Paypal 6 months returns

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I haven't actually read this but I just got a phone call from somebody who's been selling on eBay since they started and he was saying that PayPal is updating their return policy where you can claim something is damaged or was not received up to six months after you sold it.

Maybe there was a thread on this already but so I could go by the new iPhone now and in five months drop it on the ground and crack it and return it saying it was sent defective right? I guess I have no more info other than that from when I was told but if that's the case that's crazy!

Sorry if I jumped the gun on the thread before actually read everything. I'm just not home at the moment and I kind a got me upset hearing that. I'm wondering if anyone else read up about that too.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a jackass move! Why would someone need 6 months to file a claim on something "significantly not as described?" Shouldn't that be evident withing the first day or at least week of receiving it? I know it has always been 45 days but 6 months is ridiculous. Can someone say s-t-u-p-i-d?

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ebayrentals.jpg

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I bought a White's Spectra V3i and the seller said no returns so can't you just do the same, state no returns, no problem, right?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I bought a White's Spectra V3i and the seller said no returns so can't you just do the same, state no returns, no problem, right?
If it were only so easy. Any disclaimer by any seller on ebay doesn't amount to a pile of beans. Ebay and Paypal policies override all others.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I just want to let you know that I like to return my 1 ounce bar of gold. Gold 5 months ago was $1400/oz now it's $1100. I would like to return this for a refund! How stupid! Are they trying to outdo Amazon that's ridiculous!!! Walmart doesn't even have a six-month return policy! And they know their stuff going to break it's all junk there!

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay is comprised of sellers providing a product to buyers.

Ebay seems to have forgotten that it is a community of sellers. It has so completely slanted the playing field in favor of buyers, that it is risking self-destruction. Sellers are leaving for Etsy, and other freer markets.

And the more Ebay loses, the more it will incorrectly interpret its loss of market share, and the more it slant the field in favor of buyers.

Ebay is slowly killing itself.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the interest of playing Devil's advocate, I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a legitimate use for a 180-day return policy. Drawing a blank. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense. It doesn't even make sense in terms of them trying to increase market share, because in the absence of a legitimate use of a 6-month return policy, you attract opportunists, not customers.

Am I missing something? Any conspiracy theorists want to give this one a go?

I can see the logic behind most of eBay/PayPal's recent bad decisions, but this is just impenetrable.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way to fight it is for sellers to stop selling till EBay changes its policies towards sellers... As long as sellers continue to accept being taken advantage of EB will continue to screw sellers..

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way to fight it is for sellers to stop selling till EBay changes its policies towards sellers... As long as sellers continue to accept being taken advantage of EB will continue to screw sellers..

Yep. This will become a trend. There are enough problems with Ebay buyers now. You can't leave negative feedback. Buyers already have way to much power. Ebay lets the buyers do, just about what they want. I..quit!. I do not want buyers automatically getting their money back...2, 3,4, 5, or 6 months later. And they will! Ebay is enabling this kind of behavior. Pure BS. This will not go over well for anyone.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest though I have only had one person make a claim in a 45 day period. I don't know how many would actually do it in a six-month other than the typical scamming people? Do a lot of buyers know to go on PayPal to open a dispute because I think most of them go through eBay and if it doesn't show six months ago that they bought something most of them don't know do you want to PayPal and open a dispute I don't think?

Heck half of them can't even email you without opening a case!

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been selling really heavy for the past 5 months - I haven't had any problem with chargebacks yet. Not saying it won't happen and I am literally knocking on wood, but what kind of real impact will this have on sellers? I think I would be more nervous if I dealt in jewelry and super high-end stuff though.

I can remember the good old days when a seller could send you something busted up and if the buyer didn't pay for insurance they were screwed. I still come across auctions sometimes where the seller tries to say it is the buyers responsibility to buy insurance.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read that the change to 6 months is because that is the time period credit cards have always used to dispute charges.

So, right now, if a buyer used a credit card to pay for something through paypal, and then did a chargeback 5 months later, their credit card company will cover them -- and leave paypal in the hole. So paypal is fixing that for themselves.

I also understand the language is being cleaned up and revised because of all the alarm. I think the number of buyers who return things after 6 months is a pretty small number indeed. Maybe I should be worried, but I'm not.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read that the change to 6 months is because that is the time period credit cards have always used to dispute charges.

So, right now, if a buyer used a credit card to pay for something through paypal, and then did a chargeback 5 months later, their credit card company will cover them -- and leave paypal in the hole. So paypal is fixing that for themselves.

I also understand the language is being cleaned up and revised because of all the alarm. I think the number of buyers who return things after 6 months is a pretty small number indeed. Maybe I should be worried, but I'm not.

Now it's making sense.

The number of buyers who will ever try to pull something after 30 days belong to an elite group of scammers that we fortunately won't see much of. I was wondering why they would even open that door in the first place. The credit card thing clears it up.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have 60 days, (2 billing cycles) to dispute a charge on credit card not 6 months, otherwise the credit card company isn't required to investigate.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see them doing 90 days, but 180? :BangHead:
I see what you're saying about the c/c companies charging back paypal and them getting stiffed too.
I reviewed the list of stuff that doesn't qualify for 6 mnth reimbursement. I have to wonder about things like, food products, consumables and useable products (soaps, nail polish, lipstick, make-up, etc.....) I have temporary tattoos for sale, how many are going to request money back AFTER they use them? Saying, oh, didn't work like they should, defective, etc........
Or, the ppl that just don't take care of things and break them, that is not a seller's fault, but I can see where a buyer could play it.

I guess most of us aren't going to see how this washes out, until APRIL or MAY of 2015, 5 or 6 months after this goes into effect?
I hope Paypal is keeping a log of "case abusers" and is going to have some kind of file for buyers to report scammers and/or some way they weed might them out. Does someone need to start paypal blacklist for buyers (or is that already on the net?)?
Good luck all.

13.3 Ineligible Items. PayPal Purchase Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods. Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

Intangible items, including Digital Goods
Services
Real estate, including residential property
Businesses
Vehicles, including motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats
Significantly Not As Described issues for Custom-made items
Travel tickets, including airline flight tickets
Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy
Items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought through In-Store Checkout at the retail point of sale
Items that violate eBay’s Prohibited or Restricted Items Policy
Industrial machinery used in manufacturing
Items equivalent to cash, including prepaid or gift cards
PayPal Direct Payments
Virtual Terminal Payments
Personal Payments

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread