Ebay/paypal costs

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
No doubt ebay has made a lot of changes to their policies that have benefited the buyer over the seller. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying ebay has crapped all over the seller. That doesn't mean ebay has somehow taken away the rights of the sellers. It's their business & their playground. You have the right to buy/sell on ebay as long as you agree to their policies & terms of service. You also have the right to NOT do business there. That's the extent of your rights. Ebay's terms of service aren't now, & never have been, equivalent to rights.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt ebay has made a lot of changes to their policies that have benefited the buyer over the seller. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying ebay has crapped all over the seller. That doesn't mean ebay has somehow taken away the rights of the sellers. It's their business & their playground. You have the right to buy/sell on ebay as long as you agree to their policies & terms of service. You also have the right to NOT do business there. That's the extent of your rights. Ebay's terms of service aren't now, & never have been, equivalent to rights.

The rights of a EBay seller have been trampled which is why I no longer sell on EBay. Seller's rights will continue to be trampled as long as sellers are willing to allow it and don't have the courage to stand up against it..

As example where is the right to leave negative feedback on bad buyers, oh that is right, they took it away.....

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not an ebay fan boy, but would someone explain to me what these rights everyone keeps talking about? its their sand box you can play by their rules or not. i sell and buy on ebay. and have done quite well with both. when ebay changes their user policy, you have two choices adapt or close up shop, and try to find another site to sell on, which i have had no luck in finding another site where i can do as well.

i do a lot of research on what i list, if i cant turn a decent profit on the item i move on to the next. yes it stinks that ebay favors the buyer but without the buyer there is no ebay. if your up front and honest and take some small steps to protect your self against dishonest buyers, you have little to worry about.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said go back and look at the 1997 and 1999 User agreements and see how they have changed compared to now...... The changes has been to the total benefit of the buyers......

The rights we had as sellers in 1999 are no longer there.......

Explain to me how EBAY would function with out sellers. Who does Ebay make their money from...The sellers not the buyers..

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there has to be both sellers and buyers, one would think that ebay would favor the ones making them money, the sellers. but as the past has proven ebay doesn't think along those lines. and has left me scratching my head many late nights, so much so im bald now. im glad im just a part time seller now. i made a good living for six years i don't think i could do it now, now days im very picky about what i list i only do two or three a month now. my item has to be a real gem of an item, to even consider it.

i haven't read the new user agreement with the six month return policy yet. i just may be done with it all together now, and just take what i can get at the many pawn shops around here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trying to talk anyone into quit selling on EBay. I stopped selling on EB because I got fed up with them trampling on the sellers rights..... If people want to continue to sell on EB that is their choice..

Someone said EB was only matching the rules of credit cards. You have 2 billing cycles to dispute a charge on your card not 6 months, after 2 months CC is under no obligation to investigate the dispute, and I am 99.9% sure disputes have to be a minimum of $50...

Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a free market, it's the golden rule: he who has the gold makes the rules. That is true whether it's a garage sale or a corporation such as ebay.

Especially now that money is speech and "Corporations are people, too." ebay has all the rights of an individual, plus they can't go to jail, they can move all their profits offshore to avoid tax, and legally their only moral code is profit.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
To divert this a little, but still topic related, you'll notice that the newer PayPal interface hides functionality. Each time you log in, you see the new interface. If you're in a hurry, as I was when I sent "gift", it did not give me the option of "friend & family", thus I had that $43 fee for sending the money. The word "assumed" was my mistake. Had I taken the time to switch to "Classic" interface I would have had that option.....

Tricky for a reason.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To divert this a little, but still topic related, you'll notice that the newer PayPal interface hides functionality. Each time you log in, you see the new interface. If you're in a hurry, as I was when I sent "gift", it did not give me the option of "friend & family", thus I had that $43 fee for sending the money. The word "assumed" was my mistake. Had I taken the time to switch to "Classic" interface I would have had that option.....

Tricky for a reason.....
Watch the classic view will disappear one day soon..

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The rights of a EBay seller have been trampled which is why I no longer sell on EBay. Seller's rights will continue to be trampled as long as sellers are willing to allow it and don't have the courage to stand up against it..
Go back and look at EBays terms of agreement in 1997, and in 1999 when I joined and then look at them now.

The rights of the sellers have been trampled in favor of buyers...

I see. Ebay had a set of rules in the late 90's that gave sellers certain rights. The rule changes over the years have slowly chipped away at those rights. A similar situation would be this forum. When it was started there were rules, or a lack thereof. Those rules gave users rights. The changes over the last few years have been taking away our rights. If that's not a correct analogy maybe you could explain why.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see. Ebay had a set of rules in the late 90's that gave sellers certain rights. The rule changes over the years have slowly chipped away at those rights. A similar situation would be this forum. When it was started there were rules, or a lack thereof. Those rules gave users rights. The changes over the last few years have been taking away our rights. If that's not a correct analogy maybe you could explain why.
EBay is a public traded company, TreasureNet is a private own company, but I will bite..

99.9% of our rules in effect were in effect when I joined in 2006... What rights have we taken away?

Last edited:

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think at one time you didn't need to be a charter member to sell on this site? now you do, that's all i can think of.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think at one time you didn't need to be a charter member to sell on this site? now you do, that's all i can think of.
It has been that way since shortly after I joined which is before trdhrdr joined, but your correct that was changed

It was changed to protect our members because of the number of rip offs of our members by new members who just joined to sell. Since that change I can only think of one case of a bad sell by a CM and that was years ago....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything, the rules on this forum have laxed a whole lot in comparison to when Marc owned the forum. Also anyone that can't cough up a few bucks to become a charter member shouldn't be allowed to sell on here anyway. Most forums where buying and selling is allowed are like that.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'll be blunt. Any entity, either public or private, can establish a set of policies and/or terms of service terms....& can make changes to them at any time. Policies & terms of service are not the same as rights. Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't follow the generally accepted definition of rights:

Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement; that is, rights are the fundamental normative rules about what is allowed of people or owed to people, according to some legal system, social convention, or ethical theory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread