Treasure Hunting in Alaska

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
midnightcaller, if no one answers your post email the chamber of commerce in Alaska. Better take some mosquito spray!
We went in September three years ago and stayed in Seaward. This was before my MD day's. I had questions and the Commerce was quick to reply to my email and full of info.

Pepper

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepper is absolutely cooorrect about the mosquitoes in Alaska. I was stationed at Eielson AFB (outside of Fairbanks) for 3 years and found out real quick that mosquitoes and black flies will drive you nuts during warm weather. If possible, get your hands on some old styled military bug juice. That's the only thing we found that actually worked. Deep Woods OFF was just salad dressing for those buggers.

Treasure hunting in AK has some unique situations. A lot of state lands can be leased on 99year leases and perminent homes built there. Make sure of land ownerships where you want to explore. As Pepper suggested, contact the local Chambers of Commerce in the areas you're interested in visiting. I'm sure that a LOT of new rules / laws have been added and modified since I lived up there.

Check the websites of the major metal detector manufacturers (especially Whites and Tesoro) for dealers in the Anchorage area. I'm sure there is at least one there. Drop by their shop and learn the local area dos and don'ts for MDing, THing, and prospecting. They'll be your very best source of info. You could even call or write them before traveling there so that you can do some preplanning.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ditto what everyone has said - they have always been very helpful and friendly. We stopped in GlennAllen once, and ending up spending a couple of hours drinking coffee and bs'ing with the officer.

Also right about those planes - er - mosquitoes.

Alaskans are proud of their mosquitoes, though. Only the females bite, and then they lay eggs (with your donation) and die. They can not bite twice. The Fairbanks newspaper used to have a little section at the top of their paper (everyday) explaining that their mosquitoes are of a different breed and cannot spread disease because of that fact!!

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions