2017....My Worst Best Year of Detecting.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So 4 years in to this incredible hobby, I feel like I know what I’m doing, yet I’ve still got so much to learn. Thank you Tnet, and all of its members who have helped me along the way.

This year started out slow, thanks to an ugly episode of neck and back issues, spent more time at Doctors offices and rehab facilities than I care to ever see again.... 6 months of pain that I don’t wish on anyone. Once I started to feel better in March, I was able to get swinging more often. After July 4th, I took a couple months off during the height of rainy season, then Hurricane Irma came along, set me back another month.

My annual clad total was below average, and I fell short of my goal of 50 silver coins FTY, I still found my favorite all-time best find ever!:headbang:

My Clad total for 2017 was $92.98, not too shabby....that includes the 10 spot I found in a guys yard, still have it too.

Wheats: 145, down from years past, but a solid number that I’m good with... only 1 Indian Head, glad to get it, they are very hard to find down here.

Silvers: 40.
But I nailed 3 biggies, along with 4 Barbers, a Canadian, and a SLQ, nothing to shake a stick at.
4681DDF3-7126-47FD-BF3A-695939130BEA.jpeg

Silver relics, yea, I’m keeping some, but I gave my wife 1.95 oz worth of scrap for her to recycle along with her silversmith recycling.
DDE67839-FC51-428E-B4A5-26707FBDCE27.jpeg

I did find a scrap of gold, and the usual number of hose nozzles, matchboxes, bullets, and other junk keepers that we all explain to our loved ones that we are not throwing them away due to personal reasons.:laughing7:

Oh yea, that Best-Ever find?
Didn’t see this one coming...but after Irma uprooted a tree downtown, I fished this little guy out of the root ball... A Third Seminole War Union artillery button, lost likely in 1858, Thanks again Cannonballguy for your knowledge and research.
B8BB0975-1837-4837-BC0E-4C70CD0AC83F.jpeg

Well that about sums it up... my profile will be updated to reflect my lifetime bests and totals, so check it out.

Finally, thanks for looking,:hello:...and all the best in the New Year. BWD.

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Very impressive year!
HH
dts

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
Great collections of finds. Those Walking Liberties are beautiful, congrats! I've never dug one of those. :occasion14:

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great collections of finds. Those Walking Liberties are beautiful, congrats! I've never dug one of those. :occasion14:

Thanks!... yea the 3 biggies were in a 3 week span, all 3 neighboring houses.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my year began great with my first gold and civil war items

this year I expect some gold from the beaches in plymouth, Mass

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my year began great with my first gold and civil war items

this year I expect some gold from the beaches in plymouth, Mass
Waiting to see your best of 2017 post.... Remind us of your great finds!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my best is your friendship Dave

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite the rough setbacks you described....you had a year that many would envy.
Thanks for sharing!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang man.......that button is bad A$$ !! Dave no one else in the country can even say they hunt a seminole war site, except us floriidians !! And out of all the people who metal detect in florida only a fraction have ever found somthing directly related to that conflict. Congrats on a great year !!merry christmas and good luck hunting this new year.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, you had a great year. After overcoming physical pain that sidelined you,you still managed to make some bucket list finds. 3 silver half dollars in the span of 12 months does not happen as often as you might think. Forty silvers for the year is very respectable.
Congratulations on 2017 and all the best in 2018.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rooster, BART, and my Deplorable friend, thanks guys, I appreciate your looking at my post, as much as I’ve enjoyed yours this year....
My New Years resolution is to learn how to use the multi-quote feature...Ha!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too !! Its a mystery to me.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a treasure chest for all those amazing finds.. Thanks for sharing em Happy Holidays good job!!!!! Tommy

marion moore

Feb 23, 2015
Greenville, South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great year, looks like you had a lot fun .back pain is no fun, I,m hope to have good yr.this year, finally got my back in half way decent shape so I can dig. Good luck in this new year. Thanks for posting. Marion in s.c.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My New Years resolution is to learn how to use the multi-quote feature...Ha!

Very respectable number of silvers and coinage for not getting in a whole season. Congrats

No look right to the reply tab-then to the reply with quote-then there's a another little symbol with a + beside that. Click it and a check mark will appear and you can do the same on every reply-there you go that's how you get the multi quote feature. :occasion14:

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great year, looks like you had a lot fun .back pain is no fun, I,m hope to have good yr.this year, finally got my back in half way decent shape so I can dig. Good luck in this new year. Thanks for posting. Marion in s.c.
Thanks Marion.... I appreciate it!
Happy New Year!
Very respectable number of silvers and coinage for not getting in a whole season. Congrats

No look right to the reply tab-then to the reply with quote-then there's a another little symbol with a + beside that. Click it and a check mark will appear and you can do the same on every reply-there you go that's how you get the multi quote feature. :occasion14:

Thanks for the technical know how... this is a test

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread