2015 Metal Detector Finds

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been friends with Toasted for years, and he started metal detecting this past summer. I thought it was pretty cool so I bought an F2 and started up here in Jersey. Over the summer, I took it pretty casual...just basically hitting up my local parks regardless of their age or propensity to deliver older stuff. Of course, I dug clad...lots of clad. I did dig this buckle which I thought nothing of...and subsequently lost. A few weeks ago I saw some folks post the same buckle and i remembered mine. Looked all over the house and my wife finally found it. So this was my first notable find:

IMG_4331.JPG

I'm a consultant in real life, and have made a career by doing historical research on properties. So I put my skills to good use and started pouring hours and hours of research into potential sites in North Jersey.

On October 8 my AT Pro came, and on that day I visited the first site that I had researched and determined might cough up some goodies. It was an old church that had been out of use for several years...dated from the 1860s. Again, this was my 1st time with the AT Pro..and I was swamped. So much trash at this site, and so much coming through the AT Pro's headphones. I didn't find jack squat. After an hour I put away the AT Pro and pulled the F2 back out the trunk. Literally a foot from my bumper, and about 1" deep, was this...my first silver:

IMG_2357.JPG

After that I was hooked bad, but my finds were sparse. A 1961 canadian silver dime and a .925 wedding band for the rest of October.

IMG_8804.jpeg IMG_2954.JPG

November was better...on 11/12 I found my first silver washington quarter at a dry river bed that I used to duck hunt. I hunted some private residential property of family members and during the rest of November I pulled my first Rosies, first Mercs, and first Barbers.

FullSizeRender.jpg

December was when it all started to come together. The experience, the research, and the swing time getting to know the AT Pro started to really pay off. I pulled a 1723 KG1 from a local park a foot deep. This was the first time I dug a really crappy signal, and it convinced me to start going deeper for the better stuff.

IMG_4429.PNG

The rest of December it was on like donkey kong. A fatty IHP (courtesy of one of Toasted's sites), a V Nickel, a war nickel, 7 silver dimes, another washington, and 3 silver jewelry pieces. I wrapped up the year with a 4 hunt silver streak. Best day was the following:

IMG_4058.JPG

Ended up the year with:

$120 in clad
109 wheats including a 1909 vdb
2 IHPs including an 1876 and a fattie
1 V Nickel & 1 War Nickel
2 Barber Dimes
6 Mercs
4 Rosies
1 Canadian Dime
2 Washington Quarters
1 Walker
1 KG1
4 Silver Jewelry Pieces
1 Colonial Shoe Buckle
1 Musket Ball

and more exercise than i've had in 20 years

thanks to all the forum members who've helped me. I've asked lots of questions and gotten lots of answers...much appreciated.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Murman, Murmama, murrdogg, murron, Ron Jeremy, Nice finds for a short season. Looking forward to your 2016 finds. Isn't this the best hobby ever??:occasion14:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really turned it on lately and i hope the good sites keep coming. So i can get in on some action. I wish i had counted all my clad instead of spending it in the vending machines at work though a lot of my hunting has been on sites with very little clad. Good luck in 2016. Looks like the weather is trying too shut us down for a while

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really turned it on lately and i hope the good sites keep coming. So i can get in on some action. I wish i had counted all my clad instead of spending it in the vending machines at work though a lot of my hunting has been on sites with very little clad. Good luck in 2016. Looks like the weather is trying too shut us down for a while

thanks...yeah you need to come up. your wife was talking to mine and trying to get together, so maybe it's in the works. I've kept all my clad except for the $1.75 I spent on a beer one time in the summer. The cashier was a little surprised when I dumped a handful of dirty and dusty clad on his counter but I left with the beer so I win. I can imagine the guy servicing (and subsequently having to clean) the vending machines at your work...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post, and FWIW you had a very good first year, a complete colonial buckle is still on many want lists (mine for one) GEO 1st coppers don't come up too often either. Silver half (any year) is pretty good find too.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris,

What a great start! I fear that Essex County can't contain the both of us! Lol.

Glad to see you're hitting it hard and thorough, and it shows. Digging a KG a foot deep from where you mentioned is an accomplishment. That coin is something many detectorists chase for a lifetime.

It's my hopes we meet up sometime in 2016. Cheers

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions