MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Can anyone help me do this right this time ? I have questions like, how do make sure I charge the right amounts for shipping? Without loosing out and without over pricing the shipping. Do I have to ship anything before I get paid, most my shipping can only be afforded after I get paid from my customer. I'm very, very poor.... My bank account is negative and I have 3 dollars in my pocket. Ummm, what else do I have to ask you guys? :icon_scratch: Whats the best way to list things, how many pictures should I use ? Should I do buy now or best offers ? What changes should I know about so I'm not shocked later ? Any links/posts ebay rules page I should read or anything ? Its greatly appreciated if you can give me any advice.

Thank you so much,
-MUD

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Well the first thing you'll notice is that EVERYTHING is changed. The old Ebay where nearly all deals went smoothly due to mutual trust and mutual feedback is gone. Now you have 2 choices when leaving feedback on a buyer. Positive or leave none at all. This has done nothing good that I can think of and encourages buyers to ship things back for stupid reasons, change their mind and not pay at all, and there's not alot you can do. Ebay says if it becomes a pattern with a particular buyer they will block them from bidding. BFD, that dosn't stop them from wasting your time. Got something that's a restoration project you want to sell ? List it "as is", check the box that says NO RETURNS, etc. Ebay dosn't honor that. ******* buyer nit picks & finds one little thing you missed and files an "item not as described" claim and Ebay gives them back the money and takes it from your account. I poke around on the discussion forums and also a couple times at ebaysucks.com and the general opinion is that they simply don't care one bit anymore about us little people who gave them their start. They don't need the mom & pop sellers anymore. They want to deal with the huge wholesalers who do 1000 items a month or more and consider having to eat a few returns or non paying bidders as just another business expense. With all that said, there's still no really equal alternative so for the moment we're stuck with them. Other online auction companies have tried to compete but it ain't happening. I just sold a $500 WWII Samurai sword last week. Showed the nicks in the blade with closeups as well as making note of it in the description. Showed that the scabbard was junk and specifically said in the description that is was most likely no good and should be considered a gift. Vietnamese buyer who barely can type a 4 letter word files a "not as described" case for the nicks in the blade and the damaged scabbard.... Ebay freezes my Paypal account, dicks around for a week, and then rules in his favor ? I had to call and ask to speak to a customer support rep, on hold for 20 minutes, get bumped to a supervisor, another 20 minutes explaining in detail why it was a BS claim and miracle of miracles, they reversed their decision and found in my favor. 2 months ago I had 6 auctions end with winning bids. 3 of those people never paid,, never answered messages, and it took me a month to get the Ebay fees reversed... Try it for 6 months. Pop back in and tell me if I was right or wrong. Oh yeah... your questions.. lol. Either let Ebay figure the shipping automatically or use USPS Flat Rate boxes as much as possible. Ship nothing until you have been paid. If you plan to not use flat rate buy a cheap digital scale and weigh things accurately. I bought mine right at the post office. Do the best you can to accurately describe every little detail and post lots of pics. It might cut down a little on frivolous returns. If you screw up and list something too cheap with no reserve eat your mistake and honor the bid anyway. Your feedback is more important than a couple bucks. Others will have other suggestions. These are mine as well as my recent experiences. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MudSWat, Now that the negative rant is out of the way, let me say that most of us have good things to say about the Bay.

To answer your questions: No, you don't have to ship an item until it's been paid for.
Buy a decent scale to weigh your items. You can then print your shipping labels right from Ebay.

You can find out alot at the Answer Center - The eBay Community It's a place to ask questions that are answered by other members.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, if anyone else has some more advice please feel free to reply.

Thanks again,
Keep @ it and HH !!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
MudSWat, Now that the negative rant is out of the way, let me say that most of us have good things to say about the Bay. To answer your questions: No, you don't have to ship an item until it's been paid for. Buy a decent scale to weigh your items. You can then print your shipping labels right from Ebay. You can find out alot at the Answer Center - The eBay Community It's a place to ask questions that are answered by other members.
"Negative rant" ? For telling him honestly about some instances that happened to me ? Then you go on to repeat everything else I already posted about a scale & shipping... I've been selling on Ebay since 1999. MUD said in his first post he had been away from it for a long time and asked what, if anything, had changed. I answered his question with facts. The new Ebay rules favor he buyers MUCH more than they ever did in the past. He needs to know this if he's planning to sell. Do you have a personal problem with me or do you always insult other members by making rude comments ?

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only been selling on ebay for a few years so I can't give you a long-term historical perspective. I have, however, sold about 500 items on ebay. I have only had a handful of problem buyers and I have had few complaints about ebay's service - and I am by no means a mega-seller. My advice is to start slow and small. List a few inexpensive items that you know will sell. You will learn much about the process just by doing it. The US Postal Service has an online calculator that should be a big help in figuring your shipping. The web page is here: Postage Price Calculator. When you enter the weight, be sure to include the weight of the box and packing material.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Mud depending what you are selling take a look at the Regional A and B flat rate boxes. You can save lots of $$$$$ using one of those boxes. As I posted in another thread the boxes are free but you need to order them from the USPS website. You won't find them at your local PO.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start selling small, light, and non-fragile items. Sell a bunch of stuff for $5-$50 before you do anything big, it gives you a chance to practice and learn the game before putting anything serious on the line. Plus, It'll get your feedback up a bit which is good as well, many people won't buy from a seller with tiny feedback.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone,

I've listed 17 things now... :icon_scratch: I set them for 3 day auctions hoping I could extend them later... Only to find out you can't. :BangHead: Shipping seems to calculate really high... Nothings sold yet :sadsmiley:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
When I set up a listing as an auction, I always use the 7 day variety. I just feel like 3 days doesn't give enough time for everybody who might be interested in the item to actually become aware that one is being offered. I figure a bunch of people don't check in with ebay more than once or twice a week and they may miss such a short auction.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When I set up a listing as an auction, I always use the 7 day variety. I just feel like 3 days doesn't give enough time for everybody who might be interested in the item to actually become aware that one is being offered. I figure a bunch of people don't check in with ebay more than once or twice a week and they may miss such a short auction.

For unusual items with a small buyer base, this may be true. For common items like 90% silver coins, for instance, you could list them for 1 day and sell them every single time at market value. It all depends on the item.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I sold something... :icon_scratch: I'm just really confused now how to handle the shipping... :dontknow: Whats the best, most cost effective way to ship this and keep to my shipping policy ?

Thanks everyone !! :notworthy:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Didn't you have the shipping cost & method listed already ? You have to choose those things before they let your listing get posted in my experience. How about a link to the auction so we can see how it's worded ?

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just selected, Expedited Shipping and I say I'll track and insure items. I'm just wondering, should I click the print shipping label button. Or should I take it to the post office ?? When should I enter feedback ?
I don't think the mods will like it if I put a link to the auction...
Thanks, Keep @ it and HH !!
:hello2:

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me I think I'm over doing auctions and best offers. I found if I put something up for a good set price I can get immediate payment and I'm really happy with that. I've noticed also if I run a set price listing for 3 days I won't be charged anymore for 2 more automatic relisting's, so if it didn't sell on the first run I may edit the price a bit down sometimes on the next free listing. On domestic freight its no extra for 1st class parcel with delivery confirmation from me, "it's cheap". The domestic buyer is responsible for any other fast expedite shipping and insurance. For international I do my best of putting the item in an open box I'll send it in add packing and weight all that and do calculation on usps.com and I'll even add a tiny bit more to that figure, because 1st class Intl' freight has gone up a bunch in the last year or so. Any insurance, tracking or faster service is all the Intl's buyers call. Most items make it overseas in around 2 weeks it seems, but some can take a month or more. I sent a $220.00 watch to Malaysia last December and it never did, by what the buyer says show up, but he's good with it, as he knows he didn't request any expedite, tracking or insurance. I take cell photos of all my shipping documents and file them that way, plus keep the hard copies in a box in a drawer. For really expensive items I even take a picture of the shipping container with the label to the camera sitting on the p.o. scale at the desk with the postal worker in the picture, so there's no question I sent it. I just did that with an item that sold for over a grand. Have fun and make some money.

Last edited:

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Preview the auction when youre listing it & include cost of shipping in the description....Make sure you get paid the shipping cost you will have to Incur to ship the item.. Small stuff can ship small flat rate box $ 5.80....go to the US Postal site for help & estimate costs & bookmark it...I don't print shipping labels due to the amount of Ink used gets expensive .. when you receive Paypal payment their shipping address is on the email I write it on a USPS label..Enter feedback when you receive payment & after they receive item..US Postal automatically tracks & insures for $50.00 with Priority mail. Go to Ebay community to read about the things going on with Fee Bay I mean Ebay.They are not doing sellers any favors.. believe me ..They Ding you final value ( FEE ) Shipping cost (FEE ) why??? It gets easier ..Good Luck

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
one of your first purchases should be a postal scale. (assuming you have a printer). Starting out do not use expedited shipping..you are committing to priority mail at a cost of 5.00 something or much more depending on weight.
Just specify economy, if you want to use priority you still can when you print out labels. Start your auctions at the minimum you will be happy with and make sure shipping is covered.

Agree with start slow..but not too low. Items 5.00 and under often attract very demanding customers in some categories. (Bottom feeders). Over describe. Photos look great on the computer, but lose detail on phones.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You can create an account on the USPS website and get all the Priority Mail shipping boxes & labels you want sent right to your house. I also get Priority Mail packing tape from my local PO for free but you have to ask for that. It isn't listed on the website. Not sure if they are supposed to give it out but I live in a very small town and my local PO is run by just one lady who is really nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions