2017 & Change Finds.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. First off, sincere thanks for accepting me here and putting up with my occasional silliness. Next thing is due to my complete and total lack of organization some of the coins in the picture are probably NOT 2017 finds. I ain't here to impress ya'll or "pad" my year end totals. Heck, I don't even keep track of the stuff I dig! I did the best I could attempting to round up my better finds from the umpteen piles they were located in throughout my nest.

I did have in my mind my best year since beginning this long strange trip back in April of 2008. Targeting Bucket List US Coins being my #1 priority I managed to pluck five off the list. One was not really on the list but, added to it after I found it?!????:laughing7: That coin being my 1859 SWEET Fatty Indian Head Cent. Since they only made this design ONE year I consider this a Bucket List target. Next target to go down was my FAVORITE find of the season the elusive 1867 Shield Nickel. This one coin caused me more JOY and hooping & hollering in the field than anything I have ever recovered. I also called this sucker before I popped it out of the dirt. GOTHCHA!:whip2: The third target was a coin I truly doubted I would actually find BUT, I did. 1857 Flying Eagle Cent. Very pleased with that night time snag. Fourth & Fifth Bucket List items went down together with my 1784 Spanish Silver TACO One Real Coin. First Spanish silver coin and first 1700's coin. Lots of other really cool stuff dug & drug home to the Command Center. Honorable mention for the 14K Gold and loose diamond I scored the night of my Flying Eagle Cent find. Miracle recovery IMO.:notworthy: Perhaps the "coolest" find was the oil lamp wick adjustment part with the Indian Head Cent "replacement" wheel. American ingenuity at it's best. Also I found a HUGE square nail in fantastic condition. It has a weird "head" on it. I took a picture of it. Is this a "rose head" nail? Check the picture and let me know. I am sure I am missing something but, that's just ME!;D

I have to give credit to T-net and the AWESOME posters on here for shifting my strategies to get out into the fields. The ONLY Bucket List Coin NOT recovered from a field this year was the 1859 Fatty Indian. I snagged that one on a night time raid on a house demolition construction sight. So sincere heartfelt THANK YA'LL goes out to each one of you who takes the time to post their finds and encourage other members to keep after it. Ya'll's the BEST! On with some visual stimulation...Kurios1

2017 Highlights 001.JPG 2017 Highlights 002.JPG 2017 Highlights 003.JPG 2017 Highlights 004.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 008.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 013.JPG 1784 Carolus III SILVER Se Habla 015.JPG 2017 Highlights 005.JPG 2017 Highlights 006.JPG 2017 Highlights 009.JPG 2017 Highlights 010.JPG 2017 Highlights 011.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 006.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 007.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 009.JPG Field Hunt & School 009.JPG 2017 Gold Necklace Lowell Park 001.JPG 2017 Gold Necklace Lowell Park 003.JPG

I forgot my first real GOLD 14 K necklace for the group photo. Thought I'd throw it up since it is actually one of my better finds I reckon. I guess that would be like six first finds for this year that I can remember. I need a journal and some self discipline for storing finds.:tongue3:

Attachments

• Shield Nickel Sunday 014.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 014.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A very nice array of goodies for sure...you had a good year! Best of luck in 2018!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds my friend! The FE and Spanish Taco are top shelf for sure, but where is all of the recovered iron? I've only found one Shield Nickel as well and it was cool moment. Congrats!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds my friend! The FE and Spanish Taco are top shelf for sure, but where is all of the recovered iron? I've only found one Shield Nickel as well and it was cool moment. Congrats!

Here ya' go my friend. I did miss my Snake Plissken ring which is hanging from my rear view mirror behind my Pirate Eye Patch as well. I knew I'd miss some stuff.:laughing7:

Field Hunt & School 019.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 018.JPG Kenny Hunt Indian On Lamp 009.JPG Kenny Rt. 38 Sunday Hunt 012.JPG

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Pics of lots of super good finds, and a very happy MD'er. Can't beat that with a stick !

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What?!? No PULLTABS?!? 😱 Bah-hahaha-hahaha. Seriously...fantastic year, Kevin. U should b WAY proud. 😁

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i wish I can tick things off my bucket list as
rapidly as you did in 2017.
Awesome stuff
Congrats

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Impressive results for your efforts! I love that your overall display has a wonderful greenish hue. Cool.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics of lots of super good finds, and a very happy MD'er. Can't beat that with a stick !

Thanks for the support throughout the year mate. I DO pay attention to everyone who visits my "peculiar" page. Much appreciated.:icon_salut:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive results for your efforts! I love that your overall display has a wonderful greenish hue. Cool.

Funny you mention green. I got into this strange pursuit to recover silver coins. Somewhere along the road I began finding Indian Head Cents and beautiful bits and pieces of copper, brass, bronze items with that century old patina on them. I prize many of them above the more common silver coins. Something about their transition in the earth and coming out into the sunlight with that deep green is like a rebirth of some sort. I just LOVE green metal!:love10:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wish I can tick things off my bucket list as
rapidly as you did in 2017.
Awesome stuff
Congrats

Where you are located and with that DEUS in your hand I imagine the Bucket List targets will begin to take a dive. I made a radical change this year. Had I been hunting fields since 2008 I don't reckon ANY of these targets would have even been on my bucket list this year. Keep after it mate. You'll get yours, I'm certain.:hello:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What?!? No PULLTABS?!? �� Bah-hahaha-hahaha. Seriously...fantastic year, Kevin. U should b WAY proud. ��

Don't worry, I haven't throne out the classic pull tabs. Nor the several hundred pounds of rusty iron finds from working the fields. You and I will have to get together sometime this spring. You'll see what a real hoarding packrat looks like! Thanks for the encouragement this year. Much appreciated.:icon_salut:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A little here and there and by the end of the season rolls around it's an impressive collection that satisfies the digging passion. Congrats on you resolve, sticking with digging up the iron, and recovering a keeper here and there. What's there not to love about getting a few off the bucket list as well. Congrats on the season and I'm sure as you learn the new toy in the stable of machines the upcoming season's totals will even more impressive, I don't have to imagine very hard in seeing a keeper floating around on the header of the forum either, the way you go at the dirt. Best to you Kevin for the 2018 season.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snake Pliskenn...???...”I thought you were dead”. Seriously congrats on the awesome finds!! There is a gold coin with your name on it in 2018!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome year you had!
Always enjoy your posts, looking forward to your 2018 digs.
....after you thaw out of course.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You did really well K1. Congrats.

Spanish AND seated... yeah buddy, that's treasure. Thanks for all of your participation in the forum.

Wishing you the very best for 2018.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little here and there and by the end of the season rolls around it's an impressive collection that satisfies the digging passion. Congrats on you resolve, sticking with digging up the iron, and recovering a keeper here and there. What's there not to love about getting a few off the bucket list as well. Congrats on the season and I'm sure as you learn the new toy in the stable of machines the upcoming season's totals will even more impressive, I don't have to imagine very hard in seeing a keeper floating around on the header of the forum either, the way you go at the dirt. Best to you Kevin for the 2018 season.

Thanks PJ. I can thank you for much of my improved finds and borderline insane digging strategies. You have been a consistent source of encouragement for awhile now. I do listen to folks when they offer suggestions. I ain't getting any younger and I'd like to improve my recoveries each and every year from here on out. Listening and watching what other T-netters were doing has made a HUGE difference in the quality of my finds this season. Older, cooler, and even a bit more consistently than previous years. Except maybe the first two years when I was pretty obsessed and would hunt all hours of the day and night pounding a lot of nice construction sights which paid off very well. Anyhow, thanks my friend. I hope to continue on the path I am headed. Who knows what's around the next bend? Adios and stay warm. :icon_salut:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a fine, fine 17!

Everything laid out on that table is like taking a time machine back 100+years. Super cool. Made me laugh when you mentioned all your piles laying around the house. The wife always jabs me about that too! Hope your honey hole continues to give the goods once we're out of the sub zero air!

John.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread