Seeking advice for this bidder I blocked?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I will just copy the email I sent to ebay under report buyer. I will remove names, ids, and item numbers.

Previously ebay user id: *** bid on item #****. Her address is *****. She never paid and I was unable to list my item waiting for her nonpayment to clear. When I relisted the item #**** The user id different id purchased the item has not paid and has not responded. This user id resides at the exact same address. I believe they are bidding on my item so as to remove competition from their own listings. They sell similar merchandise. This seller is wasting my time while they get to sell their items. I do not wish to send this item to them at this point even if they do pay as they are clearly up to no good. I also sent them reminder messages asking if they still wanted the item and they never responded. This is an unscrupulous seller who is resorting to unfair tactics should be under scrutiny as I sure if they are doing this to me they are probably also engaging other sellers with this same practice.

So after 8 days of not paying as soon as I send this email under report buyer. The buyer pays the next day. If I send them the item I know they will leave negative feedback. If I call eBay I have a good feeling they will tell me to send the item.

So what should I do?? Its a $20 item. And I would rather throw it away than send it to her.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Document the item as thoroughly as possible before sending, send with tracking and signature confirmation.

I recently blocked an annoying low-feedback hustler on a $300 BIN item. He begged me to unblock him, promised he would pay in full immediately, etc. His wording and level of dedication to getting the item were bizarre. I ignored him and his backup account bought it the next day.

Since it was BIN, he was forced to pay immediately and I had no choice but to send it. I thought for sure it was going to be a rent-and-return or similar scam, but nothing happened.

Wouldn't sweat it on a $20 item.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know why you can block people and eBay doesn't think that maybe someone with the exact same address doesn't get blocked. I just fear the bad feedback. I don't really care about the item. But that is good advice. Now I really have to video tape myself packing a $20 item. This is a new low.

Document the item as thoroughly as possible before sending, send with tracking and signature confirmation.

I recently blocked an annoying low-feedback hustler on a $300 BIN item. He begged me to unblock him, promised he would pay in full immediately, etc. His wording and level of dedication to getting the item were bizarre. I ignored him and his backup account bought it the next day.

Since it was BIN, he was forced to pay immediately and I had no choice but to send it. I thought for sure it was going to be a rent-and-return or similar scam, but nothing happened.

Wouldn't sweat it on a $20 item.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know why you can block people and eBay doesn't think that maybe someone with the exact same address doesn't get blocked. I just fear the bad feedback. I don't really care about the item. But that is good advice. Now I really have to video tape myself packing a $20 item. This is a new low.

That's about all you can do. Would only dispute it with eBay after the fact - they will probably side with you given the facts if there is a negative.

The scammers and shady competition love the $20 and under items because they assume it doesn't make a dent in a big seller's bottom line and can easily be dragged out into a war of attrition with a small seller. Learned this the hard way when I was starting out. Now the only time I sell something for $20 or under is if I get it for free and it's easy to photograph and pack.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things may have changed, but a few years back blocked bidders were not allowed to bid on your items from a different user name or from the same IP address as the blocked bidder. Contact Ebay and see what they say.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Things may have changed, but a few years back blocked bidders were not allowed to bid on your items from a different user name or from the same IP address as the blocked bidder. Contact Ebay and see what they say.

That only works or worked if the Bidder has only one computer. They could be using one computer for bidding on items under a specific user name and if blocked, then resort to using the other computer under the other user name. If a Bidder is blocked, eBay should block all Bidders with the same or close associated address.

Frank

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I will just copy the email I sent to ebay under report buyer. I will remove names, ids, and item numbers.

Previously ebay user id: *** bid on item #****. Her address is *****. She never paid and I was unable to list my item waiting for her nonpayment to clear. When I relisted the item #**** The user id different id purchased the item has not paid and has not responded. This user id resides at the exact same address. I believe they are bidding on my item so as to remove competition from their own listings. They sell similar merchandise. This seller is wasting my time while they get to sell their items. I do not wish to send this item to them at this point even if they do pay as they are clearly up to no good. I also sent them reminder messages asking if they still wanted the item and they never responded. This is an unscrupulous seller who is resorting to unfair tactics should be under scrutiny as I sure if they are doing this to me they are probably also engaging other sellers with this same practice.

So after 8 days of not paying as soon as I send this email under report buyer. The buyer pays the next day.
Your first mistake was accepting a payment after waiting 8 days. I would have relisted the item after 4 days and been done with it. You should put this in your listing-

Due to the recent influx of non paying bidders, payment is expected within 4 days of auction close unless other arrangements have been made. If payment has not been received and there has been no communication from you, an upaid item case will opened on your behalf and the item will be automatically relisted.

You can actually set your selling preferences to this- http://rebulk.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?UPIPreferences

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I get a few nonpayers here and there, but I think 85% of the people I open nonpayment cases on actually pay. So I do wait out the 8 days.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night in a moment of absurdity I video taped the packing of the item; printed the postage and put it by my front door. This morning I checked the responses again and decided to call eBay. I was a little worried because the last time I called about something I was sure the representative had never used eBay and was reading from a script.
The guy who answered spoke with native eBay dialect and accent. :laughing7: He looked at what was happening and was very helpful. He did tell me I needed to block every user id they were using. I told him I did not have a way to know every id they were using. He chuckled. That part I am still confused about.

I told him my concerned about bad feedback, etc. He said I think you are correct to be concerned. He told me to refund and cancel the transaction and he gave me a reference number in case they leave bad feedback. I processed the refund, canceled the transaction and then voided the postage. I just wrote item no longer available. Now all I have to do is wait a week or so for eBay to refund me and the post office waits till they get good and ready to process the refund. I appreciate everyones help but ultimately I am relieved that they do not get the item on principle.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first mistake was accepting a payment after waiting 8 days. I would have relisted the item after 4 days and been done with it. You should put this in your listing-

Due to the recent influx of non paying bidders, payment is expected within 4 days of auction close unless other arrangements have been made. If payment has not been received and there has been no communication from you, an upaid item case will opened on your behalf and the item will be automatically relisted.

You can actually set your selling preferences to this- http://rebulk.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?UPIPreferences

Dig, I agree with you but I do not know how to stop a payment from happening. I thought that was just to automatically open the case. Does that actually stop them from paying for an auction they won? Or would I still need to refund the payment.

I've had a few bidders write before they bid and say I get paid next Friday can I bid and wait till next Friday to pay. Those people always seem to follow through and I really don't mind waiting but the people who win and have absolutely no communication are always a problem.

I like your wording and will probably add that to my listings. I have been reluctant to write rules because people don't read anyway.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update, the seller denied the cancellation request and I got the automatic message that I will not get my final value fees back. I guess I will call eBay one more time or just forget about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread