2017 Finds- Limited Time Yields Sad Year End Totals

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2017 was a great year financially but a terrible year of detecting for me. Just topped 600 hours of overtime at work. I WILL be taking some serious time for treasure in 2018. 8 is my lucky number and I'm thinking maybe 2018 will yield tree coin #2 and Rev War button #1.
My best finds for 2017 were as follows

IMG_1989.JPG
IMG_5869.JPG
-Stunning Maine Militia Button (1820-1840)
I was shocked at the condition of this button after cleaning. A bucket lister for any Maine hunter.

IMG_5877.JPG
IMG_5878.JPG
-Etched Brass Pistol Buttcap
Found at the same site as the Maine militia button. A great unique relic to add to the collection

IMG_5868.JPG
-Brass Toy Cannon
Once again the same site as the previous two finds. I had always wanted to find one of these

IMG_5591.JPG
-Linked Set of Brass Links

IMG_5587.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG
-1723 King George 1 Halfpenny
These George 1 coins are not easy to find. Nice to get one in decent condition

IMG_5965.JPG
IMG_5971.JPG
-1734 X Reis
Found this big monster Potugese copper at an early cabin site. Nice to dig an early copper that's not British or American

IMG_5969.JPG
-Complete Dog Nose Rattail Pewter Spoon
I have quite a few of these but it's always nice to add another complete example

IMG_5832.JPG
IMG_5823.JPG
IMG_5824.JPG
-1812 Military Buttons
Found these on a great weekend with OutdoorAdv and Scrappy. I've always wanted an Eagle on Cannon button. This was found after clearing trees and brush for more than an hour.

IMG_6148.JPG
IMG_6087.JPG
IMG_6091.JPG
IMG_6096.JPG

-17th Century Trash Pit. Llewelyn Evans Pipe Stems (1670-1680)
-17th Century Jetons
-Charles II Farthing (1672-1680)
I've said it a million times and I stand solidly beside this statement. 17th Century coins and relics in the states are a tough find and awesome pieces of our early history.

It's been a blast seeing all of your incredible coins and relics this season. I've seen lots of amazing recoveries made. I promise I will do my best next season to set the bar high.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great year imo , Hope lot's of OT means lots of extra detecting $.

A Merry Christmas & hoping for a 'Forrest' of Tree coins in 2018 '8'

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going through your post trying to find anything that might suggest a sad detecting year. Those finds are amazing! Congrats on the keepers and on your dedication despite the 600 hours overtime. May 2018 bring you a nice cache of 8 tree coins ! :icon_thumleft: And yes a Rev War button of course :laughing7:

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some really great finds there! I found my first 18th century coin this year so.. YES! 17th century coins are scarce as hens teeth (almost). Congrats on your finds and DO make more time to do what you love this year.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you had a spectacular 2017 detecting season and wish you an even better one in 2018!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, since you put it that way and I can see all of your incredible finds at once, my sympathy doesn’t extend too far. The sheer quality and age of your finds surpasses what most of us have found this year. So keep working bro - have your cake and eat it too! Lol.

Anyway, I had a superb time hunting with you pal, and seeing you dig some of those buttons. It was also inspiring to see a crazy/genius detecting mind at work. Sure, it wasn’t our first hunt together but it’s always fun to see. Brad and I always joke about bringing a few lawn chairs and just watching you detect. You’re an animal. Haha. Here’s to many more years of you kicking arse, and more time to detect in 2018.

Here here!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You seem to have a way to set the bar high for most even though you haven't had the time to hunt over this past year. Really hope that you're able to get the time to set the bar even higher, and to inspire others as you do with your recoveries in 2018. I'll be watching closely for the postings as the soils become soft once again.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You have you awesome sites that have given up some great quality relics and coins!
Your hard work all year will net you with some great detecting days in the future and with a little lucky 8 on your side you'll no doubt get all those things on your wish list!

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've definitely found quality relics that will be saved and cherished for life. It's always exciting to dig and hold a relic that you dreamed of finding. I truly enjoy seeing your finds, but even more so the thorough write up and history you provide. Thanks for sharing your best finds and I hope you find many more in 2018!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
600 hours of pay at an overtime rate or "maybe I should just go detecting?" Tough choice when money interferes with doing what you love to do. I'm sure your priorities are in order and you made the right decision. When you were able to pursue your passion,, you certainly made the best of it. Some of your 2017 finds are museum quality finds.
Congratulations and all the best in 201"8".

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahab,

Certainly not a shabby year by most standards, considering the limited amount of time you had available.

Hopefully 2018 will give you more free time to dedicate to the hobby.

A belated Merry Christmas to you and yours and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2018.

Regards + HH

Bill

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll take quality over quantity any day Abe, congrats on the Maine militia 1 piece, certainly a highly desired button in your neck of the woods. Hopefully you pop your rev war cherry in 2018:laughing7: I'd gladly trade my next one for a pine tree lol

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling of not being able to get out as much as you would like, that was me in 2016. All that aside you had one heck of a year as well and I look forward to your next year!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff Ahab! That button is sweeeeet, but my favorite is the giant 1734 Reis. Congrats!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done Abe.

Thanks for sharing and good luck in 2018.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darned priorities with work do tend to invade our time to hunt. However when you made time to get out you scored finds that most treasure hunters in the states can only dream of. Being geographically located on Americas richest history gave you some fantastic recoveries. Perhaps not the quantity you'd like but, certainly quality and historic finds of significance. Well done. As a "western" hunter in the heartland of America I envy all you east coast folks digging up that amazing history.:icon_salut:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that Maine Militia stunner would make anyone's year! Might not have been as much time as you'd have liked, but some killer finds. One of those toy cannons is on my list as well!

Cheers,

Buck

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds brother, my time was limited this past year also for a lot of different reasons. I guess great finds come from near death experiences? I'll never forget you falling off the cliff and your "bee trip" Gl & HH
Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread