SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a group shot of my 2014 colonial silver

I usually work up my totals by season (fall thru winter), but thought I'd throw out a pic of just my 2014 silver. The first 15 coins were dug last winter and spring, and I picked things back up in a big way in early Oct with the recovery of the Lord Baltimore sixpence. Since then I've pulled 4 more cut pieces and a cob. If the sixpence was the only silver I dug all year it would still have to be considered a huge success. Hope Dan and I can pick up where we left off starting with our next outing. Good luck to all in 2015!!

Attachments

• 2014 silver2.jpg
    2014 silver2.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 445
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Bill D.,

Congratulations on your finds. You have amassed quite a nice collection.

Regards,

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack Γ— 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats what metal detecting dreams are made of

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent year's worth of saves! Every single bit! ;)

I've been wanting to ask, just what does a small bit of a coin like those, sound like? Is it still like, say, a silver dime hit?

Funny ain't it? What we will go through, the amount of hours/days/weeks/months! The fighting of the elements! Then, at the end of all that, as long as there are a handful of tiny lil bits of silver. It's somehow worth it. LOL ;)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice early silvers. You do a great job locating early sites

MikeDiG

Nov 26, 2014
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some incredible finds! Congrats! Hopefully 2015 is just as good for you. Thanks for sharing.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2014 was a year to remember for you Bill. 21 colonial silvers is great number. It would take me five years to find that many if I was lucky (I found 5 in 2014).

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice colonial finds. Those are what dreams are made of!

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the pcs. broken/ chopped as a way to pay a smaller amount?

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome season, Bill! Can't wait to see what 2015 brings for you!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a mouth watering display Bill. You found some great coppers, you should show those too,

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent year's worth of saves! Every single bit! ;)

I've been wanting to ask, just what does a small bit of a coin like those, sound like? Is it still like, say, a silver dime hit?

Funny ain't it? What we will go through, the amount of hours/days/weeks/months! The fighting of the elements! Then, at the end of all that, as long as there are a handful of tiny lil bits of silver. It's somehow worth it. LOL ;)

Well, a silver half will read very high on the scale, and a dime a little lower. A small cut piece will read even lower, and will be less than where a zinc penny will chime in. On my F75 most 90 deg cut 1/2 reales or 1 reales with read in the upper 50s. That same logic applies to all metals - the larger the target the higher the reading.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill you're an inspiration my friend. Your colonial totals are incredible and to have that one INCREDIBLE early silver coin find just makes it a Banner year for sure. Still amazes me that all my silvers are whole and 88% of yours are cut. Guess it's just a matter of our locations? I'm excited to share the hunts in 2015 my friend. Hope it's a monster for both of us

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how much cut pieces were used there, and in some places like here, not at all.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill you're an inspiration my friend. Your colonial totals are incredible and to have that one INCREDIBLE early silver coin find just makes it a Banner year for sure. Still amazes me that all my silvers are whole and 88% of yours are cut. Guess it's just a matter of our locations? I'm excited to share the hunts in 2015 my friend. Hope it's a monster for both of us

Didn't see your reply until my post was up, but that's exactly what it is... just different locations and what circulated.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't see your reply until my post was up, but that's exactly what it is... just different locations and what circulated.

Well I'm not complaining about it. But it'd be cool to have a few cut pieces in the collection. Have you found many IP?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm not complaining about it. But it'd be cool to have a few cut pieces in the collection. Have you found many IP?

Spanish silver yes, cut pieces nothing, but not a surprise as I would guess things were very different. In the early days silver was hard to keep here so it was probably just the opposite problem, a lack of bigger coins and not a problem with smaller change. It is funny how at least one or two didn't make its way here to get under our coil because we have certainly dug things that are much more obscure.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Spanish silver yes, cut pieces nothing, but not a surprise as I would guess things were very different. In the early days silver was hard to keep here so it was probably just the opposite problem, a lack of bigger coins and not a problem with smaller change. It is funny how at least one or two didn't make its way here to get under our coil because we have certainly dug things that are much more obscure.

You guys up north had so many coppers you didn't need to cut your silver to make change ... lol! I think that due to all the waterways we have in here in Tidewater Va, and the resultant commerce due to the tobacco-based economy, there was just a great amount of money changing hands which required the smaller denominations that cut coins provide. Out of the 175 colonial silvers I've dug, over 80 are cut pieces. And over the last 3 years they make up over 3/4s of my finds. And even my only tree coin is cut. I'm certainly not complaining, but it would be nice to dig a whole coin once in a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread