Another Rant about an Ebay Buyer

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I know where this will go so I want to make this clear up front. I have told the buyer I will refund their money & I am not going to lose a bunch of sleep about it......but I do want a chance to complain to people that might understand.

A little background. Have been in the antique/junk/whatever business for a few years. About 18 months ago the wife was working part time so we decided to go into ebay sales with her handling the sales. She is now back to full time. Still selling for me but doesn't have enough time to do it all. I recently started listing a few items under my own account & am still learning the system.

I sold a Fossil watch last Thursday. It got to the buyer Monday. Tuesday morning they opened a case against me for item not as described. They said they couldn't find the "Fossil" mark on the watch. This was a watch made by Fossil for Snap-On tools. The only mark that identified it as being a Fossil was inside the back cover. I clearly stated in my description that the watch was marked on the inside of the back cover "Fossil Inc. Hong Kong 265476". In all fairness to the buyer, I didn't have a picture of the inside of the back cover in the auction. That was an oversight on my part. I did have clear pictures that showed it wasn't marked Fossil on the front or back of the watch. I'm cheesed because they didn't ask about the Fossil mark before bidding & that they didn't bother to contact me before opening a case against me.

I responded through eBay's message system & explained where the mark was. I also offered to refund their money if they were unwilling/unable to open the back of the watch to see the mark. So far no response. How does having an open case affect me?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it's a fossil watch, it's a fossil watch. You didn't claim it had a fossil mark on the outside and you provided clear pictures. You did the best thing possible in offering a refund if they are unsatisfied. Having an open case against you will not affect you. I'm sure you'll resolve it just fine.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out the listing. Clearly another idiot who either cant read or uses eBay buyer protection as a means of dealing with their buyers remorse.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The person is upset over that, like someone would be for a luxury item that wasn't marked in a certain way. Yeah that's some unnecessary pain for sure dealing with the likes of that.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The open case does NOT affect you at all. It will only affect you if the buyer escalates it. Meanwhile, they have to follow the procedure. If you offered to refund the money, I believe they have 14 days to get it back to you, and you have 3 days to refund the money.

Just wondering ... did the buyer contact you before opening the case? That will count against them if they did not.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay actually makes you jump through some hoops to contact the buyer if you just click on a problem with my item. I find that annoying

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, Ebay is a joke. I have used their services for a long time but after they sided with a gem of a unsatisfied buyer last month and took me for $1,900 I am never selling on there again. It is just a shame they have such a monopoly over the online auction market.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Ebay is a joke. I have used their services for a long time but after they sided with a gem of a unsatisfied buyer last month and took me for $1,900 I am never selling on there again. It is just a shame they have such a monopoly over the online auction market.

So how did they take you? There's no point in posting that message unless you explain more because there's many cases of unjustified complaints on here.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay actually makes you jump through some hoops to contact the buyer if you just click on a problem with my item. I find that annoying

Yeah, I joined ebay to buy a few things in December, before I decided to go into selling and noticed that... A few items were very much not as described (larimar beads shows as ocean blue came in as the white crappy part of the stone, etc). I went to contact them and I had no idea I was opening a case!

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The buyer opened the case without bothering to contact me first. They are returning the item. I'm reasonably sure they are suffering from buyers remorse because their complaint was that they couldn't find the mark......& when I told them where it was they still want to return. Not the end of the world but it is a pain in the butt.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buyer opened the case without bothering to contact me first. They are returning the item. I'm reasonably sure they are suffering from buyers remorse because their complaint was that they couldn't find the mark......& when I told them where it was they still want to return. Not the end of the world but it is a pain in the butt.

Get used to claims before contact, it's just how it is now. I don't know why someone wouldn't write first, but many don't. The most logical explanation is they want the backup of having a claim filed, and it's harder to do after you make contact with the seller and that person is accommodating to your request.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get used to claims before contact, it's just how it is now. I don't know why someone wouldn't write first, but many don't. The most logical explanation is they want the backup of having a claim filed, and it's harder to do after you make contact with the seller and that person is accommodating to your request.

I had to ask a question about an item I bought so I clicked on the contact seller button next to the item I bought, it led me to a list of topics. you chose one of the topics and it brings up common answers. if the answer you are looking for is not on that list, then it gives you the option of contacting the seller. when you choose to contact the seller it goes right in to the area to contact the seller and when you get done it shows you have opened a case. I believe this is something that Ebay has implemented. You used to be able to contact the seller directly before opening a case by clicking on that option.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The watch showed up in the mail today & I issued a refund for the full purchase price. Ebay shows the case as closed & refunded my final value fees. I'm out the postage to the buyer & whatever part of the fee Paypal keeps. The return policy on my listing shows buyer to pay return postage so I guess I'm good there.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check and make absolute sure that Paypal did not refund their fees. The couple of instances that I had the same circumstances, Paypal AND ebay did refund the fees they had originally charged. Its been a while tho, things may have changed...thx ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions