gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great time reading this forum and trying out metal detecting. I can say that I was hooked and can not wait to go out next year. I spent most of my time just trying to locate old cellar holes, farm fields and older rec fields. I used a gold bug pro which I am highly questioning if this is the best detector for what I am doing. It is just way to sensitive around trashy areas and electric fences I basically can not get within 50 feet of an electric fence which ironically is were my best spots are. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I am located in Vermont So I have a lot of unchecked cellar holes to go. I still never found any large cents or seated maybe next year. Good luck to all this coming year. Thanks for looking
The first three pics are from one field that I researched and know that it was heavily used in the 1800's for multiple events but I did not find one coin from the 1800's, but by far my best site totals are:
three quarters from the 1960's no silver
three Nichols 1943 Canadian, 1961, 1957
forty-five wheat pennies most dated pre 1930
one indian head 1906
silvers are: 1911 barber, 1919 Canadian dime, 1923 merc, 1941 merc, 1926 merc, 1924 merc, 1930 merc, 1957 rosy, and a 1918 walker
and the rings jewelry and buttons
The next pics are from multiple other sites
thirty wheat pennies
three indian heads including a 1884 in awesome shape
silver includes: two 42 mercs, 37 merc,41 merc,61 rosy, 46 rosy, and a 29 standing quarter
and other notables
IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironically you may need a less powerfull machine. My XP Deus can pick up aircraft transmissions & I too can not get close to electric fences. However, my Dad's Cortes can get a little closer, but the next models down like the Silver Sabre etc are better. In fact on the Thames foreshore where its heavily contaminated I use a 4" coil on my silver sabre, no use using a high power machine like the Deus. So, what I'm trying to say is that if you don't mind losing a bit of depth but want to be close to the fences, then you need different detectors in your collection. (Sometimes its the older machines, which you can get second hand)

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. Have you thought about asking to turn the fence off for a short period, because ALL detectors are affected in some way, some more than others.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an outstanding first year!

Good digging. :metaldetector:

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not tried to ask to turn off fences. I do not want to overstep my welcome but they may not care either. Used machine is a good idea thanks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not tried to ask to turn off fences. I do not want to overstep my welcome but they may not care either. Used machine is a good idea thanks
or ask if there are periods when livestock are off the land to let the grass recover.

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader I never saw a period when livestock was off the fields but good idea. I am learning this is an issue we all have.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader I never saw a period when livestock was off the fields but good idea. I am learning this is an issue we all have.

It maybe different over there, but over here, they Winter them in barns.

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we are full on winter here. snow and cold.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say you did great with your detector for the 2016 season. :occasion14: I can see you are looking for the old stuff, coins and relics and wish you the best in 2017. There is so much land in your area, there has got to be some without electric fences.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first year but doesn't look like you missed a beat...welcome to the hobby..

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody! Spending the down time of winter researching and trying to get permissions for next summer ( which I got a few that I think are going to be good). I can not wait till next year

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah electric fences, quite a pain. I can't get within 50 feet (good E-fence, or a good MD) But you can try to ignore the Beep -a-second, you can still detect metal, you just go to ignore the extra rythmic (timed) signals too. Painfull I admit.

Great first year. Any half dollar in Canada is a good find.

PS I apparently spelled a word wrong....lock me up !

Last edited:

strongarm18

Apr 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a lot better than my first year! I haven't found any silver and I 've been at it on and off for six plus years. I'll be visiting York Maine and then going to Isle Le Mott in Vermont.
Any suggestions?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread