunting with you and had some very memerable times too. I expect that we will do even better next year.
ZDD

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Great finds! This was my first year detecting and I have been inspired by all of your finds! Hope 2014 treats you just as well. I am looking forward to early spring, and finding some silver coinage. Once again thanks for sharing and helping out us Newbies.

leafsforever3

Jan 3, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing year Rick! all those countless hours of digging has yielded you some great bounty. Hell of a pile of Copper AND Silver, Lead... everything. 2 Banners.. wow what a year. Good job!

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding post Rick!

You had a really great year punctuated with great finds! I've had some years that just never seemed to stop producing and thought that they could never be topped, but then they were topped, no reason to believe you can't have another awesome season with the area you live in and the sites you're hitting you should have an equally great year with persistence and hard work.

You just got a bunch of the the easy ones this year, squeak out some of the hard ones and you'll do well lol

Glad you did "LOL" french silver is not easy.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick you had an incredible year! The sheer volume of great items is incredible. I really like a couple of the buckles you found. The amount of copper coinage is truly amazing as well. Congrats on an incredible year and I want to thank you for being a huge help to me as I was just getting started this year. Have a great New Year and I hope you you find that cache in 2014. All the best, Abe

Thanks a lot Abe, I'd help any decent person...which you are. You're on the right track, and you'll do fine. Good luck my very good friend.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say Rick that this year was, to say the least amazing. You are a digging machine and this post has just proven that.
Great post Rick and I know you will have another smashing year again in 14. :thumbsup: I had a blast hunting with you and had some very memerable times too. I expect that we will do even better next year.
ZDD

I like your optimism, and I do believe it too !

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That indeed was an incredible year Rick! Your volume of great finds is staggering, that is a ton of coppers, and so many quality silvers. Congrats, and I wish you an even better year in 2014 (if that's possible lol!)

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really excellent finds. you had a great year for sure :icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You call it smashing, I call it checking all the boxes to be successful and claiming your treasure. :headbang: First you have to live in an old area where there is great sites to be found, then you have to put in the effort through research or walking fields to find those sites, and lastly you have to spend the time digging lots of targets to make your way to the good stuff. Take just one of those keys to success away and the year goes from a great one to just pretty good, or maybe of all things, normal. :) I've had a few of those perfect storm type detecting years and for various reasons can't see it happening again.... so enjoy it while it lasts!

Having another coin year like that will be a lot to live up to, but I can see you doing better on old military at some point.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great year of detecting Rick, I hope 2014 brings you much more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread