Would you open a case?

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so I found what I thought was going to be an excellent deal on some buffalo nickels. I paid $40 for what was supposed to be full date buffalo nickels with these dates (ignoring mint marks) 28,25,37,25,20,13,35,15,20,15,26,20,34,28,27,36,14,22,23,35,13,24,35,35,38,18,25,17,35,14,35,37,18,35,38,27,37,28,16,37. They all looked great in the picture with several mint marks. Since they're mostly early 20s and 10s it was definitely worth the $40. I get them today and its no where close to the right dates. He didn't list the dates in the description it was in a ebay message. There were several no dates and half the roll was 1930s. I ask him if there was a mixup with coins and he said "I am honestly very sorry I had mixed up different coins I had already sold the coins I mixed up on cregslist again I am sorry for the mistake". I politely asked about a refund or some kind of compensation. I told him I would only buy them based on the dates he said. He then told me the listing did say no refunds. I then told him that I don't want to open a Item not as described case, but I would if I had to. I get no response from him. Sorry for the long rant, but should I open a case against him? I've never had to open a case as a buyer, only when selling for non paying bidders.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Tough call, up to you....

However, in your date list there are 14 from the 1930's which is approaching half a roll. The several "no dates" would explicitly violate the terms of the sale. And, it does sound obvious from your description and his reaction that you did not get what you expected....

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He did not provide what he said he would provide.

(honestly, he never intended to)

Open a dispute.

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the dates I got: 6x 1937, 1x 1936, 9x 1935, 3x 1928, 2x 1927, 2x 1926, 3x 1925, 1x 1924, 3x 1920, and 10 no dates. The majority of the 1920s nickels are almost unreadable.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gave him an opportunity to make it right - he didnt. Open up a case and don't worry about it.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said no refunds for a long time. But if I genuinely screwed up then of course I would make a refund. I would just open the case.

TwistedElvis

Aug 4, 2014
Sunny San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minilab CTX 3030 / Excalibur II 1000 / Tesoro Sand Shark / Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
False advertising a product TRUMPS a No return policy!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I do NO REFUNDS on all of my auctions but accept things back all of the time if I messed up. He sounds like he knew what he was doing, which was screwing a buyer over! Open the case.

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started the process of it. I'm not sure how to open a case though. Ebay tells me the item is not covered under their money back guarantee. Do I need to send the seller a message first (I replied to a previous message to begin with instead of starting a new one)?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started the process of it. I'm not sure how to open a case though. Ebay tells me the item is not covered under their money back guarantee. Do I need to send the seller a message first (I replied to a previous message to begin with instead of starting a new one)?
It should be covered. I've never heard of such a thing. What was the reason they said it isn't covered? Here is the link to open a case-
Online Customer Support

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on that page and eventually got to where I can select what item was messed up, but this item isn't there. Do I have to wait a couple days first?

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what ebay says:
Can the item be returned?
This item can't be returned right now, and the item isn't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee right now.
You can contact the seller for help.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what ebay says: Can the item be returned? This item can't be returned right now, and the item isn't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee right now. You can contact the seller for help.

Skip the ebay case and open the dispute directly on paypal. Much easier that way.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it when an individual seller sticks to their "policy" as if they were a huge corporate entity. I would hold this POS seller to the fire on this one.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it when an individual seller sticks to their "policy" as if they were a huge corporate entity. I would hold this POS seller to the fire on this one.

You can say you don't accept returns but
PayPal can force you to by taking the money right from your account

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might have to wait until Wednesday to open the case, as that would be the last possible day for delivery, since they didn't upload tracking.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might have to wait until Wednesday to open the case, as that would be the last possible day for delivery, since they didn't upload tracking.

No waiting necessary. You have item and it was not as described. Open the case with PayPal asap because it will take a while to get through the process

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is my eBay buyer and seller (Mostly Buying). She holds sellers feet to the fire and has to open cases with several sellers. In most cases, the seller offers to resolve the issue well before elevating it to eBay's resolution process.

Once, my wife sold an Item for me, a $40.00 item. Turned out it was not what I thought it was. Ooops. When he informed her of the mistake, she refunded his money and told him to keep the item.

That's just the way it works. You mess up, you take the loss. The snakes misrepresenting their items on eBay can only prevail if you do nothing. If people complain when an Items is misrepresented, they can't make money and shut down or go back to flea markets.

Hope you settle this favorably.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
That dude needs to have a case opened on him.

There are honest mistakes, and then there are scam artists.

Open the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread