ground mineralization

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know about the mineralization in central Bama (I'm in N. Bama), but a manual ground balance machine should allow you to cancel it out.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground mineralization can change in just a few feet or stay the same for yards. To get the most use out of a detector you need to have a ground balance control where you adjust for the same tone in all metal as you raise and lower your coil over the ground. Natch, there can't be any target under the coil.

The other option is to have a high end (read $$$) that can adjust the GB automatically. Manufactures used to advertise their detectors as automatic when in fact they were just preset. PI detectors aren't effected by mineralization but have almost no disc. Minelabs ignore iron and are almost as deep as PI's and for that reason are favored by many hunters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread