Ebay Knife help also police radio help, yes i need lots of help.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I hit a Tuesday estate sale and it was the home of an deceased ex cop. I picked up some nice stuff but I have some questions/concerns.

Anyway I picked something similar to this: Vintage Original Rizzuto Estileto Stiletto Folding Knife Milano | eBay

(sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while, I know next to nothing about knives)

In my state there are issues with these, I mean not for cops though they are above the law....... but for the peasant folk like us they are illegal. I was just wondering how these people were able to list switchblades on ebay without getting pulled? I know they aren't listed as switchblades, rather "folding knives" but that seems kind of risky.

My second question was about the walkie talkies I bought, Motorola Radius p200, I got home plugged them in to some charged batteries and been listening to police calls all morning. I know nothing about them except what they sell for on ebay, so is there any regulations about owning or selling them? Not sure if they are specifically configured for PD's? I know having a scanner is one thing but I could really just jump on their radio and start talking to them, assuming I want to get charged with a bunch of felonies.

Got to love ex cop estate sales....

Thanks.

Keep reading if you want to hear a funny story.

It was called an estate sale but really it was a glorified garage sale. Anyway there was this awesome neon beer sign that I wanted to take a look at while I was there. They didn't bring it outside because they didn't want it damaged. Anyway when I realized the guy was an ex cop I asked if they had any guns for sale. The lady running the sale said she would ask the wife if she had any. Anyway she comes back and says nope guns are all gone. So she lets me in the house to see the sign and am basically let into a screened in porch. First thing I notice walking in is the beer sign, the second thing I notice is the wall of guns. All hung on nails all out in the open, no locks, no safe. Maybe the guy took all the firing pins out I don't know. It just seems silly to put all your guns on a wall display and the only thing stopping me from getting to them is a screen door. Some people have no common sense. Any if you are going to be showing people the beer sign maybe just maybe you could take the guns down out of plain sight for the 2 days you run the sale?

Now I know why my state was the last to pass carry and conceal, idiot cops getting their houses robbed and all those illegal guns flooding the streets. :BangHead:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is risky to list things ebay doesn't want you to list. I have gotten away with it, but in the past few months they've caught my key-making machine, a vintage knife with a D-Guard, and something else. That being said, there seems to be no penalty.

They were lucky with that sale. Thieves target estate sales. I had a couple of guns stolen the night before a sale opened. It is not uncommon around here to have to wait the morning of a sale to get the address from the web.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
LOL I am one of those idiot retired cops. Come into my yard, back porch, patio etc. looking to steal something. I don't need to tell you what will happen. That will be after you meet mans best friend.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Hmmm, all those illegal guns flooding the streets are stolen from cops homes?? Someone has been drinking the Kool-aide. And not the good kind. Possibly have a bad experience? Or you watch too much tv? Please remember that current and retired law enforcement officers are highly trained and professional individuals. Of course, most criminals are too lazy and pathetic to hit a target that will most likely fight back. And before you say " I'm entitled to my opinion" let me say " get real". Okay, I admit it, I have a lot of respect for LE people. They are the sheepdogs keeping the wolves at bay.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Hmmm, all those illegal guns flooding the streets are stolen from cops homes?? Someone has been drinking the Kool-aide. And not the good kind. Possibly have a bad experience? Or you watch too much tv? Please remember that current and retired law enforcement officers are highly trained and professional individuals. Of course, most criminals are too lazy and pathetic to hit a target that will most likely fight back. And before you say " I'm entitled to my opinion" let me say " get real". Okay, I admit it, I have a lot of respect for LE people. They are the sheepdogs keeping the wolves at bay.

It was sarcasm.

Just like I detect your sarcasm when you say, "Please remember that current and retired law enforcement officers are highly trained and professional individuals."

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Actually It wasn't sarcasm at all. I am new to law enforcement and I have many friends that are long time LE. These guys and girls are good at what they do and deserve are respect. They face extreme danger everyday that most of us take for granted. But, I respect your right to expressing sarcasm. Sorry for misinterpreting your post.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Actually It wasn't sarcasm at all. I am new to law enforcement and I have many friends that are long time LE. These guys and girls are good at what they do and deserve are respect. They face extreme danger everyday that most of us take for granted. But, I respect your right to expressing sarcasm. Sorry for misinterpreting your post.
In all professions you will have good and bad people. In government jobs you can't get rid of the bad people. On police forces the good protect the bad. If you don't protect the bad you end up dieing in a cabin fire in the mountains of California. A young friend of mine said she wanted to be a cop. I told her I would lose all respect for her. She said no she wants to be a good cop. I went home and got my copy of Serpico out and next time I saw her I told her to read this book first then ask yourself if you are ready to be a good cop. I have not spoken to her since but will be interested in what she has to say. I have a friend who is a police officer. He loves his kids and his wife. He is a good man. If he was put in a position that he had to choose between his paycheck and not being able to support his family vs standing up for what he thought right, what do you think he would do?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the members of law enforcement do a job that most wouldn't want to do. They do deserve respect for that. I will say though, if the guns aren't for sale, get the things off the wall and out of sight or something. This was an "estate sale". Sounds like common sense to me, if your gonna be letting possibly dozens of people through your house.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Yea dig, that's a good point about the display, if that is really the case. Thanks for letting me share my opinion on this with too much grief. Respect for law enforcement doesn't seem to be very prevalent anymore. It's a shame.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if they policed themselves better opinions would change.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In all professions you will have good and bad people. In government jobs you can't get rid of the bad people. On police forces the good protect the bad. If you don't protect the bad you end up dieing in a cabin fire in the mountains of California. A young friend of mine said she wanted to be a cop. I told her I would lose all respect for her. She said no she wants to be a good cop. I went home and got my copy of Serpico out and next time I saw her I told her to read this book first then ask yourself if you are ready to be a good cop. I have not spoken to her since but will be interested in what she has to say. I have a friend who is a police officer. He loves his kids and his wife. He is a good man. If he was put in a position that he had to choose between his paycheck and not being able to support his family vs standing up for what he thought right, what do you think he would do?

Just like our President!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions