Our 2018 ANNUAL FINDS--only 4 months late!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been a busy spring, but we have been doing some digging. Took a little break from Tnet after digging the Civil War ID disc this January. Have had a car accident, physical therapy and recovery, and work keeping me down but I wanted to share our 2018 finds with you (well, at least MY finds!). Didn't get any photos of Shangalang's finds so perhaps he will send them and I can add them later.

When the year started, I did a scouting run with Shang out in the middle of a giant field that just "looked right" to me. Lo and behold we started digging Yankee bullets. Ended up with a shoulder scale button, handful of bullets, 1810 half real, and some nice carved bullets as well as a lot of campfire lead:

1.JPG 2.JPG

We also finished one of our fields we'd started last fall, nabbing some seated silvers, eagle buttons, and other bits. (I LOVE the square "Good For One Dance" token!):

3.JPG

It was a really wet year here, and so one of our best fields came open but we couldn't even get to it without fear of getting the truck stuck to the axles in the mud. So it sat...and sat...and sat. (we are finally doing it this spring!). But we did get to hit it once or twice when there was some dry weather in 2018:

4.JPG

We also hit our Colonial Tavern site, out in the fringe areas, and managed to scare up a few Spanish silvers between the three of us. Here's mine:

5.JPG

The saving grace was that we had one of our better sites come open for us again. It was a large site so we were able to hunt it carefully for months. These were my finds from this great site: Louisiana Pelican Civil War Button, US Bit Boss, eagle buttons, seated coins, Capped Bust Half Dime, Silver wax seal fob, and a big, fat 1789 2 REALES! Also dug a nother piece of the 1700s silver fork imported from Paris that I'd dug a few years ago :) Shangalang dug an 1881 Canadian large cent from this field, believe it or not!

6.JPG 7Rotated.jpg 8.JPG

In the summer I had a big adventure. Went back to Virginia where I grew up to dig with my mentor in the hobby (hes over 80 years old and still digs like crazy. Been digging since 1969). These finds are very special to me. Left: from an old resort built c.1820 which I hunted with him. Right: on a Civil War battlefield (privately owened, with permission) where my ancestors fought. Even though those finds aren't Civil War, they are a treasure to me because they were dug on such hallowed ground while detecting with him (we started detecting together when I was 12 years old).

9.JPG 10.JPG

Then I went out west to dig in Utah and Colorado. Managed to meet some wonderful people out there and actually dug a bucket list find: a ghost town token. This ghost town was called Mercur, occupied c.1870-1913. Also dug this lovely Union Pacific Railroad Lock, enjoyed the beautiful scenery, and discovered a few rattlesnakes!

11.JPG

12.JPG 13.JPG 14.jpg

Then, I went to the beach! Spent four nights out pounding the sand and came back with several OUNCES of silver jewelry and TWO GOLD RINGS, including a heavy 14K monster band!

15.JPG

In the fall, we scouted and asked permission, which opened up another 4000 acres to add to our almost 70,000 acres of permissions. Then Shang got permission for another 5000 acres which we haven't even touched yet. On the first property we found a very special site, where Shang dug a couple of rare seated coins including an 1859-S Dime. This property kept us fascinated all of summer and fall, and we caught it in exactly the right time in the planting/harvest/plow cycle for it to produce! Over Thanksgiving my wife dug a c.1830s Pepperbox Pistol barrel there, and I dug a M1767 French Grenadiers Sword! (banner find). Later on in the fall we would dig many more seated coins, civil war bullets, and little did I know at the time that I'd be digging a gorgeous Pelican Civil War button and my Civil War ID Disc (banner find) in the same field in January 2019!

16.JPG 17.JPG

The M1767 French Sword and the 1830s pepperbox pistol barrel dug by my wife, along with non-dug photos of each:

18.JPG IMG_8687A.jpg IMG_8713.JPG

Diggergirl (my wife) didn't get to go often, but she did come away with some good finds. She also dug a Civil War 17th Army Corps Badge!

DG.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG Civil War United States Army 17th Corps Badge.jpg Civil War United States Army 17th Corps Badge1.jpg

Overall it was quite a year! A banner year for us in terms of quality! Although we didn't see the quantity of previous years we made some amazing finds and also managed to dig our 100th Seated silver in Louisiana. We hope to dig our 100th Spanish silver in late 2019 or early 2020.

Here is the grand total from 2018 as it appeared in our signature line:

2018 CaneField Bandits Totals:
1782 2 Reales
177?, 179?, 180?, 1805 and 1810 Half Reales
1834 and dateless Capped Bust Half Dimes
1840-O(?), 1841-O, two 1851-O's, two 1853-O's, 1854-O, 1856, 1858-O and 1860 Seated Half Dime
1844, 1859-S, and 1887 Seated Dimes
1850 Large Cent
1881 Canadian Large Cent
M1767 French Marine Grenadier Sword
c. 1837 Allen & Thurber Pepperbox Pistol
U.S. Civil War 17th Corps Badge
Pelican Civil War Button
U.S. Bit Boss
3 Eagle Buttons
Staff Officer Cuff and Cavalry Cuff Buttons
14K gold and 10K menโ€™s wedding rings and four silver rings
Monogrammed Silver Shirt Collar Button
1876-S and 1891 Seated Liberty Quarters
1919 and 1928-D Standing Liberty Quarters
1941 and 1953-D Washington Quarters
1943 and 1944 Silver War Nickels
Civil War bullets and a shoulder scale button
Utah ghost town token
Union Pacific railroad lock
1869 and 1871 Shield Nickels and dateless Shield Nickels
V Nackles, Beefalo knuckles and Gaw Gag
Was

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job , BuckleBoy , you & the wife got some sweet history , & glad to see your not the only procrastinator.

Look forward to 2019 finds.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job , BuckleBoy , you & the wife got some sweet history , & glad to see your not the only procrastinator.

Look forward to 2019 finds.

Thanks so much Davers for your kind words. Cheers,

Buck

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome year. Congrats and GL this year.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
May 2019 be even better.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A great year for sure! :icon_thumleft:

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great finds! Yโ€™all are killing it down there.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite the adventurous year of travel & detecting. Great finds. Great pics. Great post. I feel for you & your accident, therapy &
recovery. Happy you are still walking, talking & detecting. I'm sure you know things could be much worse after an accident. Quite the ordeal. Been there recently myself. (one year ago this month) Getting better every day & so will you. Thanks for your post & congrats to you & "Diggergirl" on your great adventure & recoveries. I especially like the pepperbox pistol barrel and the French Sword grip & pommel.
The stories that could be told by those who handled them way back when. Cheers !!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buckle Boy, Wow, you had a spectacular year...you have multiple great examples of buttons, buckles, relics, and coins. Good luck in finding your 100th Spanish silver this year...and you already found your hundredth seated coin - unreal. In case you havenโ€™t already identified the gold colored arrow, it looks like it is from a Boy Scout Order of the Arrow badge. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freekin amazin!

And I love how you pop out to Colorado and Utah, and dig a Union pacific padlock,
and a killer Utah token to boot!
Where a bouts in Colorado?
Hope you're feeling better from the accident.
Did I mention Freekin amazin?
Carl

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep ripping when your older your Hanna have some serious treasure

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some real nice saves. Congrats. hope this year is even better for you.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an overwhelming amount of cool stuff that you both found. Congrats on it. How long does it take to hunt 70,000 acres? Nice work!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really awesome year of saves, that is a fantastic collection, wish you & Diggergirl the best for 19n& beyond

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite the adventurous year of travel & detecting. Great finds. Great pics. Great post. I feel for you & your accident, therapy &
recovery. Happy you are still walking, talking & detecting. I'm sure you know things could be much worse after an accident. Quite the ordeal. Been there recently myself. (one year ago this month) Getting better every day & so will you. Thanks for your post & congrats to you & "Diggergirl" on your great adventure & recoveries. I especially like the pepperbox pistol barrel and the French Sword grip & pommel.
The stories that could be told by those who handled them way back when. Cheers !!

Thanks so much for your kind words and positive reply! Yes, going much better now, almost back to normal but still bad/painful days in my back/neck. Would love to go back in time and talk with the owner of that French sword (well, to be able to speak French would also be essential for that LOL), but I'd also love to know how it came to be lost or tossed.

:)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freekin amazin!

And I love how you pop out to Colorado and Utah, and dig a Union pacific padlock,
and a killer Utah token to boot!
Where a bouts in Colorado?
Hope you're feeling better from the accident.
Did I mention Freekin amazin?
Carl

I KNOW! I couldn't believe how LUCKY I was to get a token! That and the lock were DREAM FINDS for me! We were in and around Salt Lake City and Fort Collins/Loveland area in Colorado. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an overwhelming amount of cool stuff that you both found. Congrats on it. How long does it take to hunt 70,000 acres? Nice work!

We could hunt our current permissions for the rest of our lives. Of course, we are still after new permissions, tracking down sites, working on projects, exploring areas that we're curious about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread