diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story short... Bought an item. Item didn't function properly. Told seller. He said return for refund. I returned with signature confirmation because item was over $225. Item sitting at his local Post Office waiting to be picked up because he wasn't there to sign for it on Saturday. I messaged him and told him. He hasn't replied. I haven't escalated the case to ebay customer support yet. My questions are... If the guy never picks up the package and I escalate the case will ebay still refund my money? How does that work exactly? Won't the PO return the package to me after a certain amount of days? I don't see how I can get a refund with the item floating around in the Post office. What's to keep the guy from not picking it up on purpose if this is the case? Anybody experience a situation like this before with a refund?

PS- This would be perfect for an Ebay Q&A forum! :read2::sign13:

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Could it be due to the weather ? I live out in the country and the mail carrier will leave me a notice every couple of days informing me of a package I need to pick up.How long they give to pick it up, I dont know, but it is awhile.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good luck with that situation. I hope you used paypal...

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He lives in Astoria Oregon in an apartment complex. Delivery attempt was made, it states "notice left (no authorized recipient available)". I think they hold it for 15 days. I'm just wondering how Ebay handles situations like this.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it at this point. Give it a few more days and you will probably get your refund. Since the item was shipped with tracking it should be the same as a delivery. Not a refund but recently sold a 23 gram solid Platinum ring that was not signed for and delivered to their local Post Office. I sent a message and worried for a week before the buyer sent a return message with positive feedback for the ring.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes for the sales help forum whether it be the bay or any other.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it at this point. Give it a few more days and you will probably get your refund. Since the item was shipped with tracking it should be the same as a delivery. Not a refund but recently sold a 23 gram solid Platinum ring that was not signed for and delivered to their local Post Office. I sent a message and worried for a week before the buyer sent a return message with positive feedback for the ring.
Hopefully. The seller has already raised several red flags though. He waited an entire week before he even mailed it off. Then he didn't use signature confirmation either (if I was crooked, I could have already got it for free). Then I got no communication whatsoever from him for several days until I messaged him with an "Item Not as Described" case. All of a sudden he messages back within 12 hours telling me no problem just return it for a refund. Now no communication again. So, I am a little leary of this guy to begin with.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hopefully. The seller has already raised several red flags though. He waited an entire week before he even mailed it off. Then he didn't use signature confirmation either (if I was crooked, I could have already got it for free). Then I got no communication whatsoever from him for several days until I messaged him with an "Item Not as Described" case. All of a sudden he messages back within 12 hours telling me no problem just return it for a refund. Now no communication again. So, I am a little leary of this guy to begin with.

Some people are just procratinators. What is his feedback rating?

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha, sounds like a crappy seller that tries to mimick a cockroach. At this point you should already have your refund. Call up customer service and start logging the issues with them, the seller does have some amount of time to refund but don't let it go more than a couple weeks before you raise full hell and fury, customer service will side with you, your background communication with seller and the tracking. Keep us updated.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should always back up a friendly agreement to return with a friendly Paypal claim you will gladly cancel when it's over, because then I believe it makes him more obligated to sign, and if not PP will refund you. I do prefer to operate outside of pp, but if you want the system to work for you, I guess you have to use the system.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are just procratinators. What is his feedback rating?
It's 100% mostly as a seller.

Gotcha, sounds like a crappy seller that tries to mimick a cockroach. At this point you should already have your refund. Call up customer service and start logging the issues with them, the seller does have some amount of time to refund but don't let it go more than a couple weeks before you raise full hell and fury, customer service will side with you, your background communication with seller and the tracking. Keep us updated.
I will keep this updated.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
{Anybody experience a situation like this before with a refund?}

It works like this...Never ever take any action without going through Ebays dispute process.
Once you have received an item that is unsatisfactory to you?Immediately log into
Ebay and follow the dispute process.It works this way,ALL communications between you,the seller,and
Ebay are recorded in the Ebay files.It is a long process,but it works great.I've done this
both through Ebay and through Pay Pal.They take a picture of both sides of the fence and make
suggestions to help you and the seller come to a happy conclusion.(All the while Ebay is recording
every move made by each).If that doesn't work,they
make a judgement.They will almost always side with the buyer,since the buyer is not happy.
With that said,you should never have sent this item back without going through the dispute
system.At some time the post office should return to sender,since it is not being picked up.In the
meantime,go to Ebays dispute center.File a claim,and explain your actions.Along with the sellers.
Good luck.All the best.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had people send returns without going through the dispute process. I think its nice. I think ebay has everything regardless. Based on what they put in my feed I think they also have all google searches. When I lived in an apartment complex the mail carrier wouldn't even knock on my door. Just leave that annoying note. Resulting in me driving 5 miles when I was 40 feet away. In retrospect I should have complained to usps.

I recently had a customer who lived in a retirement complex and bought throw global shipping said he couldn't except UPS because they always just left a note at the front desk and never even tried his door. He didn't have a car and the station was 7 miles away. I had no control over this because it was global shipping program. So we canceled the transaction. I might give the seller a couple days. However if you already have bad vibes go with that gut feeling.

I see what you are doing here; ebay forum promoter

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, but here you get a reply. ;)
As you would on an ebay q&a forum. Of all people I would have expected you to be on board with this idea. Especially since you are an ebay exclusive buyer and seller. It's not like you ever have any garage sale finds to post (or ebay finds for that matter). Christ, you don't even go to garage sales. You worry that a forum with the word ebay in the title wouldn't get traffic? I think the search engine hits on google, bing, etc. would drive more traffic here alone. I mean that's how I find anything I'm looking for on here (like old posts), I do a Google search. It's not like the forum "search" feature is worth 2 cents, because it isn't. Basically it's useless... to me anyway.

I see what you are doing here; ebay forum promoter
Well... yes and no. Yes it is a prime example and no, I would have posted it anyway, even if I hadn't started the ebay forum poll..

{Anybody experience a situation like this before with a refund?}

It works like this...Never ever take any action without going through Ebays dispute process.
Once you have received an item that is unsatisfactory to you?Immediately log into
Ebay and follow the dispute process.It works this way,ALL communications between you,the seller,and
Ebay are recorded in the Ebay files.It is a long process,but it works great.I've done this
both through Ebay and through Pay Pal.They take a picture of both sides of the fence and make
suggestions to help you and the seller come to a happy conclusion.(All the while Ebay is recording
every move made by each).If that doesn't work,they
make a judgement.They will almost always side with the buyer,since the buyer is not happy.
With that said,you should never have sent this item back without going through the dispute
system.At some time the post office should return to sender,since it is not being picked up.In the
meantime,go to Ebays dispute center.File a claim,and explain your actions.Along with the sellers.
Good luck.All the best.
Everything has been done via ebay messaging. I should restate that I did open a dispute on Feb. 3. I just now escalated the case to Ebay customer support for a final decision. Update forthcoming.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should always back up a friendly agreement to return with a friendly Paypal claim you will gladly cancel when it's over, because then I believe it makes him more obligated to sign, and if not PP will refund you. I do prefer to operate outside of pp, but if you want the system to work for you, I guess you have to use the system.
So how does that work? All I get is this message- We're sorry there's a problem with your purchase. You already opened a case regarding this item. Please go to the Ebay Resolution Center to review the program details for information on what to do next.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
When i have a problem i call paypal at … 1-402-935-2050 … The reason is that i can not find a phone number for Ebay…..And when i get paypal on the phone they say that is a Ebay problem we can not handle that….. So i knew they would say that…. So i would ask them to please transfer me to ebay and they do and most times ebay fixs my problem...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions