Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several books that you need, write to me, let's talk

Forgive me for being suspicious but your first comment is to ask somebody to message you? Iā€™ll pass, thanks though.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the process of collecting books for research, too, Billy. I'm getting all the local town histories...finding them in libraries, antique shops, and the two they-shall-remain-nameless internet sites. Getting maps to cross-reference from historicmapworks, historicaerials and my local county farm bureaus. The plat book I got from my FB had current owner info on a drawn map, current satellite map AND a map from 1917 in it for each township. Check at the local newspapers, too...they may have archive stuff you can get copies of. Local historical societies can be a wealth of information. Good luck! šŸ˜

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Ogre. Iā€™ve done most of those but the reason I asked specifically for books is because there seem to be so many descrepencyā€™s in history. I suppose a lot of that has to do with most of the records and town history being destroyed by the Union. I know of specific battles down here that is almost impossible to get any info on. Iā€™m on a civil war site now thatā€™s near my home and if all you did was research the internet, itā€™s like it never happened. So I hoping to find a few really good books that accurately describe early alabama/civil war.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm...Got a University or College within driving distance? Their library or History Dept might be of help. I know how frustrating it can get...I was looking for a specific book on a nearby city. The library had one...but I wanted my own copy...to dog-ear and mark-up. A local antique shop found one for me...in Colorado! Cost me $30 shipped...but WELL worth the effort and money. šŸ˜

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is a really university very close by, I hadnā€™t thought to check there. Great idea, thank you!!

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
There are several good ones out there. "The Old Federal Road" is a good one. "Ghost Town of Alabama" is a good one. Most of your best info will be concentrated on books specifically about a County. I live in Baldwin County and grew up in Mobile County so I concentrate on those and the surrounding Counties. Google "History of ________ County and usually some books, research papers, etc will show up. Alabama used to have an Alabama Archeology magazine. It doesn't publish anymore but you can order old copies. Below is an example of the kind of info you can find:

http://baldwincountyal.gov/docs/def..._1973-1982_part_1_of_10.pdf?sfvrsn=f5ef9f0c_4

Regards,

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't started doing much research and AL does seem tough in some areas. I'm trying to find real old maps and info for Winston county. Arley area. I haven't looked lately but would love to find the "old history".

My avatar is of Dismal Creek. I have found a little history of that area. I also found what I think to be a wagon trail. Have no proof of that. A lot of Indian activity in AL. Very cool places that are basically untouched or touched very little.

I invite anyone from the area to contact me to go explore with. I'm even ok with exploring my land. As long as I'm there. :laughing7: The area is watched now. :tongue3:

We camp there often and welcome anyone that wants to check some of the area out, detect, look for arrow heads, or explore the cliffs and caves. Just PM me. We are backed up to 80 acres of Bankhead National Forest that I haven't even begun to explore yet because I'm usually by myself back that far and have a fear of falling and no one hearing me. hahaha..It's some rough country!!!

And "Looneys Tavern" is right down the street. Which played an important role in the Civil War History. Depending on who you talk to. The Civil war History is mixed with "perception". Depending on where or who it's coming from. To try to get the "Real History" is difficult. I'm sure that's with any state. A lot was lost or misrepresented for political reasons. I often question "Facts".

I'll try to find info again and link it back to this post. Most of what I found was online. I also have family there that have been there from the "beginning". Sheriff of that time and I do know some of that area. Winston (Free State of Winston)and Walker Counties. A lot of stories were passed down and will be lost to the next generation. A lot of people don't care about history.

As far as books? I haven't really found much. I just had to pick pieces parts from online. You have all of the Treasure type books or legend books. But to get down to real old history you almost have to pick the brains of the "Road side" Museums too. Which aren't many left. I was fortunate enough to talk to the owner of Natural Bridge before they sold it all off. I also stopped at a Home civil war museum. The man was full of knowledge, Owned the land, and offered to let me come back and detect. This was about 10 years ago and couldn't find the place again if my life depended on it. It was in Winston or Walker county.

The Civil war history is .......Mixed. There are legends, the truth, perceptions, and somewhere all mixed. My step dad was a wealth of info on that but unfortunately he passed this past Dec. He was from the "Davis" family.

I also have stacks and stacks of 8mm reels of film that are very early!!! Black and white stuff even. Of Winston and Walker Counties. At some point I will convert to Youtube so that it doesn't get lost to decay.This was of times where they were cutting roads up to the point of them building Smith Lake. The old water falls and bridges that are now 100 feet or more down.

My step Grandfather was working on that part of the history. He even made a DVD, but it was low budget and only made it to local people. I have some copies and will try to get to youtube if you have any interest in that area.

Last edited:

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO
Hello sir, I haven't been on here in ages so I just found your post. I am very much interested in Civil War history and would like to know what you know. I lived in Wheat community for 2 years and ate several times at Chef Troy's rest. Visited the jail as well. Very much enjoy being in the woods and would like to explore your land with you. Thanx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread