Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Yes, it's the middle of January, but I finally assembled the photos of of our finds from 2013. I think Shanegalang actually dug more than what is pictured here, but he did get the good stuff assembled for a photo shoot.

It was quite an amazing year, and I don't know if we'll ever be able to top the Quality, OR the Quantity of the items we dug in 2013

We got a total of 27 spanish silver reales in 2013, and I don't see us EVER beating that number. That gives us a total of 46 spanish silvers in two years of digging in Louisiana. That is an average of almost two per month during that time, not counting all the seated coins, civil war relics, and other great finds we've been hauling in. Considering that some months our work got the best of us, I think we'd have to retire and dig full time to ever beat that total.

I crossed two items off my wish list in 2013: finding something French Colonial, and nabbing a Louisiana-dug civil war plate.

2013 also witnessed me finding another piece from my Spanish Cap Badge, which is the only one recovered in the U.S. to date, according Spanish Colonial historians. It is also the only example known of the type, bearing the coat of arms of Potosi in Bolivia.

But the best find of the year was the recovery of a counterstamped piece of spanish silver that is exceedingly rare (less than 100 known), the configurations of stampings on which are unique as of yet, and the examples of which are in high demand. I didn't update the post when it made banner, but the closest example in condition and configuration of counterstamps to mine sold at Stacks Auction this past summer for over $17,000.00.

Stacks Auction.jpg

So while I am sad to bid farewell to 2013, I am thrilled at a fantastic start we've already made for 2014, and who knows what the next dozen months will bring. No doubt some excellent and thrilling finds will once again be dug by the Cane Bandits.

Below: Tavern Site finds of mine. Trade beads, buttons, gun flints, civilian spurs, a cloak clasp and watch winders (last photo) and many other excellent items:

HPIM4447.JPG HPIM4448.JPG HPIM4449.JPG

Next...Dug by me, a pile of spanish silvers going back to the 1740s, civilian buttons, military buttons, seated silvers, a seated HALF DOLLAR (last photo), a Civil War US Plate, and more:

HPIM4450.JPG HPIM4451.JPG HPIM4452.JPG

HPIM4453.JPG HPIM4454.JPG Half Obv.JPG

Some odds and ends: silver spoons, civil war bullets, a nice bone button and boar's head sporting button and cool lock:

HPIM4456.JPG HPIM4457.JPG

A couple more Tavern finds: Georgian Era teapot spout and a whole hell of a lot of clay pipe stems.

HPIM4465.JPG teapot.jpg HPIM4466.JPG

Some of the best silver coin and military finds I made. The oldest silver coin in this display is a 1740 half real (pillars style). Also in the photo: Militia buttons from all branches of the service, a nice big 2 Reales, a beautiful cap and rays one real, a 1722 Colonies Francoises 6 Deniers (holed copper), which is my oldest coin dug to date, and about as early as I could hope to find here in Louisiana unless I luck upon a cob. Also: half a counterfeit seated dime, two Capped Bust silvers, an early navy cuff button, and my 15th regt French cuff button (top right).

HPIM4460.JPG HPIM4461.JPG HPIM4462.JPG copper.jpg

Diggergirl didn't get to go out very many times, but when she dug, she did well. Below are a couple early seated silvers in excellent shape, some V nickels, a small silver button or cufflink piece, an 1840s navy cuff button, and a Knights Templar Triennial Conclave from New Orleans in 1922.

HPIM4463.JPG HPIM4464.JPG

Here are Shanegalang's best finds: Killer brass bullet mold, interesting Watch Winders with French slogans, spur, beautiful undamaged and complete jews harp (these are HARD to find in plowed fields!), spanish silvers, large cents, plantation tokens, a gun flint, many Shield and V nickels, and a beautiful 1812 era Artillery Button!

2014-01-12 14.18.56.jpg 2014-01-12 14.26.43.jpg

Shanegalang's best find was without a doubt the engraved, Colonial Era friendship medallion!

aa.JPG aaa.JPG

And last but certainly not least, my counterstamped 2 Reales cut from an 1810 8 Reales right after the War of 1812 as an emergency two bit coin by the Planter's Bank of New Orleans!

HPIM4458.JPG HPIM4459.JPG

The final totals as they appeared in my signature line:

2013 CaneField Bandits Totals:
18th c. Engraved Silver Friendship Pendant
1722 Colonies Francoises French 9 Deniers Copper
"Le Bon Temps" Pocketwatch Winder
Civil War U.S. Belt Plate

TWENTY-SEVEN SPANISH SILVERS:

Quarter-cut 8Reales with Planter's Bank of New Orleans counterstamp!
1774 and 1798 Two Reales, 1793 and 1797 One Reales, 1831 Mexican Republic One Real
1740, 1773, 1774, 1775, 1781, 1790, 1797, 1799, 180?, two 1807's, 1808, 1811, 1818, and SEVEN dateless Half Reales

1840-O Seated Half Dollar with MS details
1847-O Seated Quarter with AU-50 details
1827 Capped Bust Dime
1832 Capped Bust Half Dime
1838 and two 1840-O Dimes
1840-O, 1848-O, 1853-O, 1858, 1859-O, and two dateless Half Dimes
1824 Matron Head LC and a dateless Matron Head LC
Napoleonic French 15th Regt. Cuff Button
Regiment of Artillerists button (1811-1813)
1812 era Artillery button
c. 1808 Regt. Artillery Cuff Button
c. 1802-1808 1st Regt Artillery Button
Two Pewter "U.S." Militia Buttons
Mystery Eagle-On-Anchor Navy Button
One piece Eagle General Militia button(GI56)
1700s Navy Cuff Button
pre-CW Navy Cuff Button
General Service Eagle Button
.31 cal. Brass Bullet Mold
1873, 186?, 1868, and three dateless Shield Nickels
1884, 1889, 1890, 1893, 1901, 1905, 1911, and 1912 V Nickels
1926 Standing Liberty Quarter, 1908-D and 1913 Barber Dimes
Trade Beads, Gun Flints, Musketballs, Minieballs, etc.

Best Wishes to ALL for a GREAT 2014,

The Cane Bandits

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd say you had a great year. It just goes to show that research and perseverance pay off. Not to knock the park and tot lot hunters but your year sums up what I love about this hobby and I wish you even greater success in 2014. Joey

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman & I are proud to say that we hunted with you, Shane, & Molly in the year when you raised the bar for hunters everywhere. An amzing year and I believe a Best Find for 2013 from W & E Magazine is still in your future as well BB. All I can say is "WOW". HH in 2014, Q.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS - Nothings impossible:thumbsup:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning finds! All that spanish silver is hard to beat, but i like all the relics a lot too! You guys did very well last year! Congrats and happy hunting in 2014! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman & I are proud to say that we hunted with you, Shane, & Molly in the year when you raised the bar for hunters everywhere. An amzing year and I believe a Best Find for 2013 from W & E Magazine is still in your future as well BB. All I can say is "WOW". HH in 2014, Q.

Quindy,

It was a real highlight to host you and Dman down here in very early 2013. That was a great trip, and having y'all down here was a real bright spot in 2013!

Tell Dman I'd like to buy a couple dozen of those nice dropped 69 cent bullets while the price is real low. :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS - Nothings impossible:thumbsup:

True. Perhaps we could top this, but it'd take some serious finds--several of them. I'm going to put on my PMA and see what happens!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd say you had a great year. It just goes to show that research and perseverance pay off. Not to knock the park and tot lot hunters but your year sums up what I love about this hobby and I wish you even greater success in 2014. Joey

Yeah, I can't dig clad and feel good about it anymore. Nothing personal to others, but there is no way I'd be satisfied recovering pocket change after seeing the interesting variety of items from the past that lie underground. We actually detected a tot lot today. Well...not exactly, but it was a 1940s-50s tot lot of sorts. It was an interesting change of gears for us, and it will be a good site in terms of quantity...but nothing like what we normally dig.

I'll post it up later on.

Cheers,

Buck

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck,
Being very new to this but someone who absolutely loves history and important historical discoveries, I have nothing but respect and admiration for what you guys accomplished. You guys obviously put in tons of time researching and figuring out the lay of the land. Only people who put in the time and effort are rewarded with those great items. I hope all of the time that I'm spending on research rewards me with some great finds in the future. Thanks for sharing and for being so helpful to a new guy. You're always respectful and thoughtful and your posts are very well done. All the best, Abe

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there's no doubt you are the best digger named Buckleboy for 2013! :occasion14: :happysmiley:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You should remove impossible from your vocabulary, and make 2014 possible !
Challenge yourself and make this year even better!

You guys really gave the rest of us quite a show over the past couple of years, no reason to let up in the future, best if luck to you all again!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck,
Being very new to this but someone who absolutely loves history and important historical discoveries, I have nothing but respect and admiration for what you guys accomplished. You guys obviously put in tons of time researching and figuring out the lay of the land. Only people who put in the time and effort are rewarded with those great items. I hope all of the time that I'm spending on research rewards me with some great finds in the future. Thanks for sharing and for being so helpful to a new guy. You're always respectful and thoughtful and your posts are very well done. All the best, Abe

Come on now, I think they are just lucky! :occasion18:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! CONGRATS on a Really Great Year!! You and Shane really knocked their lights out!! Wishing you guys the best in the coming year!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck,

Time and effort are always rewarded in this hobby eventually, and the only way one doesn't reap the benefits is to give up. Thanks for posting, Abe, and Best Wishes for a great 2014,

Buck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's totally it. Seems like it follows me everywhere I move to and no matter whoever I dig with. :D

I knew it! I used to have that kind of great luck but it stopped around the time I stopped researching and detecting as much. Go figure.

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
but but...I found a pop tab! =D Seriously wow!!!! Grats grats grats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread