Holiday weekends / best ending day

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What are your thoughts on when the best time to end an auction is? I usually set mine up to end Sunday evening. I remembered that if I start auctions this Sunday, they will end on July 4th weekend. Hubby says people will be traveling and not looking to buy.

When do you end your auctions? do you think day and time matters? (I did google it, which is why I do it for Sunday night.) Would you end on a holiday weekend, or take a break?

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday or Sunday afternoons or evenings are best. Avoid ending at odd hours, weekdays, or holidays. I have royally screwed myself by accidentally ending auctions in the early AM -- stuff with 15-20 watchers has ended much lower than expected when set to expire at the wrong time.

I have actually missed out on some great deals because I simply couldn't bring myself to disengage from sleep/holiday gatherings/work to snipe the auction, and also don't feel like paying a sniping service to do so for me.

The best bids happen on the last day at the last second, so timing is everything. What I do to avoid these situations is list a somewhat high 30 day BIN OBO, then convert to an auction a week away from the desired end date. You might have to eat a small fee for the 30 day BIN, but it beats having your item off the market completely.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I have ALWAYS had good luck ending my items on Sunday afternoon between 3-5 EST. Thursday afternoons seem to be a good time also. Any other times are hit and miss. I avoid all holidays and travel days. I have almost given stuff away by making that mistake!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to end my auctions Sunday around 8pm. Not too late for east coast and not too early for west coast. Saturday night hasnt been the best of days for me.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ALWAYS had good luck ending my items on Sunday afternoon between 3-5 EST. Thursday afternoons seem to be a good time also. Any other times are hit and miss. I avoid all holidays and travel days. I have almost given stuff away by making that mistake!

Interesting about Thursday evenings. See any reason behind it?

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My auctions are dying on the vine this week. I'm thinking about pulling them just so my items don't get stale and look like there's something wrong with them.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold BINs almost every day. Then again, it was all under $20 a piece ... I have 7 watchers on my watch that closes Sunday night.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Sorry I just saw the question about Thursdays. I think it's because a lot of folks checks go through on Thursday evenings. At least that's all I can figure. I have certainly seen the pattern though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions