North Al - Clarkson Covered Bridge, Blount Springs

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. *tap tap tap* is this thing on? 8-)

I was wondering if any of you guys have hunted Blount Springs. I've never actually been to the springs themselves - are they privately owned, are you allowed to hunt there? If so, have any of you guys ever had any luck? I'm not asking for hot spot locations, I'm just happy hunting anywhere at this point.

When I was in high school, long ago in a galaxy far far away, we followed a logging road up the mountain on the north(west) side of 31 near there. (South of Garden City, more Bangor area) and found an old house site and a stone bench. Not sure I could even find it again or if the land is off-limits.

Clarkson Covered Bridge - I hunted there by myself on Good Friday, was very relaxing and the park is so clean and well kept, and I made sure to leave it that way :icon_thumleft:. (nice and shady, too!)

Didn't find much, a square nail and pull-tabs galore. I did find this though (see attachment), not a treasure but exciting to see shining in the dirt. (previously posted to "What's This" forum)

closeupsharpened.jpg

Last edited:

dgnbama

Mar 6, 2011
hayden alabama
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blount springs is one of my favorite places to hunt, but it has been pounded since the 60's and finds are hard to come by. I've hunted the actual springs many time's and you can walk around for thirty minutes and not get a good signal, not saying thier is not some goodies still there but they are getting really hard to find. I've probally put in 50 plus hours hunting the springs with a handful of good finds including a 1867 shield nickle, 1840 half dime and a mens wedding band (copper).

I noticed in one of your previous post that you were new to detecting and wanted to welcome you to the madness, if your looking for a good metal detecting club to join maybe you could come to one of our meetings Warrior Basin Treasure Hunters Association we meet on the first and third tuesday of the month at nikki's west in birmingham.

OP
OP
DeadElvis

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blount springs is one of my favorite places to hunt, but it has been pounded since the 60's and finds are hard to come by. I've hunted the actual springs many time's and you can walk around for thirty minutes and not get a good signal, not saying thier is not some goodies still there but they are getting really hard to find. I've probally put in 50 plus hours hunting the springs with a handful of good finds including a 1867 shield nickle, 1840 half dime and a mens wedding band (copper).

I assumed the area had been hunted. I'm still at the point where I dig a pull-tab reading though. I'd love to have a Cobalt Blue Blount Springs Bottle though - guess I'll have to buy one on Ebay :)

I noticed in one of your previous post that you were new to detecting and wanted to welcome you to the madness, if your looking for a good metal detecting club to join maybe you could come to one of our meetings Warrior Basin Treasure Hunters Association we meet on the first and third tuesday of the month at nikki's west in birmingham.

Thank you for the invite! I think I'll take you up on it. I'll Google Nikki's West and see what I can do. I'm amazed I can't seem to get my friends excited about this - maybe it's too much work. Funny thing is, I've enjoyed my time alone on hunts. I can only imagine it's fun with others involved.

Thank you for your response, I was beginning to think I'd be hunting county parks by myself :)

dgnbama

Mar 6, 2011
hayden alabama
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assumed the area had been hunted. I'm still at the point where I dig a pull-tab reading though. I'd love to have a Cobalt Blue Blount Springs Bottle though - guess I'll have to buy one on Ebay :)

That would make two of us on the blount springs bottle i've found a few broken ones but never a whole one.

Thank you for the invite! I think I'll take you up on it. I'll Google Nikki's West and see what I can do. I'm amazed I can't seem to get my friends excited about this - maybe it's too much work. Funny thing is, I've enjoyed my time alone on hunts. I can only imagine it's fun with others involved.

Thank you for your response, I was beginning to think I'd be hunting county parks by myself :)

When were in birmingham hunting i like a really big group:tongue3: if you know what i mean, but i also hunt alone alot if i feel like im not going to be mugged, if you do go to blount springs alone be careful because that place is full of open sistern's and well's.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Hello, DE. :hello:
(Geeze...my first time posting here with the new look. Everything has changed.) :sadsmiley:
I went by Clarkson a couple of weeks ago. It's a very neat place. Have never hunted there....didn't know if it was allowed. The springs should be in full swing with the ticks and snakes and poision oak by now, so be careful if you dare. hahaha! TimC is/was planning an outing for May at SLP. Let's see if he's still interested. :icon_thumleft:

Greg...I met a gentleman yesterday while hunting, I think Mr. Holly was his name. He says he goes to the WBTHA meetings. I told him I would go too if they would hold the meetings outside of the war zone. :tongue3: :laughing7: He said, "Well they have a guard." I said, "My point exactly. If they have to have a guard, then I don't need to be there." :icon_scratch:

Anyhow, welcome to Tnet, DE. Maybe we can all get together soon and dig up a few keepers. :icon_thumleft:
Nana

OP
OP
DeadElvis

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Hello, DE. :hello:

Howdy! :)

I went by Clarkson a couple of weeks ago. It's a very neat place. Have never hunted there....didn't know if it was allowed.

I hope it is! I think I read on here that it was, along with Sportsmans Lake and Smith Lake Park. I'd hate to be run off from somewhere.

The springs should be in full swing with the ticks and snakes and poision oak by now, so be careful if you dare. hahaha! TimC is/was planning an outing for May at SLP. Let's see if he's still interested. :icon_thumleft:

Ack. I loathe ticks. I also not real fond of oppressive heat so trying to hunt all I can before hot summer sets in.

Thanks for the welcome!

DE

dgnbama

Mar 6, 2011
hayden alabama
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg...I met a gentleman yesterday while hunting, I think Mr. Holly was his name. He says he goes to the WBTHA meetings. I told him I would go too if they would hold the meetings outside of the war zone. :tongue3: :laughing7: He said, "Well they have a guard." I said, "My point exactly. If they have to have a guard, then I don't need to be there." :icon_scratch:

Nana you should really come to one of the meeting's theirs usally about 20 or so members there and its not to bad, we usally hang out in the parking lot after the meeting and we've never had a problem.

Last edited:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang, yep I'm still interested in the family thing, the problem is coming up with at date that will suite everyone so I guess some posted dates and let the best one win. I love hunting Blounts spings, but have not been in a while, last time I went was about a month ago and got ate up by bugs.
Sportsman's Lake no longer allows hunting, but there are plenty of other places that do.

First off had you rather hold the picnic on Saturday for Sunday?

Tim

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana you should really come to one of the meeting's theirs usally about 20 or so members there and its not to bad, we usally hang out in the parking lot after the meeting and we've never had a problem.

Thanks, Greg! :) I seriously really would love to, but I just can't bring myself to go to that side of town after dark...heck....I don't even want to be there during the day! hahahaha!

Tim....Last time Sunday after church worked pretty well, but with the temps being higher, you may want to make it an evening thing...?

Hey DE...Did you find out what the token you found is? I can't read what it says, but it looks very interesting!

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An evening event will be great, lots cooler!

Williams BBQ is not open on Sunday's so it will have to be another place, any suggestions?

OP
OP
DeadElvis

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DE...Did you find out what the token you found is? I can't read what it says, but it looks very interesting!

I think it's a charm off of a bracelet, or part of one anyway.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/290654-puzzler-tiny-medallion-coin-looking-thing.html

The back is "hollow" - like one of those chocolate coins with one side peeled off and the chocolate removed, if that makes sense, only it's a bit thicker than foil.

Hunted much of the day yesterday in a spot, woods and fields, with permission that I bet has never or rarely been hunted. Didn't get a thing but sore legs and back! :happysmiley: It was strange, just a bunch of ghost signals and random chirps that would sound once and never come back. I could even hold the coil up in the air and get a random chirp in some places.

I don't think my machine was malfunctioning as I went somewhere else afterward and all was normal, dug a couple memorial pennies, slugs and pull-tabs.

dgnbama

Mar 6, 2011
hayden alabama
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted much of the day yesterday in a spot, woods and fields, with permission that I bet has never or rarely been hunted. Didn't get a thing but sore legs and back! :happysmiley: It was strange, just a bunch of ghost signals and random chirps that would sound once and never come back. I could even hold the coil up in the air and get a random chirp in some places.

I don't think my machine was malfunctioning as I went somewhere else afterward and all was normal, dug a couple memorial pennies, slugs and pull-tabs.

Getting false signals is pretty normal for most detector's, alot of things cause it but mostly it's just the way we swing our detector's sudden stops, bumping something or swinging to fast will cause it.

Sorry you didn't have any luck, but if your interested the next time we go to our spot in birmingham i'll shoot you a p.m. its been a really good spot, the last few month's of hunting there our group has dug 50+ silver coins and several other pieces of silver including rings and a spoon and untold amounts of trash but hey thats part of it.

OP
OP
DeadElvis

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting false signals is pretty normal for most detector's, alot of things cause it but mostly it's just the way we swing our detector's sudden stops, bumping something or swinging to fast will cause it.

I am POSITIVE my technique leaves a lot to be desired! I've noticed the bump thing, and I have a tendency to swing fast and erratic. I've noticed my White's Coinmaster (entry level) is usually dead-on when the target IS a penny or quarter. It might also be my imagination but it seems to twitter more on coin targets, as opposed to the single beep on a pass.

It only has 2 tones, standard and a low grumpy sounding burp for iron or a shallow aluminum can. The docs that came with it were minimal, so I'm still learning how to use it really.

Sorry you didn't have any luck, but if your interested the next time we go to our spot in birmingham i'll shoot you a p.m. its been a really good spot, the last few month's of hunting there our group has dug 50+ silver coins and several other pieces of silver including rings and a spoon and untold amounts of trash but hey thats part of it.

That would be awesome dgn... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread