Shipping to an APO address: Experiences? Risks?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first time I've had a buyer inquire as to if I will ship to an APO AP address. Before I respond, I want to be sure that I am covered by at least USPS insurance should the buyer claim the item is not received.

Here is what I know:

-The item is over $250
-Paypal requires signature confirmation on items over $250 or they won't cover the item (seller protection)
-USPS does not have the signature confirmation option for items being shipped to APOs

My main concern is this: If I sell the item to this buyer and ship to their APO address with full USPS insurance coverage.. and for whatever reason the buyer claims the item was not received.. will I be reimbursed by USPS for the item's value? Are there any conditions that would prevent this?

What I'm worried about is if the item arrives at the APO address, is marked as delivered to that address (then USPS insurance won't work?) and then the buyer claims he never received the item and eBay won't cover me due to not having a signature confirmation.

I'd love to sell this item, but being as it'd be my first time shipping to an APO and I read there is a risk involved (is there any way to eliminate that risk?), I am very cautious about it. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions when shipping to APOs or should they simply be avoided altogether?

Thanks for your help.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you could use registered mail? Not sure if it would be cost prohibitive in your situation.

BTW You will may need to fill out a custums form when shipping to an APO.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a long while since I've shipped to an APO address. I don't remember having to fill out customs forms, but may depend on where it's located.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and while it doesn't help out right now, I got an email from Paypal with policy updates stating that requirement of signature confirmation is changing from $250 to $750. It goes into effect May 15th though.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the USPS website
"Our military service members and diplomatic personnel work hard for us overseas. Far from home, few things brighten their days more than mail from friends and loved ones. Although for APO/FPO/DPO shipments you pay domestic prices, you’ll need to follow special guidelines.You will need a customs form for your APO/FPO/DPO packages. What form you need depends on the service you’re using and the declared value of your mail." https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-guidelines.htm

Maybe this is new but the last time I shipped to an APO ebay told me it required a customs form.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread