Ebay sales have really slowed for me...How are your sales???

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
After having a very good summer of ebay sales, my sales have really slowed down in the past week.

I don't have anything stellar listed right now, but I do have almost 400 items listed. It has been super slow...almost to a crawl! I did very well until Labor Day, and then BAM! Sales have ground to almost a halt since then.

It does seem that every time I ask this question on this forum, I am the only person experiencing very slow sales.

Anyone else experiencing slow sales this month, or is it just me?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ebay sales are always pretty slow, but I did notice that my etsy store was booming right up until labor day, and then sales dropped off a cliff. At the peak of the back to school boom I was making almost $100 a day on $5-$30 items (vintage clothing, college kids have to look cool for the first week), but now I'm only managing one or two a day, which is a bummer. I feel your pain!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine dropped off after the holiday but likely due to the lack of more desirable merchandise. I gots plenty of junk for sale, just nothing people would fight over.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent sold a single thing this month on eBay or even in my antique mall case. I have items from $2 to $1500 and not even 1 item has sold. SUCKS!!!

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sales are ok for me. The stuff that is selling is mostly practical things . Vintage / antique stuff is slow.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't complain. I shipped off 5 items this morning. One more just paid and I have bids on 4 items ending tonight. This is out of 35 items listed last week, 22 still active.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the replies so far!!!!

My sales on ebay are still slow. Only two items have sold today!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the last two weeks of August off, sales were slow and I had to move my kid to college, but decided to hit it hard after that with a September Sale-athon and did really well. It was a lot of work.

I would not know what to think if I sold two items in a day! If I sell 10 items a week, that is a lot for me. My average item is about $50.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I tell ya, these slow selling times makes me want to take everything I have to the flea market, instead of listing them on ebay.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
After vacations and back to school, I think that people are tightening their wallets a bit (I know that I am!).

Take heart, they'll be back soon enough. Christmas will be here sooner than you think!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sales are ok for me. The stuff that is selling is mostly practical things . Vintage / antique stuff is slow.
Please tell me what is practical! Cosplay horns? Purple wigs? Body plugs? Looks antique and old, but comes from hobby lobby? :BangHead:

I tell ya, these slow selling times makes me want to take everything I have to the flea market, instead of listing them on ebay.
Try you a garage sale at home, first. :laughing7:
I know down here, by the time you've beat a dozen haitian women off, :violent1: from "helping you unpack", :pain10:
you may not have nothing left, to stand there all day with and bake in the sun. :angry4:
I hate doing that flea market alone. :whip2: Plus, I have a/c at home. :laughing7:

I seem to get a lot of hits a day on etsy with my seo searches, not many sales, just a few.
Ebay I just started back on, maybe 4 hits/views in 2 days, I could be more motivated, :-\
oh well....... :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Good idea about a garage sale, pat, but we flea market and ebay for a living.

We are in a very good indoor FM, and we have 5 spots there. Four full booths and a shelf.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, as soon as I complain about low sales, I make 9 Etsy and 3 ebay sales in one day. Go figure, I guess the universe got sick of my whining.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually only have 2 to 4 items listed but I have noticed the slowness.
I had an item listed that usually goes for anywhere between 10-40 bucks. Mine was not moving so I tried the tactic of starting bidding at .99 for the first time. I had bought this pc. in a lot and have already made money on it so I figured, why not.

It sold........yep for .99

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Sales continue to be slow for me.

I have noticed ebay is sending more promotions...when I see tons of ebay promotions, that generally says that sales are down for the whole market, generally speaking,of course.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. We sell a lot of stuff on ebay at my business. It does of course depend on what you sell. For jewelry, vintage & designer accessories, antiques and collectibles it generally runs like this:

Jan - high volume
Feb - very high volume (lots of jewelry)
March - high volume
April - high volume
May - very high volume
June - medium volume
July - medium volume
August - low volume
September - very low volume
October - low volume
November - very high volume
December - very high volume

I have to explain this to my colleagues each year at this time. Based on thousands of transactions every period so it's pretty accurate.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deal in collectibles but I only have 25 or 35 sales a month. Here is what my sales look like by month. There is a clean pattern there. There are a lot of factors other than month in here, of course... how much time I have, how much stuff I find to sell, how motivated I am.

I like this chart because I have dedicated myself to ebay this year and as a result my sales are up about 50%.

sales.jpg

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hi. We sell a lot of stuff on ebay at my business. It does of course depend on what you sell. For jewelry, vintage & designer accessories, antiques and collectibles it generally runs like this:

Jan - high volume
Feb - very high volume (lots of jewelry)
March - high volume
April - high volume
May - very high volume
June - medium volume
July - medium volume
August - low volume
September - very low volume
October - low volume
November - very high volume
December - very high volume

I have to explain this to my colleagues each year at this time. Based on thousands of transactions every period so it's pretty accurate.

Thank you...I do appreciate your post.

Could you CC me on this every year too?

I had forgotten that last year, at this time, Lionel trains were hitting all time lows on ebay. I started buying trains up in October, and flipped them later in the year.

It is still a little unnerving for me. Our sales have really slowed, and it is hard to start shelling out hundreds of dollars when you see sinking values every day! KWIM?

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really depends on what im trying to sell. gold, silver, coins never slow. toys and crafty item fluctuates. paper products ie: old manuals, catalogs have always been kind of hit or miss for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread