Minelab Manticore
Minelabe Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Garrett "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

I will be heading to Anchorage, Ak in a couple days and I will be taking a Garrett ATX. While I'm there I want to learn to use it more and take my dad out for a good time. He's never been nugget hunting, well any metal detecting for that matter, haha. If anyone can point me in a good direction to either public areas or commercial mines that have public access, it would be much appreciated. I've called a few places listed on google maps, but so far i haven't received any useful info. Thanks in advance!

Dave

P.S. This is a duplicate post, if not done already I am deleting the original. I didn't realize there was an Alaska specific page.

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300
You might want to check out Crow Creek Mine down by Girdwood. Its a pay to play place known for good gold. There are a few free recreational panning places near Hope. Not sure if metal detecting is allowed at those places. Alaska Public Lands Information Center at 605 west 4th Ave in Anchorage gives out a packet of info on places to go that are free access. I would start with them.

OP
OP
dc.gronlund

dc.gronlund

Jan 24, 2018
portsmouth, va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelabe Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Garrett "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to check out Crow Creek Mine down by Girdwood. Its a pay to play place known for good gold. There are a few free recreational panning places near Hope. Not sure if metal detecting is allowed at those places. Alaska Public Lands Information Center at 605 west 4th Ave in Anchorage gives out a packet of info on places to go that are free access. I would start with them.

I already went up there and came back. Crow creek and a few other places I went to were too iced over still. I hope the next time I go will be in the summer. I did have fun though, found only trash is the areas that weren't icy, but still fun. Thanks for the post!

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already went up there and came back. Crow creek and a few other places I went to were too iced over still. I hope the next time I go will be in the summer. I did have fun though, found only trash is the areas that weren't icy, but still fun. Thanks for the post!

I was at Crow Creek last week. No ice whatsoever anymore. River is at a decent height as well. Tourists are starting to flow in as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread