Watch out for the small malbox express or other packaging shipping stores.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold the Mcdonalds hanging light fixture I posted about a month or two ago. Didn't have a box big enough o fit it, so decided to run into town to get an estimate for boxing and shipping it out.

Box would be approx. 24"x24"x16" and the weight is around 12 lbs. Shipping from Texas to CA

They said it would cost $12 to package it in a box with packing peanuts. Ok, its high but doesn't seem outrageous. Then, the shipping they quoted me through UPS and FedEx ground was $92 on top of that. WHAT!? So, I say thanks and leave with my light. Decided to run by a couple stores in town to check for boxes and find one big enough. So, get home, package up the light in the box with packing peanuts, weigh it, and check shipping prices with ebay/paypal. $32.

So, the mailbox express place quoted me $92 to ship this item, and doing the postage through ebay it was $32 via FedEx ground. That's jus crazy. I know better than to EVER step foot in that place ever again. Just a lesson for anyone out there who doesn't use the shipping feature through ebay/paypal

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think online shipping is killing those places and they are raising their prices to make up for the loss in people walking through the door. Which is a death spiral.

But it is affecting ebay sellers, too. Amazon and the dot coms have made buyers expect free shipping, and it doesn't cost amazon nearly as much to offer it as it does you and I.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold the Mcdonalds hanging light fixture I posted about a month or two ago. Didn't have a box big enough o fit it, so decided to run into town to get an estimate for boxing and shipping it out.

Box would be approx. 24"x24"x16" and the weight is around 12 lbs. Shipping from Texas to CA

They said it would cost $12 to package it in a box with packing peanuts. Ok, its high but doesn't seem outrageous. Then, the shipping they quoted me through UPS and FedEx ground was $92 on top of that. WHAT!? So, I say thanks and leave with my light. Decided to run by a couple stores in town to check for boxes and find one big enough. So, get home, package up the light in the box with packing peanuts, weigh it, and check shipping prices with ebay/paypal. $32.

So, the mailbox express place quoted me $92 to ship this item, and doing the postage through ebay it was $32 via FedEx ground. That's jus crazy. I know better than to EVER step foot in that place ever again. Just a lesson for anyone out there who doesn't use the shipping feature through ebay/paypal

The store provides a service and does not do so for free. If you don't want to pay $12 to have a business pack up your item in their box with their packing materials using their labor, then I suggest you do it yourself.

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerseyben, read nathans post again. He wasn't complaining about the $12(he admitted that seemed high but was ok with it). He was complaining that there was a $60 price discrepency between the shipping cost they quoted him and what it actually costs to ship.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread