Newbie Treasure Hunter in Alaska

na155608

May 25, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Detector(s) used
None (yet)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! My name is Nick, I'm 26 years old and I have recently decided to start treasure hunting; however, I live in Anchorage, AK so it seems that my options are a little limited in this state. I have researched a bit about the history of Alaska and it seems leftovers from the gold rush from the late 1800s to the early 1900s appears to be the main attraction for treasure hunters. Although I would love to find some leftover cache of gold (who wouldn't!), I was hoping to make the experience of treasure hunting more of an adventure rather than just sifting through a pan for a few nuggets.

For example, searching through abandoned buildings and towns is very exciting to me. Naturally, I decided to research places like this in Alaska, like the "ghost town of Iditarod"; unfortunately, many of these places I have found do not have access via main roads or highways.

I suppose my main question is if anyone knows of any spots that are interesting and accessible without having to fly. Also, as a beginner treasure hunter, what types of equipment would anyone recommend?

Thank you!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Drop by Wild West Alaska gun store and talk to Phred(her real name is Carolyn). She can help you find places to hunt and she may even go with you.And welcome to TNet. Happy hunting...

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

na155608

May 25, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Detector(s) used
None (yet)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop by Wild West Alaska gun store and talk to Phred(her real name is Caroline). She can help you find places to hunt and she may even go with you.And welcome to TNet. Happy hunting...

Thank you, I appreciate it!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET! I suggest that you check out the old mines and ghost towns that are in your area. Go to your local library's and get as much information on the area you wish to search, don't swamp yourself with too many other areas. Just concentrate on one area at a time, and then do your search. If the area that you are searching has any peculiar landmark be sure to search in that area. Don't forget to check the tailings near any possible mine. Be sure also that no one has a claim in the area. You wouldn't want anyone else extracting gold or other precious metals from your own claim. Good Luck! be careful, there are critters out there in the woods that might want to do you harm.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Drop by Wild West Alaska gun store and talk to Phred(her real name is Caroline). She can help you find places to hunt and she may even go with you.And welcome to TNet. Happy hunting...

Part of me wonders how it is you know this. The rest of me is scared to death you'll tell us!! :laughing9:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Do a web search for "mine tailings". Can also go to any prospecting/mining forum (and TreasureNet, of course) and search for "tailings". That would be better than any explanation we could give.

However, in a nutshell, "tailings" are what is left over after you've run material for gold, or whatever it is you're looking for. In placer mining there is only one type of pile - tailings. In hard rock, there can be three piles: tailings, waste rock, and high grade (mined, but to be run at a later time). There might even be additional piles according to the values of the grades: high-grade, mid-grade, low-grade.

Tailings piles can come in all shapes and sizes and, if very old, may be impossible for an untrained eye to see.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Part of me wonders how it is you know this. The rest of me is scared to death you'll tell us!! :laughing9:

She is on facebook (that thing everybody here hates). She is a typical teen, very nice and she's just loving life. Now, so many folks trade with those people and TALK, that they will know where to go, where to hunt, all the legends and so on. Beats sitting in a dusty old library doing research and since she is so nice, who better to talk to?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When digging out a mine shaft the waste debris is placed outside a little ways from the mine. Sometimes ore samples are overlooked and lost in these ''tailings''. The miners back then did not have metal detectors, thus ore samples may be inside the waste rock that was thrown into these piles. Therefore detecting these tailing there are good chances of finding some ''Gold''. Again, Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread