Buyers Do Not Read Auction Descriptions

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why do we have issues with Buyers? I have found that most folks don't read the description. For instance I sell cakes that are a 3 box min purchase with free shipping. Easy enough?? NOT!! This is what leads off my description.

Read Carefully You Must Buy at Least 3 Boxes.

I will refund your money if your order just 1 or 2 boxes.

3 Box Minimum Purchase On All Family Packs

Every week I have at least 5 or 6 people who order one box. In the end they either order the additional boxes or request a refund. Next I receive questions all week on how much is shipping???

ALWAYS FREE EXPEDITED SHIPPING!!

This is the largest font size in the description.

They actually tell me they didn't read the description, or didn't see the information.

So when I do a storage auction and buy a locker, or buy at a garage sale I am not surprised there are so many issues on the description of the product.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
NJcigarman;3940477]Why do we have issues with Buyers? I have found that most folks don't read the description. For instance I sell cakes that are a 3 box min purchase with free shipping. Easy enough?? NOT!! This is what leads off my description.

Yes it is true they do not read descriptions. On a phone it can be painful to read descriptions especially if photos are embedded in the description.

You might try adding it in your title - 3 box minimum and especially add a custom item specific:

Like... Ship: Free shipping with 3 box order
Or: Order: 3 box minimum

These item specifics are becoming increasingly important.

Whatever applies to assist this segment of your customer base understand what they are looking at.. I would estimate maybe 5 percent do not read descriptions. That is not going to change..that is just the way it is.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have redone most of my listings so they are easier to read on a phone, or a tablet. I have looked at some of my competitors listing on a phone, and they are hard to read. You either have to do a lot of side scanning, or if you make the listing samll enough not to side scan, the description is so small, you can barely read it.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand.

You are requiring buyers to order multiple items from you?

Is this even allowed under ebay policy?

Why not just make each listing for 3 items?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm confused too.

Why not just create a new listing where you sell 3 boxes with free shipping???

Also, when you say "I'll refund your money", as a buyer, that is REALLY freaking confusing.

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All my shipping is free. But most of my sales are transplants on the left coast. I can't do free shipping on one box at 7.99. I try to keep the prices reasonable. I am not making a lot on a 3 box sale. If you check other listings they are robbing people.

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm confused too.

Why not just create a new listing where you sell 3 boxes with free shipping???

Also, when you say "I'll refund your money", as a buyer, that is REALLY freaking confusing.

It is in black and white how can it be confusing?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
It is in black and white how can it be confusing?

It isn't confusing to you, but as a typical buyer, it is. Your ad says "free shipping", and then is confusing about how many I have to buy to get the free shipping.

(Not to worry: many times, I've written ads that made sense to me, but not to anyone else.)

BTW, I am not trying to insult you or step on your toes. I'm only replying in an honest manner. As with anything I post, it is just an opinion, and YMMV.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
No offense but you asked for help and you said that many buyers are not following your rules...

This should be a wake up call to you.

I have never seen an auction set up the way you are doing this. It is confusing!

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No offense but you asked for help and you said that many buyers are not following your rules...

This should be a wake up call to you.

I have never seen an auction set up the way you are doing this. It is confusing!

Well first I NEVER asked for help. I basically was making the point that when you sell other items you get returns. What I see folks complaining on here is an argument over description with a buyer. Second if I did I would have put up the auction for all the experts to critique!!!!But someone else felt the need to do that for me. I am and have been the No. 1 seller of Tastykakes on eBay for quite sometime. Take a minute and look at the feedbacks. Nobody complaining about the auction or the description. Never received one message that it was CONFUSING. I have people who order from me weekly on the west coast.
But I did received my wake up call about this forum!!!

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first I NEVER asked for help. I basically was making the point that when you sell other items you get returns. What I see folks complaining on here is an argument over description with a buyer. Second if I did I would have put up the auction for all the experts to critique!!!!But someone else felt the need to do that for me. I am and have been the No. 1 seller of Tastykakes on eBay for quite sometime. Take a minute and look at the feedbacks. Nobody complaining about the auction or the description. Never received one message that it was CONFUSING. I have people who order from me weekly on the west coast.

No, they're not confused once they go back and do more reading, or you explain it, but it's pretty obvious if 5 or 6 write you in a week all with the same issue it's probably not so much them, and even if it is, it's going to keep happening over and over and over again. Anyone who starts writing conditions in the text of their listings is probably going to have the same experience because most buyers shop on ebay because it's quick and easy.

This sounds like an easier than easy fix, and the bottom line is you set up your page as to not give buyers the ability to mess it up... or like in my case if they don't wait for a combined invoice they pay me more!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No I write them when they order one box. Then they say to me I didn't read the description. Sorry and in most cases they order 2 more boxes.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have 5 or 6 people a week that you are refunding because they didn't order the minimum amount, then yes, there is a problem. No.1 seller of Tastykakes or not. As IP has stated, this is an easier than easy fix and the solution has already been given. Not that anyone has claimed to be an expert on here but, if you wish not to be critiqued, then you should not have posted your rant. This is a public forum after all.

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Dig if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck. It's a Duck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread