ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good morning T-net. 2016 was a GREAT year for silver coins. An average year for gold and an average year for silver jewelry.

I am way up in the mountains of Utah for the winter and won't be back in Michigan till April. My gold silver and other precious finds like my guns are all safely tucked away in a safe deposit box in Michigan.

The only way to break down my finds is look back at all my photo's from this year on photobucket. That still doesn't tell me exactly what I have. I have 629 pictures of my finds for this year here

2016 by Robert Grattan | Photobucket

That includes 840.00 in cash for bringing lost items up for people that hired me to find them. Like a family heirloom ring lost two years ago in a boat slip that they never expected to see again. Date in the ring is 1915.

My gold count this summer for the rings I found in the wild and not for others stood at 50 rings, two bridges and an ear ring. The biggest gold ring was 22.5 grams of 18K. The cash value of this years gold was over 5 grand. The large gold ring got me a banner and I thank everyone that voted. Really surprised me.

Silver coins were a blast to find this summer. Over 300 and most out of the water. 23 half dollars was the most I have ever found in a year. Beat my record of two years ago by 3. One semi key date barber, 20 walkers and two Franklin. 307 silver coins

I also found a lot of wheat cents and buffalo and V nickels however again I didn't count them.

I did get some old Canadian silver and a 1926 German 2 Reichs Mark coin.

I forgot the photo's and the breakdowns of my quarters, dimes and nickels. I do know I got a record number of war nickles also this year. Cash value of silver found this year over a grand.

I didn't count my clad but it was meager to my silver count. The beach I was at mostly was used between 1909 and 1963. It stood empty until the riots of 1967 in Detroit and the beach house was used as a holding cell at that time. It was demolished in 1973.

IF I remember right I found 78 pieces of silver jewelry. HOWEVER, that is only from memory.

Some interesting finds that were not precious metals were 7 Detroit Police buttons, 6 large and one cuff, a few older toys like a Captain Midnight decoder badge and lead boat. Also my second Lewis machine gun magazine and another WW1 practice bomb.

It was a very fun year and I expect this spot to give up a lot more goodies when I find some key places in it. Two of the key places are the ends of water slides that went out into the water. I believe I hit about a quarter of the main spot I was diving in. Deepest water is about 8' deep.

I won't bore you with a lot of pictures since you can click on the link above and go through the ones you want to see. Here is a few pictures of my favorite finds for 2016.

My first one has 6 bullets in it and the second 26. You can compare the size of them to the can.

Cut out Morgan dollar:

Squad of lead soldiers in one lake:

Lead Cracker Jack boat:

Monster 18K gold ring:

For those of you that have never seen one of the WW1 bombs I find, here is a picture of a pair.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to pilfer your sites! Your living the life, my favorite hunting is in the water. As a kid I wanted to do like Jacque Cousteau and be under water. Now I want to be like you and start a recovery service. JK I enjoy reading your post and seeing your finds, it is fun also.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent year and thanks for sharing!

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice pile of coins, whats the oldest coin you got out the lakes?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing year. Some really unusual and significant finds. (FYI- The photo bucket link will let me view 2 or 3 images then diverts to a "Prize..." page.)

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

If I remember right the oldest was an 1894S Barber half.

Amazing year. Some really unusual and significant finds. (FYI- The photo bucket link will let me view 2 or 3 images then diverts to a "Prize..." page.)

STRANGE, I have no problems. Anyone else? I paid for the site so it shouldn't go anywhere else.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome year!! WOW!! That would take me 20 years to equal digging at the pace I'm on. Lol
I checked some of your pics but, I need a day off so I can really take my time and enjoy.
Congrats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on all the SILVER, GOLD, JEWELRY and RELICS! :notworthy:

You had had a wonderful year, may 2017 be as great! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks all. As stated, a great year only for silver. Hopefully a better year this year. No matter what will have a wonderful summer I am sure.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the awesome season Scuba, :occasion14: Hope you get a chance to do the warm water detecting while you are in Utah. I am curious to see what you find there.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Congrats on the awesome season Scuba, :occasion14: Hope you get a chance to do the warm water detecting while you are in Utah. I am curious to see what you find there.

Small snag. I got sick. Hope this passes soon. I actually can't wait to get back to Michigan to that spot I was at. I am sure some other great finds are to be discovered there.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I thought about this again. I have recovered a lot of old coins out of the great lakes. The oldest is a 1572 Real. However I think it was bought by a boater out of a boating magazine from a shipwreck cause it was in a bezel with a chain.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds scuba... keep up the good work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread