Paypal wants a tax number

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
ooooooooo... Bad JuJu Bwana - as they would say in the old Tarzan movies when danger lurked....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They won't do anything with the number, but include it with their tax reports to Uncle Sam. Usually you have to give a federal tax ID #, or, if you don't have one, your SS#. They aren't going to withhold money.
Jim

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
That is so they can send you a 1099-k. They also report to the IRS how much money you made with paypal. Just feel good that your funding some overpaid bureaucrat. lol
They started this in 2012.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so they can send you a 1099-k. They also report to the IRS how much money you made with paypal. Just feel good that your funding some overpaid bureaucrat. lol
They started this in 2012.
I think it is 200 sales or 20,000 bucks which ever comes first.
I think that sucks because I do not keep track of what I paid...when I bought it..or the "profit" or loss..or expenses...
I make sure I do not get 200 sales.
Taxes: The IRS introduces the 1099-K (AKA PayPal 1099) from your online payment provider

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here's the problem. Like Viking said, I buy a lot, break even, and then keep what is left a lot of the time. Therefore I am not making a profit, so I shouldn't have to pay taxes on it right? Thanks for your replies!

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
200 sales AND 20k.
Not one or the other

So you can have a million sales and end at $19,900 and they will not report the earnings

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here's the problem. Like Viking said, I buy a lot, break even, and then keep what is left a lot of the time. Therefore I am not making a profit, so I shouldn't have to pay taxes on it right? Thanks for your replies!

Even if you break 200/$20k, you can still report all expenses (costs, supplies, postage, fees, mileage, etc) to lower that amount. If you break even, then correct, you will not owe any taxes.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a "independent "small " business -- which is what the IRS thinks of you * you have to keep track of A what did you buy it for--- B what it"cost" to clean it ,fix it and sell it *?--- and C what was its final selling price? -- and once you take A+ B --add it together and deduct it from C --what if any "profits" did you make ? D ---because old uncle sugar wants a "cut" of "D" money :BangHead:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as a "independent "small " business -- which is what the IRS thinks of you * you have to keep track of A what did you buy it for--- B what it"cost" to clean it ,fix it and sell it *?--- and C what was its final selling price? -- and once you take A+ B --add it together and deduct it from C --what if any "profits" did you make ? D ---because old uncle sugar wants a "cut" of "D" money :BangHead:

Don't forget mileage (at the IRS rate) in the costs! That can be huge. I also take the home office deduction. I'm not scared of an audit because everything is above board. There's nothing for the IRS to find and anyway they have a lot bigger fish to fry. I know a guy whose home office deductions were included in an audit, but he was really pushing the envelope with it and the upshot was it got cut back to a defensible amount.

What is strange is that I surely I have had 200 sales this year but haven't gotten a form.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
200 sales AND 20k.
Not one or the other

So you can have a million sales and end at $19,900 and they will not report the earnings
Thank you for that information. I think the 1099K is sent out in February along with W2's.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
200 sales AND 20k.
Not one or the other

Someone who knows the facts. :thumbsup: This has been discussed before on here. Technically your supposed to claim any and all monies/profits made on ebay, no matter how small. I'm sure 9 ot of 10 (or more) "small" sellers don't.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically, it is not going to affect me at all until I get 200 sales and $20,000?

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, paypal said it was legit, and basically JustinNH nailed it. Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread