ANYONE NEAR PHENIX CITY

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe
Dennie, I live about 20miles south of Enterprise. You live in what was known as "SinCity" back in the early ninteen hundreds. Ft Benning is across the river, so you have a ton of places to search. do a search on Phenix city for the history and don't forget about Ft. Benning. You should probally check in with the Provost Marshall's office first to get permission. Then head straight for the old wooden barracks. You could start your research at the base museum. They have alot of old photos of the Ft. there. Good Luck! Tim

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Rd2nowr, I used deliver Pepsi products in Samson and Geneva back in the day. That was about 30 years ago and pre-Air Force. I'm retired now and just down the road from you in Crestview, FL. I'm not really retired but I am drawing a pension while I work on my second career.

OP
OP
D

DENNIE

Feb 10, 2008
Thanks all. Went to Ft. Mitchell today and got permission to detect near the old fort but did not find anything but a few sq nails. I will return after I study the area more. They asked if I could help find burial plots of soldiers of around 1811. No one else has been able to find them. It is hard detecting in the woods.

jimsjinx

Greenie
May 7, 2009
I live in Smiths Station, Alabama, about 8 miles north of Phenix City. I'm also new to the hobby, but been here about 7 years. jimsjinx

James151

Greenie
Jul 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Went to Ft. Mitchell today and got permission to detect near the old fort but did not find anything but a few sq nails. I will return after I study the area more. They asked if I could help find burial plots of soldiers of around 1811. No one else has been able to find them. It is hard detecting in the woods

I grew up in smiths station, and frequent phenix city on occaision, summerville road is where the union troops tried to flank the confederacy in the battle of columbus or (Girard), there is a large hill just up summerville road going toward idle hour park i guess north....on the hill there are still entrenchments very visible, you may try asking the homowners in that area if you can detect there...now when you get to the i believe its the 14th street bridge ithink its a pedestrian bridge now go toward the wooded areasjust south of there between the phenix city amphitheatre might be a good spot to check too there were entrenchments all through there way back when... further check the dillingham street bridge area too that was also used to "invade" columbus....also back when phenix city was called sin city this is where the pool halls and bars were that the soldiers and hoodlums frequented...I dont know how developed it is now but those are spots I think could pay off......especially around the amphitheatre there was a wodden bridge next to dillngham around the civil war or right after....let me know how it goes

I reallllly want to hit fort mitchell area I have a map of some old indian trails around the area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread