GULF SHORES GREAT PLACE & GREAT PEOPLE

GOLDCATCHER

Greenie
Apr 27, 2008
GULF SHORES GREAT PLACE & GREAT PEOPLE

This is my first year in this area, I am staying at Lazy Lake RV Park on Old Plash Rd. Just off County Rd. 6 we have been here for a month now. metal detecting has been good. It will only get better as time goes on. As more people come into the area. Been working the beaches. Might get a little harder on the beaches now that the beach sweeper are cleaning the beach.but won't slow me down.Always looking for new places to hunt and new people to hunt with. We'll be here until May.

The thing I like the most about the area is how well we are treated by the local people,what a friendly,and helpful group of people,no wonder this is such a popular place to visit. every day is a new adventure. I stoped today and bought a wet suit from Chas Broughton,from Underwater Works,Inc. very helpful and knowledgeable. If you get a chance check out his dive shop. on HWY. 98 Just the other side of Fairhope. don't forget to checkout Lazy lake RV Park with reasonable rates. talk to the owners of the park Ed & Elisabeth, great people. stay awhile, within five miles of the beach. HAVE A GREAT YEAR. IF YOU WANT TO DETECT call 231-578-8638.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Re: GULF SHORES GREAT PLACE & GREAT PEOPLE

Welcome to the forum! I live over in Pensacola to the east of where you're staying. If you want an opportunity to find colonial or early american coins/relics, head west from Gulf Shores towards Fort Morgan. I don't think they are currently dragging the sand there but I could be wrong. Go as far west as you can go just short of the Fort Morgan park property. Detect from that point back towards the east. There are many known shipwrecks along the coast and I'm sure many more unknown wrecks whose contents are sure to have spilled onto the beach at some point.

Also, if you can gain access to the bay side of the penninsula, detecting all along the shoreline there will turn up all sorts of relics (and alot of trash though).

Good luck,

Pcolaboy

TreasureRats

Greenie
Jan 17, 2009
Bon Secour
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200

Hi, me and my wife live in Bon Secour, 5 min from Gulf Shores beach. We are new to the area and even newer metal detectors. She bought me a nice Bounty Hunter, mid level. I have used it a few times now and we love it. I found an old metal Mardi Gras dabloon in the yard! We went to fort morgan the other day and was fairly unsuccessful. We took pcola boys advice and went as far west as we could legally. Should I concentrate on the beach or further inland in the dunes? We did find lots of trash (of course) and a few coins, pennies and dimes. Where are other places to hunt? Good luck.

S

seger98

You're right Roger, There are alot of nice people down here. wish there were more places to detect. The day I saw you we went down by the bridge, found a few things down there but nothing great. Anytime ya wanna get together let me know!

OP
OP
G

GOLDCATCHER

Greenie
Apr 27, 2008

Well it looks like we need to set up a group hunt, there are a few of us that like detecting,so lets meet for breakfast or lunch,this invite is for

you and your wife ,Michael B,RJ Resner, MG Maddog,Treasure Rat and his wife, P Colaboy, myself Goldcatcher,and my brother-in-law Joe

let's contact everyone and set this up. maybe a gost town or cw site not owned by the state. my cell is 231-578-8638 I WILL BE IN

ORLANDO FEB.7 TO THE 14TH

kakcsdad

Feb 5, 2007
cantonment, florida (pensacola)
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT stock and 5.3 coil

if i am not mistaken the rv park you are at always has a waiting list. so before one goes expecting to get in make sure there are spaces available. i hear the they are up to 6 months out for reservations tho i may be wrong. call first!!!!

hh

OP
OP
G

GOLDCATCHER

Greenie
Apr 27, 2008

kakcsdad said:
if i am not mistaken the rv park you are at always has a waiting list. so before one goes expecting to get in make sure there are spaces available. i hear the they are up to 6 months out for reservations tho i may be wrong. call first!!!!

hh
The park I am at is on Old Plash Rd. and there is openings.coming south on HWG 59 turn right, on county rd 6 to the east util you see the third blue campground sign angle to left, go 1/4 mile, on left.

OP
OP
G

GOLDCATCHER

Greenie
Apr 27, 2008

seger98 said:
You're right Roger, There are alot of nice people down here. wish there were more places to detect. The day I saw you we went down by the bridge, found a few things down there but nothing great. Anytime ya wanna get together let me know!

WORKING ON A GROUP HUNT HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT

OP
OP
G

GOLDCATCHER

Greenie
Apr 27, 2008

TreasureRats said:
Hi, me and my wife live in Bon Secour, 5 min from Gulf Shores beach. We are new to the area and even newer metal detectors. She bought me a nice Bounty Hunter, mid level. I have used it a few times now and we love it. I found an old metal Mardi Gras dabloon in the yard! We went to fort morgan the other day and was fairly unsuccessful. We took pcola boys advice and went as far west as we could legally. Should I concentrate on the beach or further inland in the dunes? We did find lots of trash (of course) and a few coins, pennies and dimes. Where are other places to hunt? Good luck.

WORKING ON A GROUP HUNT HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT. 231-578-8638

OP
OP
G

GOLDCATCHER

Greenie
Apr 27, 2008

PcolaBoy said:
Welcome to the forum! I live over in Pensacola to the east of where you're staying. If you want an opportunity to find colonial or early american coins/relics, head west from Gulf Shores towards Fort Morgan. I don't think they are currently dragging the sand there but I could be wrong. Go as far west as you can go just short of the Fort Morgan park property. Detect from that point back towards the east. There are many known shipwrecks along the coast and I'm sure many more unknown wrecks whose contents are sure to have spilled onto the beach at some point.

Also, if you can gain access to the bay side of the penninsula, detecting all along the shoreline there will turn up all sorts of relics (and alot of trash though).

Good luck,

Pcolaboy WORKING ON A GROUP HUNT HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT 231-578-8638

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread