Opinions wanted on dispute with buyer

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I placed a item up for bid that ended with 3 bids on it, all the bids were placed on the second day of a 7 day auction. The winning bidder was the leading bid for the last six day. The auction ended and I heard nothing from the buyer and recieved no payment for 48 hours and then I recieve an email saying he accidentally bid on this item and could I cancel or offer a second chance offer. I was not happy but I sent a second chance offer on the item, as soon as I sent the second chance offer the original buyer pays. I email him and ask why he paid after I made the second chance offer and he says because ebay was threatening him with a non payment strike. I informed the buyer that if the second chance offer was accepted I would refund his purchase. The second chance offer wasn't accepted so I shipped the item Yesterday morning to the original buyer. The original buyer sends a email last night and demands his money and goes on about what I am doing wrong and really gets ugly towards me. Last night I planned just to refund his money and let him keep the item or send it back, his choice. The item was a total of $15 so money is not so much the issue. After reading and thinking about his emails I decided to email him and tell him he must follow my return policy. I know I may recieve negative feedback but I just hate to give him an item for free after the way he has acted. I was just wondering how other sellers would have handled the situation. Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's really nothing you can do other than that. If he leaves you negative you can certainly challenge it, because if you get a real person looking at this they will definitely see what an idiot he is. That's just the way it is selling online, most people are good but some feel it's all about them, what they want, and how they want to do it. I don't think you should give in, and do think you will be able to have a negative erased. I'm glad it's not possible to reach through my computer screen because I know there have been times I likely would have strangled someone.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In my opinion there is nothing you can do but lose on most aspects of this situation. YOU are NOT the one being a jerk in this. Do not give him his money back, and contact Ebay to potentially avoid the negative feedback. A real man stands with pride in the face of bad behavior.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like IP says...follow protocol, and E-bay should be able to sort out the good from the bad. Sorry you have to deal with idiots like this, but thus is life..just keep on doing the next right thing and you can sleep at night, makes me wonder how some of these crooks get ANY rest..When I had my brick and mortar biz, I called this the "GP Syndrome"...referring to GENERAL PUBLIC. E-bay should institute a grade level I.Q. test before joining...but then who would buy all my junk...ha! good luck! ddf

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get ahold of a real ebay person they should side with you

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
On one hand, they placed the bid and you don't "accidentally" bid on an item. When you place a bid, you are obligated. On the other hand, ebay policy makes it possible for a buyer to do whatever the heck they please and the seller must suffer for it, and with that in mind, I wouldn't have ever shipped the item knowing there would be a problem. I would have asked if they really wanted it or not and when they said no, cancel the transaction, refund, and relist in an attempt to avoid the impending hassle.

OP
OP
L

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On one hand, they placed the bid and you don't "accidentally" bid on an item. When you place a bid, you are obligated. On the other hand, ebay policy makes it possible for a buyer to do whatever the heck they please and the seller must suffer for it, and with that in mind, I wouldn't have ever shipped the item knowing there would be a problem. I would have asked if they really wanted it or not and when they said no, cancel the transaction, refund, and relist in an attempt to avoid the impending hassle.

I agree that I probablly shouldn't have shipped this item and should have just cancelled. I do believe people make mistakes but looking at was this ebayer sales the bid was no accident, he just changed his mind about the item. I have cancelled bids or transactions before this guys communication skills were not very good and I guess I let him get to me. I don't sell a whole lot on ebay so I will take it as a lesson learned.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the buyer email you directly, or through Ebay's messaging? Either way, if he leaves you a negative, you should be able to have it removed.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep....once again everything in favour for the buyers, no matter how much they screw you around, I'd take the negative and get your goods back.

SS

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I agree that I probablly shouldn't have shipped this item and should have just cancelled. I do believe people make mistakes but looking at was this ebayer sales the bid was no accident, he just changed his mind about the item. I have cancelled bids or transactions before this guys communication skills were not very good and I guess I let him get to me. I don't sell a whole lot on ebay so I will take it as a lesson learned.

It's hard to keep from letting some of those sellers get to you. I have to pick my battles and let most of them slide. Once in a while I stand my ground when I know I am being jerked around and about to take a loss I shouldn't have to take.

icyheart

Mar 8, 2014
Alabama
Detector(s) used
lol el cheapo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a bad go around with a buyer that lied in emails about an item and I contacted a person on ebay that sided and seen the lies and told me to get the lady to open a case which i did and guess what the buyer got away with lying about an item being broken and got full refund. I had proof of the lies and ebay let the buyer get away with it. so ive learned to grin and bare it. which sucks..

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I need a button I can click everytime something like this comes up so I don't have to type this all out... Same answer every time. Call Ebay customer service. No matter who answers ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them what you told us. They will resolve it and block the buyer from leaving a negative.. Done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions