gold cross (dauphin Island)

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
Hello from a new member, I stumbled onto this site while surfing and am very glad it is here
During the eighties I became aqquaited with dowsing (which is another story)and came across this little tibit. Supposdely on dauphin island there is a large gold cross that was taken from the church during the pirate days. (spain I believe)and was buried while the pirates were fleeing from the spainsh.
anyone else hear of this?
mike

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Welcome-3.jpg
It's great to have you with us, Mike! Keep posting!

P.S. Sorry... no info on the Dauphin Island treasure, other that what you can easily get from a Google search. (Don't worry... someone will probably be along soon to cut & paste a few for you! :D )

Attachments

• Welcome-3.jpg
    Welcome-3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 990

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some researching and this is all I could find about the "cross"...

Dauphin Island is located across the Mississippi Sound at the entrance of Mobile
Bay. It was used by the Spanish, French and the British as an army base and
Union troops were stationed here after the Civil War. It was also a haven for early-
day pirates and outlaws as well. The island holds many legends of hidden treasure and is a relic hunter's paradise.
A large jeweled cross was dropped in a well on Dauphin island to prevent its
being stolen by pirates and was never recovered.
Tales and legends of buried
jars, pots and chests filled with treasure and savings are circulated quietly
among the residents of Dauphin Island that date back centuries. The island has
never had a bank.
An unidentified Spanish galleon, carrying an estimated $1 million in gold and
silver treasure, was caught in a storm and wrecked on the E end of Dauphin
Island in 1801. Only 11 crew members survived and told of the rich cargo that was
lost. There was no salvage reported.

OP
OP
B

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
thank you both. This is indeed a warm welcome
I had never thought of using the internet for reference. will be going over all the archives for I have been away from treasure hunting too long, and see that I have a lot to catch up on ;D

mike

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
I grew up in Grand Bay and spent every weekend on Dauphin and Sand Island. The Mobile downtown library has some non internet info on French and Spanish wrecks and stories about Dauphin Island (also known as skeleton island).

MichaelB

OP
OP
B

bigm

Jan 6, 2008
michaelb, how did you do on the island?Now that I am easing back into it I was going to go walk on the sand
a little.
On another note back in the seventies I met a man who showed me a grave that had been robbed on cold creek of bellingrath rd. He stated that one of the largest plantations in mobile was located there and that the family members had all been buried along this creek . This area now has a subdivision on it and while on a job I noticed over a dozen head markers on a little knoll. It is located on the south end . Mostly grass is growing there as I believe it had been pasture for many years.My schedule dosent give me much room for metal detecting but there may be some possibilities. There are several acres that haven't been built on yet. On a side note I hope someone preserves the grave site for it is a piece of history for all of us

mike

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
bigm,

Back then you could find plenty of civil war stuff and even some arrowheads around the shell mound. I have heard stories about places around bellinggraph but I never knew where to go.

MichaelB

TreasureRats

Greenie
Jan 17, 2009
Bon Secour
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
dauphin island is also known a massacre island, the state change the name so as not to asso it with the horrible past. mass graves, and etc... Good research though.

TreasureRats

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
:thumbsup: The cross might be around the fort area in the pic :icon_study:

Attachments

• bienville.gif
    bienville.gif
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • bienville.gif
    bienville.gif
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,056

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
TreasureRats said:
dauphin island is also known a massacre island, the state change the name so as not to asso it with the horrible past. mass graves, and etc... Good research though.

TreasureRats

It was initially called Massacre Island because when the first french arrived to survey the island they found may human bones lying in a central area and they assumed it was due to some sort of massacre. It was later determined that this had been what was left of an Indian burial mound that had been recently eroded away from a hurricane. For what it's worth, I got this information directly from Shell Mound Park on Dauphin Island.

Pcola

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
La Mothe Cadillac appointed governor of Louisiana. Ile Massacre (Ile Dauphine) ravaged by a Jamaican privateer. Death of La Salle. The Mobile settlement destroyed by flood. La Mothe Cadillac's correspondence with the Minister and with Crozat. The Renommes's cargo damaged. ::)

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
i was told that dauphine island was off limits to metal detecting. some one was caught in the bird sanctuary which was off limits, did'nt fill holes and the results were NO detecting anywhere on the island. i have a habit of finding out things for myself so one trip there we were behind a cop and i told my wife that in case that cop stops at the store lets stop and i will find out for sure.
he did stop, we pulled alongside and when he got out of his car i got out too and asked the question about md'ing on the island.
his answer was, as he saw his boss coming in, lets ask him. he said no metal detecting. i asked about the public beach and he shook his head ans repeated again no metal detecting on the island. that was about march 2010. don't take my word for it, if you go there, ask first. we are losing places to detect by sorry people who don't care and too lazy to fill holes. i like to fill my holes and also if i am in the woods, i will i will camouflage it with natural debris. be kind to all, especially to those who say no. people DO change their minds some times, and that is why i say ask first.
tenclaw :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread