Arbacoochee and Chulafinnee Ghost Towns

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Arbacoochee
CR-42 between SH 46 & SH 9, nine miles southeast of Heflin.
This was a gold-mining town that was established in the mid 1830s and was just 9 miles southeast of Heflin, AL. By 1845 the population had grown to around 5,000 people, with most of the residents living in either tents or shacks. There was a school, 2 churches, 2 hotels, 2 mining supply stores, 5 saloons, 20 general mercantile stores, a fire department, a race track and over 100 permenant homes.
When gold was discovered in California, most of the residents moved west with hopes of "stricking rich" in the "more promising fields". Only a few residents remained until the out break of the War Between the States.

Chulafinnee In the southwest corner of the county along Carr & Chulafinnee Creeks

This was a gold mining town about 12 miles south of Heflin, AL. During the boom years, it was about half the size of Arbacoochee, but had more brick buildings.
The mine filed was destroyed by one of the King brothers that were prospectors in the area. These brothers were part of the family that later founded the famous King Ranch in Texas.
The town was still listed on the state maps as late as 1878.

Attachments

• ala.gif
    ala.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 4,269

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
Hi Gypsy the site you mention here is only 15 miles away from me.

I went there about ten yrs ago to MD and looked the site over. The mine is still there and you can see it from the road with big signs saying Keep Out and Private property. All the foundations are there and over grown bad. One person owns all that land that the mine and ghost town are on and he ain't letting no one in. but that was 10yrs ago so things may have changed.
Just thought I would add what I know about it.

HH
Diamond Spike

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
yept! Diamond Spike is right! I also live just about the same distance away.I do have a friend who lives in Able and he finds gold all the time,he also uses a rusty hubcap to pan with and ran circle around me with my big plastic gravity trap pan.It would be a good place to detect or dig bottles,but no access! Bummer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread