2014 Finds - Whole lot of stuff - 30 Coppers, 68 Indians, Seated, Barbers & more

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wasn't sure where to post this as the the section for 2014 finds doesn't have a box to post new thread. I figure it will get moved.

Turned out to be a pretty good year. I hunted parks, schools, woods, farms and came up with a wide assortment. Many of my favorite finds came from private property with permission and our club hunts. Rarest of the group was an 1804 large cent which makes an 1877 Indian seem common. Came up with a few New Jerseys which I haven't found in a long time as well as CT's. Found my first 1 real and only my second 2 real. Found my first seated half dime as well as a scarce 1837 No Stars Obverse seated dime. Haven't found a shield nickel in years and came up with 3 this year. Also found what is only my second 2 cent piece. One of the biggest disappointments is the scan of my SLQ's. The 1920 in the middle looks so much better when you see it and still has lots of mint luster. The 21 large cents is near my record for one year helped by finding 6 in one day at a farm I got permission to detect. Also from this farm, pictured in with the silver jewelry is a hallmarked silver knee buckle c.1770-1790. They don't come up much in silver. The 9 colonials is my best year in that category and it was nice to have 3 NJ's and 2 CT's. I've been collecting state coppers for more than 25 years, but haven't found many in the ground. The 68 Indians is also a yearly record for me. I'm mainly a coin hunter and only found a few pieces of gold. I also found about 70 silver dimes and a dozen quarters that are not part of the highlight finds. Can't complain about the year and looking forward to a better one. You never know what the next sweep of the coil might bring. 8-) Happy Hunting!

By the way, if you click on the photo, then click on it again it opens in a new screen. If you click on it there it zooms in. These are pretty high resolution scans and it might be helpful on the coppers and some of the silver.

reals front.jpg reals back.jpg

seated front.jpg seated back.jpg

barber front.jpg barber back.jpg

SLQ and walker.jpg

View attachment misc silver.jpg

coppers correct.jpg

oops coppers.jpg

oops coppers reverse.jpg
I had forgot these pieces in my original scan of coppers. I also forgot some silver but didn't bother to add them.

indians.jpg

20141224_090925 silver.jpg

20141224_115023.jpg

20140608_191611 Paro.jpg
One last thing, I found this ID bracelet in June and tracked down the owner and returned it. She had lost it 57 years ago!

Last edited:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Great year Don..I really like the way you separated, and the pics..Nice lay out..
Hope this new year brings you some new firsts..Happy Holidays..
George

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang, you kicked some serious butt. Hope you do just as good if not better this new year!

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds. The greatest was finding the owner of the ID bracelet. :occasion14:

You should have seen the look on her face. At first they were wondering who this strange guy was at the door. When I handed it to her she could believe it. She was in the first kindergarten class at a local Catholic school in 1949. She thought she might have lost it in 7th grade, which would have been around 1957. I ended up spending about 45 minutes with them chit chatting. Very nice people and I was so glad I was able to track her down. Being able to reunite people with long lost personal items is one of the greatest rewards in this hobby. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does you end up walking on cloud 9. I had also returned an ID bracelet years ago and the owner had lost it 50 years earlier. It was a give from his mother who had passed away 20 years earlier. He had tears in his eyes when I returned it. What a great feeling. It all goes back to it's more blessed to give than to receive.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great year Don. You don't see many posting so much silver, big coppers and jewelry. Hope 2015 is just as good to you. Merry Christmas.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great year, Don. Could you post a closer pic of the knee buckle frame? I would love to see it.

Kirk

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very very NICE year dude...doesn't get nicer than returning something thought lost forever.

There is a blessing in that!

GOD Bless

Chris

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don the quantity and more importantly the quality of those coins is very impressive. An 1804 LC and a 77 ih is pretty damn impressive. Love the state coppers too. And some very nice old silver. This may motivate me to do a year end post :-).
But my favorite part of this post is the returned bracelet. Those opportunities rarely present themselves and they are a very special opportunity when they do. I get so much more satisfaction giving something special to somebody than I do finding something myself. Great year bud. Thanks for posting

MikeDiG

Nov 26, 2014
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one heck of a year! Congrats on all your finds and thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I failed to mention just how incredible that silver knee buckle is. That is a very scarce find indeed and what a beautiful display piece

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a fabulous year I think I found 4 silver coins this year.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW what a year! I wish I could detect in NY! Congrats on all of your great finds and on the nice return of the lost item!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great year! Congrats on all the silver (especially the knee buckle) and all those coppers!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great year, and bucnh of finds you did make.
3 Halves in a season is a lot, or I would think, having got 2 in 8 years.
Best of show is the silver buckle. I'd love to get one of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread