Can you belive no one will buy my silver?

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol you guys probly think right off that I want to much. Actually no, I have a set of 1890's sterling silver spoons. now just the scrap is 127 on them at 8 ounces. Well I listed a few on ebay for 13 a piece so ill get at least scrap for them, and haven't sold one! Now I research stuff real well before it ever goes on the bay and there were similar ones selling for 40 or more, and some that were plain scrap for 20 to 30, but heres where I think the difference is, I went back and looked and seems the spoons that aren't polished to a shine are not selling or very low. Why is that? I asked around and looked on here and everyone says to keep the tarnish. So am I missing something? Or is it because on the net with the polish they look like plate? They even have the sterling proofs and word in the pics. Anyways any suggestions would be great. Thanks guy.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the polish them motion. Use a silver cream or cloth so it leaves the pattern standing out.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This might sound strange but raise the price. I have had folks ignore for instance Waterford Crystal because they thought is was to cheap. They think they are getting scammed.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Is there a quick way to polish flatware? I found some plated ariline flatware and they do look bad, but I tried polishing one piece and one piece was not even done after 10 minutes.... My hands cramp bad when doing that type of stuff. If I use a screwdriver for more than a few minutes my hands will become useless.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tarnex. Takes 10 seconds. I dip it in a cup full then into a sink of water. Let dry. Done! You can do a whole flatware set probably less than 10 minutes.

bungyboy

Aug 22, 2014
Southeast of Disorder
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, unbelievably if you want to sell something you have to have a very high asking price because if you don't people think it's junk, broke, or counterfeit.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday there was a listing for scrap silver jewelry and almost zero people were bidding. The same seller had a listing for a bunch of Canadian silver coins, which were also getting no attention. I put in a snipe with Auction Sniper, and the seller ended the auction with about 10 seconds left. I also put in a snipe for the scrap jewelry, and expected him to end that too, and I do believe he had initially tried - the sale sat in limbo for about an hour after I paid. It showed I'd purchased it - but Auction Sniper said my bid failed.

So, my correlation is that scrap silver isn't selling well right now?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember only Charter Members can post links to their ebay sales....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Please remember only Charter Members can post links to their ebay sales....

TH, in past practice, this has been done and has never been a problem. Other members are critiquing their listing. It is relevant to the topic at hand. Has nothing to do with advertising their sales.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, in past practice, this has been done and has never been a problem. Other members are critiquing their listing. It is relevant to the topic at hand. Has nothing to do with advertising their sales.

JB it violates our rules, only CM can post links to their ebay sales. He can give you the title and you can look at it that way on ebay.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rules that make no sense need to be amended. A) No one is selling silver to the people here and B) it is of great value to be able to critique an auction and so improve our game and C) having to work around a rule to do normal business implicitly points out the flaw in the rule. Just my $0.02.

That is not to say people should be able to post sales links. It simply means that not all links to ebay can be considered sales links.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You break rules for one case you have to break them for other cases. One of the advantages of being Charter Member is the ability to post Ebay sales links.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread