The "Buy it Now" Feature

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a Buy it Now price, and that price is met, does it automatically freeze that item where no higher bids will be acceted?
I'm a definite ROOKIE at this ebay stuff. Also, if you accept returns, where can you put how long returns will be accepted after it closes?
One more question. How do you get the picture set up to where it will magnify when being viewed?

Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buy-it-now will disappear before the bidding reaches that level. Sometimes after the first bid, it seems. I'm not exactly sure. But never does an item freeze so that higher bids aren't accepted.

The return period is set after you click the box that says Returns Accepted at the bottom of the listing screen.

Load super large pictures. ebay shrinks them to fit in the box but they go to the original size when the buyer views them.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have moused over some pics on ebay and it will magnify that area of the item. Others that I mouse over, including mine, do not magnify. Another problem is it ALWAYS takes me 3 attenpts to log in. What would cause that. I've omly been logging in a few days but it never fails. I know I put it in correctly but it doesn't work until the 3rd try. Thanks for the info on the Buy it Now feature.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the buy it now is used, the auction is over. There is also an option to have the buyer make immediate payment with PayPal if they use the buy it now.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just listed an auction with a buy it now for the first time. I assumed that the buyer would just click buy it now if there is multiple bidders and the price starts getting close to the buy it now price. Judging by what you all are saying,once bidding starts the buy it now is taken out of the equation?

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bid on a textbook that had no bids and a buy-it-now. When I bid, I watched and the buy-it-now disappeared.

I almost always snipe, but here I wanted that buy-it-now to disappear and so I went ahead and bid it in.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the net:
in most categories, when your item receives a bid, the BIN option disappears and the item goes through the normal auction process. If you have a reserve price on your item, the BIN feature doesn’t disappear until a bidder meets your reserve price through the normal bidding process. To list an item with Buy It Now, you must have a feedback of 10 or be ID verified.
The Buy It Now price will remain, if there is a bid that doesn’t reach 50% of your BIN price in certain categories:

• Parts & Accessories (eBay Motors)
  • Tickets
  • Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
  • Cell Phones & PDAs

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found this which answers my question about the "zoom over" feature on pictures:
To get mouse-over zoom feature for the eBay hosted Gallery Photosin upper left corner of listing...(1)Make sure that Picture Pack option is checked PRIOR to uploading images,(this should already be "pre-checked" and is FREE for most listing categories).(2)Uploaded photos need to be LARGER than 500 pixels on longest sidefor the zoom feature to work,(for best results, preferably 800 to 1600 pixels on longest side).FYI:Photos taken at 2 megapixels, 4:3 aspect-ratio, and NOT cropped,or at 3.5 megapixels and square-cropped will be optimally-sized foreBay's Picture Pack zoom feature...(1600x1200 and 1600x1600 picture dimensions, respectively).

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found this which answers my question about the "zoom over" feature on pictures:
To get mouse-over zoom feature for the eBay hosted Gallery Photosin upper left corner of listing...(1)Make sure that Picture Pack option is checked PRIOR to uploading images,(this should already be "pre-checked" and is FREE for most listing categories).(2)Uploaded photos need to be LARGER than 500 pixels on longest sidefor the zoom feature to work,(for best results, preferably 800 to 1600 pixels on longest side).FYI:Photos taken at 2 megapixels, 4:3 aspect-ratio, and NOT cropped,or at 3.5 megapixels and square-cropped will be optimally-sized foreBay's Picture Pack zoom feature...(1600x1200 and 1600x1600 picture dimensions, respectively).

Yep I was going to mention to get the picture pack. 12 pictures, super size ,gallery....I have my camera set on the highest resolution setting and never have a problem. (Nikon Coolpix L100)

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see a Picture Pack option when I list. I'm not on the "Advanced" way to list though, maybe that's why??

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The enhanced photo uploader will give you the best options. It is also the easiest to use in my opinion.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find it.??
UPDATE: It's all better now. My pics still weren't large enough. I finally saved one to ebay that magnifys. Thanks!

Last edited:

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
a little off topic but do you guys price your buy it now OBO higher than what you expect or right at your lowest price?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little off topic but do you guys price your but it now OBO higher than what you expect or right at your lowest price?

I set the BIN higher, but I have the "best offer" option...so price it 30% above what you want best offer can hit the Bullseye!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread